Surprising Disappointments

MysticMoonlight

Shadowscapes. I was so hopeful, was convinced that I was going to just love that deck, wanted to fall in love even, but...nothing. Tried and tried numerous times to find a spark, but it's a no. Just so no.

feynrir

[...] short-lived likes (Wild Unknown[...]).

Who knows though, I can be fickle so in a week I might call WU the greatest thing since Birthday Cake Frappuccino.

I personally bought the Wild Unknown thinking it was gorgeous, only to find that even just looking at it made me feel pretentious; hipsterish. I actually read very well with it and it certainly is a breath of fresh air, but hipster it certainly is. (I find this a positive and a negative, certainly negative enough that I haven't gotten over that quite yet...)

Another disappointment has been the Wildwood. There's something I love about it (I rebought it), but altogether it does fall a bit flat for me. I'm really trying to give it that second chance.

MoonGypsy

Another disappointment has been the Wildwood. There's something I love about it (I rebought it), but altogether it does fall a bit flat for me. I'm really trying to give it that second chance.

i had a similar experience quite a while back regarding the Wildwood [GreenWood wanna be] :p
i suggest trimming it and giving it an edge treatment...
It gives it more character and will help you bond with it more...;)

i probably would have liked the Wildwood more, if i hadn't already been exposed to
the GreenWood and Chesca Potter's Art.
Although i do usually really like Wil Worthington's art a lot [Especially the DruidCraft]
his art doesn't give me as much of a "fuzzy feeling" in the WildWood...

Snowhunter

I personally bought the Wild Unknown thinking it was gorgeous, only to find that even just looking at it made me feel pretentious; hipsterish. I actually read very well with it and it certainly is a breath of fresh air, but hipster it certainly is. (I find this a positive and a negative, certainly negative enough that I haven't gotten over that quite yet...)

I always feel the need to pose crystals and incense around the cards, and take tumblr pictures with those moody filters. It doesn't feel like me. I'm not cool enough for a fedora, and ironically worn ugly sweater.

shadowdancer

Housewives.
I wanted to like it. I understood it was quirky. But the minors were so bland compared to the majors, it went straight into the trade pile. It is gathering dust somewhere in the house.... :(

It reminded me to stick to my mantra - if mainly majors are shown online it is usually a cover for the fact the majority of the deck may not be as alluring.

Tarot of the Trees.
The deck itself is fantastic in idea, and I applaud the artist for creating something so unique.
My disappointment lay in the fact the colours were so washed out compared to online. Too much for me to enjoy the deck so that was traded. If the colours are true in later printings I may be tempted again.

Otherwise I have no real excuse for being disappointed. If I go against my judgement or little nagging voice I only have myself to blame eh :)

skyfiery

I just got the second run of the Prisma Visions Tarot and I am very disappointed in the color. What looked like vibrant colors in the scans I've seen online appear dull in the deck I received. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else finds the colors much less brighter than anticipated.

I have the first run from the Kickstarter, and I do find the colors more muted than the online images as well. (Even for the Light Visions, what looked like a stark white and black contrast on the online images, turned out to be a sort of dirty, luminous yellow sort of glow-paint color against a sort of matted and muted black).

I experimented taking quick and casual shots with my phone and immediately comparing the images with the cards in hand. I think the colors translate very well into digital pictures. But yeah...

RavenLuna

Chrysalis tarot was a huge disappointment for me. I loved the bright colours and how eclectic it is. I really thought it was The One. I bought the app while checking prices for the deck and was so disappointed. I still like about half the Majors and the Courts, but there are too many deal breakers in it for me.

Little_Bear

I don't know what I was expecting, maybe that it would be the one that ends my desire to own more decks (lol, right?!).

Haha, yeah exactly!

The problem I'm having at the moment is that I'm kind of in that super excited deck buying phase, as I have picked the tarot up again after a really really long break (like, 13 years long!). But I struggle to connect with decks and I'm really wary about parting with cash for decks I'm worried I won't like. It's totally killing my buzz (but better for my wallet, I guess).

I spent forever searching and researching decks online (something that wasn't really possible back when I first used to read) to try and avoid my problem.
This is why I went to a store to have a look at as many of them in person, just to be sure.
And these were decks I really thought I would just love to bits...Nope. Nada. Ick!
Of course, this isn't possible with indie decks unless a friend has a copy you can have a look at. I would like the Prisma Visions but after the comments about it, I'm not so sure.

feynrir, that's very true about the Wild Unknown, I mean, they sell it in Urban Outfitters! WTF?
But guess what? There's a new hipster deck in town, it's called The Starchild Tarot, it out hipsters the Wild Unknown by a mile!

Barleywine

I try to keep things in perspective when considering a new deck. I say to myself "No matter what it is, it ain't gonna be the Thoth." Mild dissatisfaction already pre-loaded into the decision, so to speak. So if it's even slightly better than expected, I'm OK with it. I dodged that situation for a while by going after Lenormand decks, but now my "paired deck" initiative has me back at it. At least I'm less likely to have two new decks to hate by only using them in tandem for specific purposes. Call me a ruthless utilitarian :)