Tiny crystals?

celticnoodle

very pretty, jolie! and a great idea too!

daenys

I agree, that's gorgeous, Jolie. Since I'm a novice with crystals, may I ask what the iridescent yet metallic black crystal is?

jolie_amethyst

Thanks...I'm enjoying pairing favorite crystals with polished chips lately. I suspect it's another way of boosting their properties a bit too, which is why I've used so much clear quartz.

Sorry for forgetting to label the pics!

Top image: labradorite on moonstone chips. This is my "pet rock" that ends up in my pocket or hand all the time. It sits on my nightstand--any bedside stones I put there are safer from being knocked about now that they're in a bowl.

Lower left: rhodonite, raw ruby, rose quartz, amethyst, and a bit of honey calcite on a thin layer of clear quartz (that container is a pillar candleholder, of dark glass & very shallow)

Lower right: The crazy wild rainbowy one is an "enhanced" crystal called titanium aura (most of the time; I've seen it called rainbow aura and dark rainbow aura too). It's basically a cluster with titanium and sometimes other metals electroplated onto it. That piece is about 3" x 2"...my mother in law sent it for my birthday. :) The main reason it's on that crystal bed is that the coating is brittle--it doesn't hold up very well to handling. Putting it in a display like that reminds me not to pick it up every five minutes while at my desk. LOL I've since added a small fluorite tower to this bowl.

Chips are available in bulk from some vendors on etsy & ebay. All mine so far are from seller "worldofgaia" on ebay. A 1/2 lb of chips (the smallest amount I've bought) can fill 2-3 small bowls or candleholders...these are mostly in little 4-5" vintage relish bowls or small to medium glass candleholders.

Deanne

Thanks everyone! Sorry I took a while to reply, kind of forgot about this post (oops...!)

Seems there are a few options, but mostly decorative ones. I don't know if I could put the crystals out anywhere unless they were in an enclosed display, as I have cats that get into everything. I do really like the way some of your ideas look though - these pictures definitely give me some inspiration :)
I'm going to a couple garage sales this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for any display cases that may work.

daenys

Lower right: The crazy wild rainbowy one is an "enhanced" crystal called titanium aura (most of the time; I've seen it called rainbow aura and dark rainbow aura too). It's basically a cluster with titanium and sometimes other metals electroplated onto it. That piece is about 3" x 2"...my mother in law sent it for my birthday. :) The main reason it's on that crystal bed is that the coating is brittle--it doesn't hold up very well to handling. Putting it in a display like that reminds me not to pick it up every five minutes while at my desk. LOL I've since added a small fluorite tower to this bowl.

It's amazing what gemologists come up with sometimes. Thanks.