Pairing Decks in Two-Deck Spreads

Barleywine

More a conceptual pairing, and they might be too opposite for you, but how about the Universal Goddess or Dark Goddess (a goddess on every card) with Sol Invictus (a god for every card).

Maybe a divine conversation would be interesting!

Nice idea! The Mount Olympus of tarot :) Any thunderbolts? I don't have either deck, but I did look at the Sol Invictus before.

Nina*

Fun idea. I do think though that it's much more interesting to use two completely different decks together. Like, for instance, the Wild Unknown and the Dreaming Way. Different perspectives and voices in one reading.

Barleywine

Fun idea. I do think though that it's much more interesting to use two completely different decks together. Like, for instance, the Wild Unknown and the Dreaming Way. Different perspectives and voices in one reading.

Could be, but what I'm doing is comparing two different sides of the same issue (for example, Person A and Person B in a love relationship and what each brings to the table in various areas of interaction). I want two decks that will engage fairly seamlessly, but I don't want to buy two copies of the same deck (which would be the most obvious way to get there). So I'm looking for pairs that "talk" to one another without me having to make too big an interpretive leap to correlate the meanings.

Barleywine

I had some other ideas too...

*I've always thought the Housewives and the Zombie would work together. They both have that irreverent, kitschy feel about them. And both being from US Games, are kind of similar in the packaging/presentation.

*The Wild Unknown and the Gypsy Palace. One rather stark and natural, the other super vibrant and abstract.

*I have a feeling that the Happy Tarot (when it comes out this summer) and the Magical Forest will complement each other nicely.

*The Nicoletta Ciccoli and the Sweet Twilight.

*The Steampunk Tarot (the independent one by Charissa Drengsen) and the Zirkus Magi.

*The Ghosts and Spirits and the Shadowscapes.

Thanks! Of this list, the Sweet Twilight is the one that grabs me most. I almost bought it for my daughter - the (lavishly) "tatooed lady" - before but got her Pagan Cats instead. The Ceccoli is a little too "girly" for me (although I can almost see hints of Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice in some of the cards.) I've been hot-and-cold about Steampunk (any version) and I had the Ghosts and Spirits once but sent it back unopened. I find the Housewives Tarot disturbing; I lived through the 1950s :D

Little_Bear

Thanks! Of this list, the Sweet Twilight is the one that grabs me most. I almost bought it for my daughter - the (lavishly) "tatooed lady" - before but got her Pagan Cats instead. The Ceccoli is a little too "girly" for me (although I can almost see hints of Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice in some of the cards.) I've been hot-and-cold about Steampunk (any version) and I had the Ghosts and Spirits once but sent it back unopened. I find the Housewives Tarot disturbing; I lived through the 1950s :D

The Sweet Twilight is on my wish list, I just hope I don't hate it when I finally see it in real life. It seems to be a habit of mine.
The Ceccoli one looks girly but is also very dark and twisty.

The Housewives one is very funny. Ooh, I wonder how the Happy Tarot and the Halloween Tarot would read side by side? The Halloween Tarot is such a joyous deck and the Happy Tarot says it all in the name. I can't wait for this deck to be released.

How about the Golden Visconti Sforza and the Kat Black Golden Tarot?

Madrigal

I thought about putting this in Using Tarot Cards, but it's really a more general question.

I've been using a couple of spreads lately involving questions with two definite sides to them. I use two decks - shuffled and dealt separately, not mingled - so both sides have equal access to all 78 cards in the population. My challenge has been to find two decks that won't be too jarring either visually or symbolically when compared across decks. So far, I've used the following:

The Thoth and Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal
Morgan-Greer and Aquarian
Navigators of the Mystic Sea and Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal

Okay, not exactly a response to your question but I've been drooling over the Liber T deck since you mentioned it in your first post. The online pics are so evocative. Enable me, please! It looks gorgeous.

Barleywine

Okay, not exactly a response to your question but I've been drooling over the Liber T deck since you mentioned it in your first post. The online pics are so evocative. Enable me, please! It looks gorgeous.

Removed my response per Rodney's post. Put my comments on this deck in the Pros and Cons #2 thread.

Dark Victory '39

It's kind of strange but i made a splice deck w/ Navigators and New Century. I didn't want the white borders on nav, or the purple ones on N. Cent, and by the time i trimmed both they were essentially the same size. It's almost like a mini deck w/out those borders. This also worked well because i like the new cent majors and the nav. minors.

I like using the Bonefire with a black and white pip deck called, tarot des filles. The bonefire can quickly overwhelm me w/ all the colors, but i've found the two together a nice mix.

I use Kat's Golden w/ the Grail. They're almost exactly the same size, and their art styles blend nicely.