Tarot in Eastern Europe

Scion

Does anyone have any dates/facts about the arrival of Tarot in eastern Europe (Hungary, Bulgaria, Bohemia, etc.) and its presence/role in the royal courts at that time?

I'm doing research on a project and can't find any meaty references beyond Wicked Pack of Cards & Mystical Origins of the Tarot... And I can't really find substantive info on Tarot's impact (either as a game or a divinatory tradition) in the eastern bloc countries.

Any leads y'all could provide would be deeply appreciated...

Huck

I would recommend a walk through the Tarot Museum, specifically

http://trionfi.com/0/j/

Sure is, that Bianca Maria Sforza after marrying Emperor Maximilian in 1494, had Italian playing cards with her, which she showed him in the wedding night, and he was delighted.
Later he was not delighted by this woman and she played cards excessively in her lonesomeness. All this is reported, but not reported seems to be, if it were Tarot cards. But there seems to be not much doubt about this condition.

You can find reports in the web reseaching "Bianca Maria Sforza" and "Kartenspiel" - German language.

Another Sforza princess married to Poland and became queen there. Surely she also transported playing cards - at least she is famous for having transported Renaissance culture.

Ross G Caldwell

Scion said:
Does anyone have any dates/facts about the arrival of Tarot in eastern Europe (Hungary, Bulgaria, Bohemia, etc.) and its presence/role in the royal courts at that time?

I'm doing research on a project and can't find any meaty references beyond Wicked Pack of Cards & Mystical Origins of the Tarot... And I can't really find substantive info on Tarot's impact (either as a game or a divinatory tradition) in the eastern bloc countries.

Any leads y'all could provide would be deeply appreciated...

The most substantive historical research will doubtless be Dummett and McLeod, "A History of Games Played with the Tarot Pack" (Mellen Press, 2004) esp. vol. 2 -chapters "15. Tapp-Tarock 16. The Variants of Tapp-Tarock 17. Cego 18. Königrufen 19. XIXer-Rufen, XXer-Rufen and Czech Taroky 20. Hungarian Tarokk" etc.
http://www.mellenpress.com/mellenpress.cfm?bookid=5804&pc=9

If it's a tarot related game, this book will have it, and everything about it.

Note that this book will set you back about $200, and most libraries won't have it yet.

Dummett's earlier work "The Game of Tarot" also has chapters on all these games, but at least the newer book will have bibliography up to 2003 or so.

You might contact Detlef Hoffmann on the eastern European tarok games.

You can also look through the index of titles of articles published since 1973 in "The Playing Card" (and "Playing Card World"), where there are sure to be items directly pertaining to your search, and whose authors you may be able to write for more information.
http://i-p-c-s.org/tpcindex.html

Lastly, you can join the yahoo.group "tarotgame" where you could pose questions directly to John McLeod and other members who are very knowledgeable about all forms of the game.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/tarotgame/

Good luck!

baba-prague

Just to be clear, are you talking about tarot as a game, or tarot as a divination tool?

There may not be much I can add in either case, although I do know a bit about tarot here (Bohemia).

Scion

baba-prague said:
Just to be clear, are you talking about tarot as a game, or tarot as a divination tool?

There may not be much I can add in either case, although I do know a bit about tarot here (Bohemia).

Actually I'm looking for both. (What I'm assuming is early penetration of the game into the dynastic Houses and then the later introduction of the divinatory discipline.

You're right in the heart of the territory I'm interested in, so ANY details, anecdotes, or references you can pass along would be super useful.

Thanks

Scion

Huck

baba-prague said:

Baba, it would be nice to hear about Tarot in Bohemia.

baba-prague

Well, I know very little about the game (I'm not Czech and so wasn't ever taught to play it), but here are a few thoughts off the top of my head - sorry it's all a bit quick and sketchy for now.

There are quite a lot of local references to tarot as a divination tool from around the late 19th century onwards (e.g. notoriously in Meyrink's 1915 "Gollum"). In fact we've been dithering about buying a hand-drawn set of cards (very expensive as the artist is well-known) which seem clearly to have been for divination purposes and which are probably (though hard to be sure until we can do some research) from around 1900. BUT, interesting as all this is, of course it's centuries later than the period you're talking about. I don't want to derail the thread, but if you want to talk separately about this later history of tarot on another thread, then that might be very interesting. Much of the later "occult" tarot history here was for years sadly neglected - for obvious reasons.

What may be more relevant to the immediate question is a pack of cards (but pretty clearly for gaming purposes IMO) that are reproduced in the "Powder Tower" museum here, and which are claimed (on whose authority I don't know) to be from around the time of Rudolph II - i.e. early. However, it's a bit of a tourist museum and I wouldn't take this at face-value necessarily. Next time I'm up there I'll take another look at them and even photograph if possible - but can't promise to do this soon I'm afraid.

You will find a reference in "Magic Prague" (a classic by Ripellino http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0520073525/ref=nosim/aeclectic/) to tarot cards being used for divination at Rudolph's court. However, this assertion seems to be based on nothing - sheer romanticism I'd say.

The whole situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that there is a distinctly Czech/Moravian game that by my understanding is "tarot-like" rather than tarot - it has suits but no trumps. It's described at Andy's Playing cards:
www.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards13.htm
(I can't get this link to work as it says it's "exceeded its quota" - hopefully it will work soon.)
Incidentally, the descriptions here of the use of tarot and tarot-like cards in this region is excellent - but I'm sure you already know it.
The pack used is 32 cards (usually) and the cards are very evocative and fairly unique. We used elements from them in our Tarot of Prague by the way (we wanted, in part, to evoke gaming cards and their history). When people talk about Czech tarot, they seem sometimes to be referring to the game known across Europe (often played here with Austro-Hungarian pattern cards) and sometimes to this 32-card game. This can be confusing.

One final thought. "The" academic book on Russian magic is "The Bathhouse at Midnight" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0271019670/ref=nosim/aeclectic/
It is an excellent, exhaustive survey (very much someone's published doctoral thesis, so a fairly dry read, but beautifully researched). It has very little reference to the use of divinatory cards until, again, the later centuries. I will go look tonight and give you some details. I think if there had been ANY verifiable evidence of the use of cards for divination (by Royals, Roma or whatever) early on in Russia, the author of this book would have discovered them. Of course, he does not concern himself with playing cards.

My feeling is that there is little evidence for tarot as a divination tool here (or further east) until around the time it began to emerge as such all over Europe. As far as the game is concerned, then yes, it probably was here - remember that there was a lot of contact between Prague and other capitals, including Madrid and Rome.

One final thought. I have been trying for a while to get to meet the leading authority on Roma belief and magic here (she is a very busy university academic). If/when I succeed, I will of course ask her about how far back she thinks the Roma use of cards goes. Again though, apologies if this is not specific to your question (but it is ever so interesing!)

Scion

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

Baba! That post was full of so many meaty leads! Exactly the kind of info for which I was hoping. I cannot thank you enough... Any additional info you can dig up would be greatly appreciated.

I had a suspicion that divinatory Tarot would have shown up (& grown popular) relatively late since (I'm assuming) it would have been spreading east from France. But your thoughts on the roots of the game in Prague are extremely helpful.

I've only started poking around in the research for this question... I'm left to wonder about their connection to Mamluk cards that are their most likely ancestors. What do you think the path of approach was? China to Islamic North Africa to Moorish Spain to Italy to Prague, mutating as they travelled?

On a related side note: do you have a recommendation for a gripping bio of Rudolph II?

Will DEFINITELY pick up Magic Prague and The Bathhouse at Midnight. And I had forgotten to dig around Andy's Playing cards... Many, many thanks for the tips and recommendations!

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Huck

thanks Baba,

I remember an Internet document, that told, that somewhere in Austria some place is known, where St Capistranus preached promoting the crusade and that cards were burnt at the opportunity (Vienna ?, perhaps). The Internet document (German language) knew the precise place near a church, local history communicated the detail. It was around the time, when the same happened in Nuremberg.
I think, Capistranus was also in Breslau (?), so near to Poland.

Another early fact is the Hofaemterspiel, which - for unknown reasons (to me) - is said to have been produced for Ladislaus Posthumus (died 1457).

I don't see a guarantee, that the general "as true" assumed story, that the Mameluck's cards were the first, which appeared in Europe, is really true.

Probably really true it is, that playing cards were well existent in China in 12th century and probably were transported by Mongolians to the west.

It's true, that the Mamelucks had some intensive contact to the Mongols - but actually they were not the only one who had contact to them, and the way via ship from Egyptia to Italy or Spain is not the only way to Europe. Cards might have been transported via the Balkan. The few documents look, as if playing cards were exported from Germany, but where from did they got them?

baba-prague

Scion said:
On a related side note: do you have a recommendation for a gripping bio of Rudolph II?

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. I don't know if it's gripping (I haven't read it yet - though have it on order) but there is a book published by Prague Castle in association with Thames and Hudson. It is basically a catalogue of an exhibition, so may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's a good place to start perhaps:
________

Rudolph II. and Prague

Published by the Administration of Prague Castle in cooperation with the Thames and Hudson publishers London and Skira Milan, Prague 1997. (388 pages in one volume, large format)

A two-part catalogue of the exhibition held in 1997 in Prague Castle and other places in Prague.
First volume: historical and scientific essays by Czech and foreign authors on artistic creation in the time of Rudolph II., the second volume: photographs, descriptions and basic facts about all the 1885 exhibits shown

________

Frances Yates, in "The Rosicrucian Enlightenment" also has quite a lot of material on Rudolph.

Good luck with your research!