Silhouettes Tarot / Silhouettes Tarot Negative

skyfiery

Hi Alea,

I'm not familiar with details on card stock, per se, but between the Silhouettes vs. the negative version, the former has a thicker, slightly more cardboard-y feel, while the latter has a smoother finish and thinner card stock.

I read on Tumblr that someone's Silhouettes doesn't take heat well and has warped. In my case, it was the negative version that has warped, barely a few days after reaching me, even though all my cards are kept out of the sun...

staticfuzz

Hi Alea,

I'm not familiar with details on card stock, per se, but between the Silhouettes vs. the negative version, the former has a thicker, slightly more cardboard-y feel, while the latter has a smoother finish and thinner card stock.

I read on Tumblr that someone's Silhouettes doesn't take heat well and has warped. In my case, it was the negative version that has warped, barely a few days after reaching me, even though all my cards are kept out of the sun...

Yikes. I've never had tarot cards warp before and I've kept mine in some pretty hot places... For that price I'd expect the cardstock to hold up for more than just a couple days. Bummer man. I was thinking about getting it but now maybe not. Can you describe what the warping is like? Are they all bent in the same sort of direction or is it more like when mylar meets a blowdryer?

skyfiery

staticfuzz, I'm a bit bad with word descriptions so I've taken two pictures. I can't seem to find the icon for attaching images, so I've uploaded them onto a blog instead. I hope that helps. Here it is.

The first image has the negative version on the left, and the normal version on the right. Both are the second edition Silhouettes print.

The second image has the negative version on the left, and my four-year-old Haindl Tarot on the right.

(Sorry for the poor quality images. My phone is being kinda funky)

Edited to add: My decks are all kept in pouches that don't allow light through, on the same shelf, and receive the same temperature/light conditions. So far, I've only had this particular deck warp.

rwcarter

staticfuzz, I'm a bit bad with word descriptions so I've taken two pictures. I can't seem to find the icon for attaching images, so I've uploaded them onto a blog instead. I hope that helps.
Only Subscribers can attach things to their posts. You can find out more about becoming a Subscriber by going to Upgrade & support us too!

Symphony

My Negative Silhouettes was warped like that straight out of the wrapping. I live in Scotland so can't blame the heat. I agree that the normal version feels better quality card stock than the negative. The negative is a lot thinner but I guess that's personal taste really

staticfuzz

staticfuzz, I'm a bit bad with word descriptions so I've taken two pictures. I can't seem to find the icon for attaching images, so I've uploaded them onto a blog instead. I hope that helps. Here it is.

The first image has the negative version on the left, and the normal version on the right. Both are the second edition Silhouettes print.

The second image has the negative version on the left, and my four-year-old Haindl Tarot on the right.

(Sorry for the poor quality images. My phone is being kinda funky)

Edited to add: My decks are all kept in pouches that don't allow light through, on the same shelf, and receive the same temperature/light conditions. So far, I've only had this particular deck warp.

Thanks so much for providing those pictures. That is too bad. :\ Personally I like decks with a thinner cardstock since I riffle shuffle & bridge and that's dangerous with thicker cardstock. My Robin Wood is 13+ years old and has held up so well. I try to be gentle and I don't shuffle a ton, but it's been kept in damp conditions, dry conditions, in a house I lived where it was routinely 100 degrees for months...and no warping. I wonder if they'll straighten themselves back out over time? Thanks again for showing me the pictures. :)

skyfiery

Thanks so much for providing those pictures. That is too bad. :\ Personally I like decks with a thinner cardstock since I riffle shuffle & bridge and that's dangerous with thicker cardstock. My Robin Wood is 13+ years old and has held up so well. I try to be gentle and I don't shuffle a ton, but it's been kept in damp conditions, dry conditions, in a house I lived where it was routinely 100 degrees for months...and no warping. I wonder if they'll straighten themselves back out over time? Thanks again for showing me the pictures. :)

You're most welcome. Hope I've helped :)

Linfang

Has anyone both editions, the first one with borders and the second borderless one? How do they compare in terms of cardstock and colour?

The Happy Squirrel

Reminds me of tie dye, wax resist, batik

:)

Linfang

Mhm, I have the first edition, and I like the pictures better than the second. But still I'm thinking about ordering the second, since I like it borderless. But I'm not sure that the colors and cardstock will be equally good.