'Fashionista Tarot'?

MaryHeather

Wire hanger jokes a la "Mommie Dearest" come to mind...

Chrystella

I don't understand :confused:

Luna-Ocean

I like it something abit different i like the use of the playing card associations, and probably not meant to be taken so serious?

I had a chance to chat with the creator over at TGC, i asked the creator the questions asked here and this was the reply.

Creator of the POP fashion Tarot - Reed

Let me begin by saying that this was done only for amusement and i really didn't expect all the confusion, i shall begin with explaining why i used certain elements with the playing card associations and then further explain why i created the POP Fashion Tarot.

As an artist and creator we want to do something original at times and i wanted to create a Tarot deck i have been a avid Tarot reader for many years myself, my main focus was to create something as a means of learning from old basic card elements, i used playing card titles to understand its form better for lets say someone that was familiar with playing card titles, yes i will agree that using a entirely different structure from the Rider waite with its own elements might of been confusing to some but it was to do with the fact with using fashion items?

Actually my deck had nothing to do with Pop Art or Andy Warhol but i do admire him for the pop art movement, it was simply about mismatched colours of material fabrics and i tried to do that with the images on TGC and on the main Tarot box and cards?

Also cosmetics are a big part of the fashion industry i'm not sure why you don't think that is? Fashion professionals may be involved with designing clothing, shoes, jewelry, or other wearable accessories but Beauty professionals are involved in promoting different types of beauty, hair and skin products for consumers as well. The use of cosmetics was simply added as fashion accessories which everyone of us will use each day, although the main focus was about fashion i also wanted to illustrate the awareness of these products being used and not just ABOUT looking beautiful.

tarotbear

There is no way to take this seriously - not sure why they have the 'playing card' association - which does nothing to enhance the deck. I apologize if the designer is a member of AT - but I have a feeling this is someone's 'I Can Design A Tarot Deck Even Though I Don't Have the Faintest Clue What to Do With One' project.

If nothing else the 'Pop-Mod' backgrounds are overpowering to the images.

tarotbear

This Pop Art Fashion Tarot might be some misconstrued homage to Andy Warhol - but Warhol was an artist - and a genius ... this looks like something that fell off the set of 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.'

Laura Borealis

I'd have to see a few more cards to really judge, but from what they do show this looks like a fashion-don't!

Chrystella

I would like to see more of the majors. Still, there's a growing list of why I'm not liking this deck so far.

To me, this is not a tarot deck. There's nothing really tarot about it other than the artist calling it thus. Could you use it like a tarot? Probably. You can divine with anything from playing cards to animal entrails so I imagine that this deck can be workable too.

I like the idea of a fashionista tarot, but it wouldn't look like this. It would take a high couture approach and be an homage to the pieces and people that changed fashion, such as the flapper, the mini-skirt, the bikini, Coco Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, etc. This tarot is about cosmetics, not fashion.

I'm a big fan of Andy Warhol and I also like the idea of a pop culture or pop art tarot, but, again, it wouldn't look like this.

To me, this tarot lacks humour. In contrast, the Housewives Tarot, for example, blends something pop and cultural with humour. Compared to that, I think the Pop Fashion Tarot misses the mark.

I'm curious as to why the artist created a tarot (not curious enough to contact and enquire). This could have been a series and I think I would have liked it a lot more as just art. I don't understand the need to use the tarot as the vehicle for art other than "why not" and "because I can".

Nevertheless, I'm sure it will have its fans and I do wish the artist success. I just prefer a different flavour.

Alta

Moderator note:

Hi all,

I have removed some posts, members involved PMd.

May I point out that this is a public discussion forum. Decks may be criticized and lauded. Difficulties and joys may be pointed out. The idea is to not allow the discussion to turn on each other if we don't happen agree with another viewpoint. By all means give your impressions but that doesn't have to mean that others cannot have theirs.

Thanks,
Alta
co-Moderator, Tarot Decks

tarotbear

I like the idea of a fashionista tarot, but it wouldn't look like this. It would take a high couture approach and be an homage to the pieces and people that changed fashion, such as the flapper, the mini-skirt, the bikini, Coco Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, etc. This tarot is about cosmetics, not fashion.

Yes - I agree! There could be a male and a female-designer version for each of the suits - perhaps Coco Chanel, Edith Head, Elsa Schiaparelli, Diane von Furstenberg? Then Christian Dior, Cecil Beaton, Gianni Versace, Balenciaga? - that would be a great deck - part fashion plate, part fashion history. :thumbsup: