Reverse Engineering Occult Knowledge

nyx*

Hi all,

Since we've seem to discuss off and on the difficulties of picking up and digging into the Thoth deck for those who, like myself, do not have the benefit of having already studied Western occult traditions, I thought it would be good to address that issue with the Thoth deck in mind, but stepping away from the Book of Thoth for the moment. I think if we discuss different roads to approaching the Thoth deck and the BoT apart from just beating our heads against Crowley's works, it would help those of us not in the know about his way of doing things to catch up on our basic Western occult knowledge and hopefully give us a better appreciation for Crowley and the BoT.

Obviously astrology and Qabalah were important factors in the creation of the cards and it's reasonable to assume that they are important to the understanding and use of them as well (although they aren't the only important elements since this is, after all, a tarot deck). The LWB that came with my large white-boxed deck has a suggested reading list, which I found to be a really good idea and I'm working on collecting those books for my reference. I've got a fair amount of Crowley at home (I've always loved just reading his pretty, pretty words) but zip from anyone else on Western mystical practices. I'm planning on taking an astrology course sooner or later (depending on the teacher's availability) but as a bibliomaniac I feel it is my sacred duty to keep a stash of quality reference books around me, too.

My question to all the other Thoth users, at any and all levels of practice, is what books not specifically about the Thoth have been most helpful to you in understanding concepts in the Thoth or what books have you previously studied that you now find to have been a good foundation for working with the Thoth? I find myself going back through the Book of the Law and the Book of Lies to reacquaint myself with the general Crowley mindset, but I also think it's important to spread the reading around to other authors just to keep things lively for me. What books on astrology, Qabalah, magick, or any other related topic do you feel are the most helpful in understanding all the elements that are present in this deck?

And yes, I'm asking as much out of my own ignorance as anything else. ;) I've got to start somewhere. . .

nyx*

Macavity

Well, as someone learning myself, I found these helpful:

<Thinking: Hmmm... Not specifically not ON the Thoth, Eh?>

Tarot and the Magus - Paul Hughes-Barlow (see my review here!) ;)

(O.K. I lied... But this is about the ONLY book I have found that really addresses the issues of actually reading the Thoth deck in the traditional Golden Dawn ways. There is e.g. very little traditional "divinatory" content.)

Then, the basic stuff, I suppose:

777 and other Qabalistic Writings - Crowley (Correspondences!)
Chicken Qabalah - Duquette (Understanding Qabala and Decans)
Keywords for Astrology - Banzhaf and Haebler (Astrologers wince?)
The Magick of Thelema - Duquette (Also contains the Book of Law)

More on Western Tradition (Magick) generally? ...

Modern Magick Ed.2 - Kraig (Notions of Ceremonial Magick)
Greater Key of Solomon the King - Mathers (Angels)
Lesser Key of Solomon the King - Mathers (Deamons)
Nightside of Eden - Kenneth Grant (Genii of Qliphoth)
Abramelin the Mage - Mathers (Nice holiday project?) :laugh:
Enochian Sex Magick - Duquette and Hyatt (Little sex, mostly Enochian)
Tarot of Ceremonial Magick + Book - Duquette (All of the above?)
Enochian Scrying Tarot (Coming soon hopefully)

If I had a lot more money, I'd probably invest in the various books by Regardie...
I'd like to know more from Dion Fortune too? :D

Macavity

nyx*

wooo!

Excellent! Thanks for the info, Macavity!

I like Dion Fortune, but all I've got as of yet is Psychic Self-Defense (a good book but unlikely to help much with tarot). I know she's got a book about the Qabalah that I've heard good things about, so I'm guessing that wouldn't be the worst addition to list. I was just given a copy of The Magic of Thelema but it's not very close to the top of the "to read" pile yet. I need to work on that. I've just read your review of Tarot and the Magus and it looks like that's a book that will be going on my wishlist. It sounds like it will be helpful.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I think trips to the library and bookstore are in order.

Phoenyx*

I've got The Golden Dawn by Regardie, The Book of Thoth by Crowley of course, I've also got The Witches' Qabala by Ellen Cannon Reed and uh...those are all in the "to be read" category :)

nyx*

Excellent!

I'm off to my wishlist right now. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure they're just what I need. Good thing the ol' man is getting ready to build me some new shelves. It looks like I'll need all the space I can get. :)

n*