astrology and tarot merger

catti

I have been asked to do two year spreads for a virgo and a libra. i would like to be able to join the months to the houses and have an introductory knowlege to astrology
but
after lurking here for a week i feel like i know just enough about astrology to know that i know nothing!
i usually just dive into things....i dont know...already i feel over my head
any tips or suggestions appreciated

Moongold

Catti, there are a number of Horoscope spreads in books and on the internet. There are two really good ones in Konraad's Classic Spreads.

If you don't have the books, you should easily be able to find one on the internet. I have to go to work now but will see whether you have found one this evening.

isthmus nekoi

Not sure if this is what you're asking for, but virgo covers the 6th house, and libra the 7th. If you are interested in resources, pls check out the resource sticky in this forum which includes books and websites.

catti

Thanks for the heads up about the sticky! I should have read that first...I suppose what i really should do is make the spread cloth ( because i want too ) , do the reading and post in the your reading section to get feed back. I am out of my league here , until i put in a couple of hundred hours reading all those links ;)

Minderwiz

A lot depends on what the object of your reading is - horoscope or astrological spreads are good for things like the year ahead - each card in the circle representing a month (possibly starting with this year's birthday) - they are also particularly good for a reading based on the areas of life covered by the houses - so the card for the 'seventh' gives an indication of partnerships and marriage. This does require you to have a working knowledge of the houses and the way that they are most frequently used - for example in practice the eighth house is read as the resources (money) of the marriage rather than as the house of death or the house dealing with sexuality. This is because its the second house from the seventh. The second house deals with material resources, and by extension the second house from any other house can be looked on as dealing with resources.

Whilst it is not essential at all for a 'house' reading, you might find that knowing the Ascendant of your querent gives a better result than basing it on the Sun sign. However if this isn't available then I would actually do a horoscope reading treating the Sun sign as the first house - so both Virgo and Libra would be read in the same way, though you might use a little knowledge of the signs to think about the different ways in which they would react in each area. So for example your Libra subject has Scorpio on the second House of material resources and would deal with these in a far more intense and secretive way than your Virgo subject who has Libra on the second.

If neither of these approaches is what you are looking for then you might consider a 'standard' spread instead.

catti

Minderwiz said:
A lot depends on what the object of your reading is - horoscope or astrological spreads are good for things like the year ahead - each card in the circle representing a month (possibly starting with this year's birthday) - they are also particularly good for a reading based on the areas of life covered
by the houses

that was my intention. to offer a year tarot reading with an astrological slant.

I would actually do a horoscope reading treating the Sun sign as the first house - so both Virgo and Libra would be read in the same way, though you might use a little knowledge of the signs to think about the different ways in which they would react in each area. So for example your Libra subject has Scorpio on the second House of material resources and would deal with these in a far more intense and secretive way than your Virgo subject who has Libra on the second.

and this is what i am going to attempt doing
thank you for the help and suggestions

Minderwiz

I'd love to know how you get on with this - it is a really interesting exercise. So if you wouldn't mind, tell us what happened. And if you end up with any more questions just ask!

catti

of course !
do you want me to post here? or in the Your Readings forum...in a way i'd prefer here since what i need feedback on is my astrological interpretations..but whatever you feel is appropriate.

Thank you again.
this is wonderful encouragement to do something i have wanted to do for a while , i really appreciate the support

lunalafey

Minderwiz said:
astrological spreads are good for things like the year ahead - each card in the circle representing a month (possibly starting with this year's birthday) -

I use the astro-spread two ways when reading for a year..
but I can't mix the two ways together.....
one is like mentioned above....I lay out the cards starting with Aries.....but I start the year in the sign that will come next in real time....the other way is by houses....every house/card covers the whole of the year. I have tried to combine them......at a loss, so it will be interesting to see what you come up with...

Minderwiz

I'm like you, lunalafey, I know in principle that the two approaches can be combined in one reading but I've never really managed to do it. In fact I chicken out and do Astrological readings instead (telling myself I'm 'good' at that)

There is a lot to be gained though from looking at the imagery of the Tarot in an Astrological setting and I think its something worth perservering with.