Recs for a gentle deck to use during troubled times?

swedishfish612

I'm going way out of character for me and looking for a deck that is more gentle, uplifting, perhaps even healing? I've been dealing with some tough stuff and I just feel the need for something totally different from the decks that I usually rely on. This is a deck that I would be using just for myself, not to read for others, if that matters!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Padma

Aquarian Tarot leaps to mind. Very gentle water colour images that are heavy on the RWS system. I truly began learning tarot with this deck, and found it very non-threatening...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/aquarian/

I have heard from others here that they find the Shadowscapes soothing :)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/shadowscapes/

And, if you like fairies, I strongly recommend the Hidden Realms for gentle guidance. Lovely deck, easy to read! And peaceful to the eyes and the soul :love:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/hidden-realm/

The Connolly is very non-frightening or non-harsh, as well. Gentle images in a stained glass folk art style. This is a favoured deck by the clients I have read for. Added bonus, the colours on the cards quickly help you see what the overall mood of the reading is...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/connolly/

swedishfish612

I actually have the Aquarian and Hidden Realms; maybe I'll take a second look! I love Hidden Realms, and it's probably one of my top 5 decks.

Shadowscapes is actually one of the first that came to mind when I got the urge for a new deck. I've been looking at the images on the artist's website and it's gorgeous. I just worry that I'm going to join the mass of folks who say they can't see all the detail and are annoyed by that! lol

jolie_amethyst

I started using Shadowscapes while my husband was undergoing some rather vicious chemo for aggressive stage 4 cancer that was expected to be lethal within the year. That deck taught me not to fear the Tower, Death, 8-10/Swords...basically all the "negative" cards. (The 3/Swords is actually the worst from a graphic standpoint, so make sure you can handle that image.) Even more importantly, it has taught me to accept positive readings too. It's taught me hope, though I still have to relearn that one regularly--my fault, not the deck's!

Though things have quieted down significantly since this time last year, it's still my daily deck, and the one I take the majority of my readings to. I use both paper and the digital app version on my iPad. Having the app negates much of the "too small" issue with the artwork.

(And hubby's fine now, though we'll obviously be on guard for some time yet. Shadowscapes actually told me he'd be fine six months before it showed on any scans...that reading was startling in its clear message of hope and a positive ending to that turn of the Wheel. I wouldn't have read the same cards the same way with another deck, but with Shadowscapes, it was impossible NOT to read it as a positive, even with my naturally pessimistic nature. The more I learn to use other decks, the more I still marvel at it.)

I do also find Tyldwick to be soothing for me in a very different way, due to the absence of people. But a lot of people find it both depressing and hard to read.

And oracles are another way to go. The Druid Animal & Plant oracles have been constant friends through this period. And recently, I added the Messenger Oracle to my collection. It's very uplifting.

Bonny

Great question: inner child cards and any goddess oracle or cards are worth looking at...some of my friends used to say, "Let's see what 'the girls' have to say..." when we opened them...

Blessings,

B:)

swedishfish612

jolie amethyst- Wow, what an amazing journey you've had with Shadowscapes! It's really making me lean towards trying it out. (And I just got a smart phone- my first! lol- a few weeks ago, so I could get the app as well.) I'm really wanting a deck that I can have that sort of uplifting experience with that you seem to be describing. (And I'm so glad to hear your husband is doing better! That's wonderful and I wish him continued good health!)

Bonny- In doing some searches on here for gentle decks, it seems several people recommend oracle decks instead. Maybe there's something to that! I started working with Froud's Faeries last year and was really getting into, but then I dove into Marseilles decks and didn't have room for anything else. I might pull those out and see how I feel about them.

kalliope

I think the Shadowscapes is a good suggestion (and I'll second the app!), as are oracle decks in general.

This thread has made me realize that the Oracle of Shadows & Light is quite good this way (if you like reading the entries in books for oracle cards). I may need to dig it out of my for-sale pile. :p Uplifting and constructive messages that still make you think about things.

Nemia

I second Inner Child cards, and I also find Badgers Forest very gentle and soothing.

Aeric

The Gaian Tarot has helped to pull me out of depression and connect to enjoyment of the simpler, low cost-to-free aspects of life: outdoor activities, exercise, healthier eating, and environmental awareness.

More readily available decks that remove people completely from their focus and rely on natural beauty instead are the Wild Unknown, the aforementioned Druid Oracle decks, Sacred World Oracle.

The Medicine Woman Tarot is very healing and uplifting as well. The Strength card itself is called Healing Power, the Hermit is a friendly, glowing guide with open arms. Tower is a painted Thunderbird on a shield becoming real and flying free when the shield is struck by lightning. 9S is about finding focus when shooting blindly in the dark, and 10S is about group focus creating a barrier of positivity that protects you from external negative thoughts.

Oracle decks seem to be recommended more often because their non-adherence to rigid Tarot structure allows a greater multiplicity of themes and they have a much easier time removing humans from their context, such as the Majors.

An uplifting Marseille deck I enjoy is the whimsical Cat Marseille!