Tarot of Dreams – The Wheel

Noir

Like the image of the card itself, The Wheel is, for me, one of the most intricate and complex cards in the Major Arcana. Before I get into the card itself, I wanted to say something about the animated version of the card on the CD.

Unlike some of the cards, the animated version of the Wheel does add another dimension to the experience of the card. In the animated version, several things occur. The inner cursor moves one full cycle, but does not complete the second cycle. Each time you access the card, the cursor ends on a different astrological sign during the second cycle. In addition, the starburst flanked by two dolphin at the bottom of the card changes from the symbol of Jupiter to a series of moon phases. When the cursor stops on the final astrological sign, one of the four moon phases freezes in the lower area. What does all this mean? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Unlike other versions of the Wheel (or Wheel of Fortune, as it is called in some decks), the ToD does not have people or mystical creatures as part of its imagery. Instead, there is an intricately arranged mechanical instrument that is similar to the one shown in the Eight of Coins. I feel this nicely ties together the most spiritual aspect of the deck (the Majors) with what is often viewed as the most mundane or physical aspect of the deck (Coins). We all have our work to do, even the universe. The center dial has all 12 astrological signs on it, with a cursor that is pointing to Sagittarius. At the bottom of this dial are four starbursts, each inset with a symbol for one of the four seasons of the year. Below this, there are two dolphins resting or pointing to a smaller circle in which appears the symbol for Jupiter amidst a set of clockwork. Interestingly, the symbol for Jupiter, which rules this card, is drawn to look more like the number 4, reinforcing the importance of this number and its connection to previous incarnations of this card. For example, the RWS symbolism has four figures that are associated with several things: the four fixed signs of Babylonian astrology, the four elements associated with the four suits of the Tarot, the four letters of God’s name in Hebrew, and so on. In the upper left corner is a smaller dial, and there the cursor is pointing to the Roman numeral V or five. The pointed stop associated with this dial is resting on the symbol for Aquarius.

My first impression of the mechanical instrument featured on the Wheel was that it was a type of clock, perhaps invoking the Newtonian model of the universe as a gigantic machine, set in motion by God. The Wheel is often associated with concepts such as fate, karma, and luck, which can be seen to be somewhat mechanical, as well as the idea of destiny. However, as I looked at the card more closely, the mechanism appeared more like an elaborate security device, not unlike the tumbler dial locks on a bank vault. The mechanism sits on what appears to be a tiled wall but could just as well be a door. The feeling is that, if you could line up everything correctly on this device, the door would crack open along the inscribed lines and the secrets of the card would be revealed.

I find this to be a very powerful and intriguing image because of the way it speaks to the concepts evoked by the Wheel. To me, fate, karma, and luck are all mechanical in the way they work, just like the mechanistic devices on the face of the card. As outlined by thinkers like Descarte and Newton, the view of the universe as deterministic, reductionist, and materialistic was a huge advance scientifically from the previous supernatural view inherent in alchemy and mysticism. Unfortunately, in addition to be limited, it also marginalized human beings, who were simply cogs in giant wheels of the universe. As the Newtonian view became the dominant paradigm, art and literature began to reflect the growing sense of despair, alienation, and hopelessness that were the byproducts of this worldview. To exist in a universe ruled by fate, luck, or karma is to be a pawn, to have no meaningful way to grow or evolve, and to be trapped within the caprice of forces beyond your understanding. Therefore, while encountering the outer aspect of the Wheel is an advance in the journey of the Fool, but it is only half way to his or her ultimate destination.

Destiny, on the other hand, is not mechanical, nor is it controlled by the rules of a mechanical universe. In Chinese medicine, there is a both an outer and inner tradition. The “inner tradition” concerns itself with using medical arts to help the patient achieve their highest level of evolution – in other words, to achieve their destiny. In this view, destiny is not preordained but emerges organically from each moment of our lives. This quote from Charles Reade captures this perfectly:

Sow a thought, and you reap an act;
Sow an act, and you reap a habit;
Sow a habit, and you reap a character;
Sow a character, and you reap a destiny.

According to the “inner tradition,” the universe plants a seed of our original nature in each of us. Fulfilling our destiny consists of becoming aware of this original nature and exercising our will (zhi) in order to make choices in alignment with it. It is the job of the Heart (Xin) to perceive this truth and communicate it to our mind. What happens when we finally comprehend the Wheel, when we penetrate into its innermost workings? To utilize the imagery of the ToD, this would be like figuring out the mechanical lock and setting it to the proper coordinates. Once that happened, the door opens to what lies beyond – your destiny. The dolphins, which have been associated with everything from love and desire for knowledge in the Christian tradition to intelligence, playfulness, and harmony in many indigenous cultures, seem to symbolize this. Bursten suggests dolphins signify guidance in an unknown world, which I think it very appropriate.

In addition to the ideas around destiny, the card can also refer to a sense of movement or change, a turning point, or a suggestion to ponder one’s larger vision of life. It can also refer to changes coming or occurring that are due to larger forces and an opportunity to do things differently in one’s life. Bursten gives several suggestions that, to me, speak to the reverse meaning of this card, such as succumbing to mechanical thinking, feeling like things are out of our control, giving into despair, etc. To be lost in such a place implies a perspective that has become too narrow, a life that has become too small.

Sheri

In some of the other decks I have, The Wheel seems to have an element of gambling or fate associated with it. When I looked at this card, I get the sense that the universe is very ordered and that we all have our parts to play.

What immediately struck me was the mechanisms and I made a connection to The Hanging Man card...it seems that he has suspended himself beneath some mechanism of which you see small portions of.

Noir, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for spearheading a study thread for the ToD! I also am facinated by your insight into these cards. I do not have a background in metaphysics nor have I done much...ok, any research into it other than my briefest of study (so far) of the Tarot. I learn sooooo much from your postings! Just wanted to say thanks! :D

valeria :)

Noir

valeria,
You are very welcome. :)

However, the wonderful thing about metaphysics is that a fresh set of eyes can often see further than a set that has seen a great deal. I would not sell yourself short. For example, you made an insightful connection between the Wheel and the Hanging Man. Now when I see either of these cards, I will think of the connection you made for us and use that to explore angles I would not have thought of before. That is what makes a study group such a gift - that each person weaves a strand into a tapestry that become more intricate and beautiful with each contribution.

Therefore, I would like to thank you as well for your graciousness in sharing your thoughts and insights with us. They are very much appreciated!

HarleyQuinnX

I really don't have much to say about the Wheel. I think that the Wheel is one of my all-time least interesting Tarot cards. I have no clue why.

Anyways, I do like the way that Ciro put dolphins in the card. Dolphins known for being very playful. Maybe his is suggesting something along the lines of "Life has a sense of humor"?

I also noticed the visible gears in bottom of the card. There are many gears, but very few seem to connect in a coherent way, at least from what we can see.