To blog or not to blog (or rather when)

Tanga

What's that line with your web address at the bottom of your posts, AJ? I assume that's allowed? I'd put mine there if it's allowed and I knew how to do it.

...I thought you could put working links in your signature if you're a subscriber... :)
Ask in 'Forum Help' - I've forgotten how to do it... (someone did explain once...).

Nemia

I started a blog some time ago and deleted everything, it seemed redundant. Now I started again and I enjoy it. I'm all alone there but I don't mind. I used to have a wildly popular blog for 12 years under another name in another language... and now I'm writing for myself :)

Le Fanu

To be honest, I wouldn't be interested in reading blog reviews from someone who got "free" review copies.

Sorry about that :D I'm sure I have read a few in my time and wouldn't always know. But nothing renders a review more meaningless for me than the "disclaimer" that it was a review copy but the opinions are your own etc etc.

I have - or had - a blog which I keep meaning to go back to and pick up again and yet it never quite happens. But I still think (despite time passing and so many other commitments) I'll go back to it. I don't think of it as entirely dead, more like a slumbering entity that I can resuscitate at any given time. But it's very much connected - in most cases - to the tarot phase you are in. I'm sure I'll go back to it one day and, like Nemia, enjoy it again.

I really enjoyed doing mine when I was in that phase - for me, putting words to a deck I loved was a way of articulating to myself, trying to pinpoint what I most loved about it.

My tarot buying habits at that time were the same as they always were. I'm sure the idea of free decks is enormously appealing. But I would only review a deck if I loved it after - of course - I had bought it with my own money. I didn't want to be indebted to a tarot deck creator to have to say nice things and *bend* my tastes to liking it and being positive. Life's too short!

AJ

What's that line with your web address at the bottom of your posts, AJ? I assume that's allowed? I'd put mine there if it's allowed and I knew how to do it.

as far as I can see there isn't a link at the bottom of any of my posts, the mods would have had me for breakfast if there is a personal link on my post.
tell me more? can you do a screen capture? anyone else see it?

the only members I've ever seen privileges to do that is the Baba woman and the two that did tarot garden.

edited to add, do you mean the link to another part of AT in post 2? That is a compilation of member blog links. Old thread but some of them might come up as active.

gregory

I don't blog. I KNOW I don't have stuff to say that others need to read (as in the sense of it being worth their while) so I am not cluttering the web with my ramblings. I have done the occasional review here, but again - I am well aware that I very often disagree with others (not to mention that there is a small cadre here who believe LoS pay me - which they don't but there you go !)

I read the occasional blog, and I follow one or two I really like - Leffy's and AJ's spring to mind at once (since they are two people in this thread who have mentioned theirs.) I don't usually read ones that are "all" reviews; I prefer more discussion ones, myself. There are plenty of views of decks posted here - as well as the on-site reviews for blog reviews to be just extras.

Nemia

Gregory, you have a point there. I also feel that the world is full already of so many words... I write here... I write in my tarot journal... so why go over it again? and write even more?

For me, writing is a way to let of steam - a kind of pensieve. I need it now. Once I don't need it any more, I'll stop. I don't expect others to read it, I don't feel that I have something super important to say.

But I like reading tarot blogs and do so regularly, and I admire the beautiful pictures of beautiful people doing beautiful spreads on beautiful tables with beautiful cats and beautiful crystals :) I can't do that. And many people write really interesting things. Have great ideas for spreads. They do spellwork and shadow work and things I don't know to do. I learn by reading and write to air out my thoughts.

Alta

This changed a while ago. Any member can put it inactive (passive) link in their signature, subscribers can have a hot link.

gregory

Gregory, you have a point there. I also feel that the world is full already of so many words... I write here... I write in my tarot journal... so why go over it again? and write even more?

For me, writing is a way to let of steam - a kind of pensieve. I need it now. Once I don't need it any more, I'll stop. I don't expect others to read it, I don't feel that I have something super important to say.

But I like reading tarot blogs and do so regularly, and I admire the beautiful pictures of beautiful people doing beautiful spreads on beautiful tables with beautiful cats and beautiful crystals :) I can't do that. And many people write really interesting things. Have great ideas for spreads. They do spellwork and shadow work and things I don't know to do. I learn by reading and write to air out my thoughts.
Oh sure. I was just saying why I don't blog myself. If I thought them a total waste, I wouldn't read any of them... ;) I do learn from the ones I read (if I am not learning from them, I close the tab) - I just said I only FOLLOW a few. But blogs used primarily as a mechanism to post endless reviews - no.

I would go into more precise detail, but that would mean picking on one or two specifics which would effectively suggest one blog is better than another - and without having read EVERY TAROT BLOG (and no, of course one can't !) I'm not going there !

euripides

I'd say do it as a way to get stuff off your chest - writing is a good way to organize your ideas and corral them for future reference. Might as well put it out there. But don't expect to get any kind of recompense (even review decks) - the effort required to create a readership and sustain a good blog vastly outweighs anything you'd get back. (I wrote freelance online for 12 years. It's a tough gig.)

I'd quit AT a while back and had thought I'd write a book or something (*rofl* yeah right) but you know, the best thing about AT is the conversation. Even though I might be theoretically creating content for someone else (though, you do retain copyright of your posts) - and even paying for the privilege - it's a community, so I'm happy to contribute. I do have a personal blog that I use for academic stuff, and it's a way to communicate longer-form ideas and keep them off social media, when I want to test out an idea and share it with friends, but I don't have any vested interest in an audience as such.

To launch a serious blog, you need a lot of content. First-time readers should be able to scroll through archives. So I would suggest you start publishing some posts now, so you can build content and your writing skills before you get more serious about it.

baconwaffles

Wonderful thread here. I agree with most as well. Blogging about tarot is a great way to explore the nuances of the cards and compare different perspectives. A great way to keep a tarot journal!
I also have a blog and I read Marseille and playing cards, I have been blogging for a year and a half or so and I have grown so much in comparison to where I started.
Also Sentinel's(Herodotus) blog is wondeful and informative.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk