Golden Tarot

VintageButtons

I bought Kat Black's Golden Tarot back in 2005 or somewhere close to that and I loved the deck and soon wore off the gilded edges and bowed the cards because they were a little hard to shuffle due to their thickness. I just received a new copy and I'm in love again but this time the cards are slightly bigger, feel a little thinner and they're almost plastic like, so much easier to shuffle. I love them, don't get me wrong, but just wondering if anyone else has two copies and also noticed this change? Or am I crazy?

Irischacha

You're not crazy! There's a huge difference. I have the old ones and a newer deck and the card stock is, as you say, thinner and, at least for me glossier. I used the old ones near to death though, so the matte card stock could just be exhaustion.

VintageButtons

Haha..Thanks, Irischacha. I wondered if my original deck was matte from overuse too but I think you're right, there's a big difference. An improvement, I think.

Miss Divine

They are very different since my first copy. My first copy was and always has been matte. That's just the way they were made then. The new ones are indeed thinner and very glossy.

Le Fanu

I'm curious to see a copy of the newer, glossier version. I just can't imagine it. I have two of the older matt finish editions.

I wonder if there is any difference in terms of resolution? The Printed in Italy decks usually have a poorer, more pixelated resolution.

VintageButtons

Le Fanu, I thought the resolution seemed slightly better in the newer version.

Miss Divine

The resolution is just as good. But I prefer the matte personally, just because.

Barleywine

I have nothing to compare to, but just wanted to say that my "Made in China" version has a very glossy, slippery finish. The quality of both the card stock and the printing is excellent. I don't use the deck much, so I can say how well they handle, other than that the cards are fairly thick and shuffling is a bit clumsy.

VintageButtons

I believe both decks I have were printed in China (will have to double check when I get home) and significantly differ on thickness and gloss. The older set is, as you said, quite thick making shuffling clumsy.

Nemia

I have the old matte one and love the texture and thickness. Adds IMO the "old world" feeling.