Thinking out loud about tarot history

Huck

I had a private shock about book reality at 24th of december.

My mother brought 2 books with songs (including also Christmas songs) produced around 1935 for Christmas singing. The book was made in a cheap way, smaller as the usual height for small books nowadays, having some content, but - actually - not thick. The original price was given: 4 RM (Reichsmark). This shocked me. 4 RM meant: 1/10th of the monthly income of a humble landworker, as my mother could tell me. 70 years ago.

A second information shocked me again. The book told, that it was printed 700.000 times. So expensive and so often printed - what a relation. First shock: How much books a humble land-worker have have had at home, when texts have been expensive in this way - 70 years ago. What a difference between me and them, my informative world and theirs.

And actually the high number of reprints told: How important was singing ..... that, as it seems, so much persons spent so much money for a simple textbook for songs. O yes, this was before the farspread use of radio, tape-recorder, music in Tv and on CD, and free music out of internet. Personal singing was more or less killed, not long ago, last century. Not totally ... but ...

Returning to the theme Tarot in 15th century. Some seems to see thousands of decks already produced around 1470 ... a mass-market already developed, a change from 14 to 22 as a really difficult step ...

There are some documents, which are described by Dummett from Bologna in 1477/1479 in his Italian contributions ..

http://www.tarocchinobolognese.it/storia_2.php

.. I don't know the details, havinbg not access to the complete text of "Il Mondo et l'Angelo", but I know, that the production numbers in this time still are low, not very remarkable, not a real definte sign of a functioning mass market. As far I remember my informations, the productions reach the 100,s but not the 1000,s. Italy consists of 8.000.000 or some more inhabitants, how much did know already these Trionfi decks? That's the urgent question, and all, what I can think about it, is, that in 1479 they are still not too much, still it is a rare item.

Differences between Ferrarese orders, Milanese orders, Tarocchi Bolognese, relative similaraties between Piemont and Bologna region can have late reasons, they must not naturally reach back as a logical derivement of the earliest times.

There is a statement of middle 16th century, that Tarot is still something for the higher classes. Perhaps not true for all regions of Italy, but an alarming comment, if one build theories to the origin of Tarot.

Singing was important in the Germany of my parents. I look at all these famous German componists, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner etc., yes, there was something special about music just in my country, but opera was invented in Italy, not here. Italians of 15th century learned music from northern influences, especially after the council of Constance (1415). They went own ways since then, with a focus on singing. We see Leonello (a first great influence on Tarot) develop in the 40ies and hear, that he raised the numbers of singers at his local court music group. We see, that these Carnival Trionfi in Florence in the 70ies are famous for her songs, and that even Loenzo de Medici contributed to them. We know, that Lorenzo himself was a good singer and that Marsilio Ficino played an instrument.

Songs are easier transported in society than Trionfi cards, which had been expensive. Till now this factor is more or less overlooked. Songs are part of "oral tradition".

Some material to Music in Ferrara:

http://trionfi.com/0/d/55/

This is only a start ... by far not enough. Actually one has to dig in these informations about music in 15th century, with the eye focused on Trionfi-questions. There is an answer somehow to evaluate the Trionfi card evelopment, as the "festivity of Trionfo" has natural relation to the playing card decks.

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
I had a private shock about book reality at 24th of december.

Nicely put Huck. I had a similar shock as I work with the old books of this Bishop of Béziers, and realize how few pictures there were around, and in books it was all line art, never color. Colored pictures, paintings, you saw in churches and private homes of the rich. In the poor homes, maybe one good picture, maybe made of threads, which showed color. So they decorated everything they could, made it colorful if they could.

Now we have so much color, and moving color around us, that most people prefer to have bare walls, with simple lines of art around - to get some peace from the noisy, colorful world, all the advertising, recorded music, and television.

I agree that there weren't thousands of trionfi decks around, as I said on TarotL. Hundreds, maybe. Not a large market. But around 1500, Lyons in France, and other places, made enough for all of Europe. And cards were popular, not only because they were fun, but because they were *so colorful*. A deck of cards had more color than a library of books - so everybody loved them, children as well as adults.

As for the few decks - yes. And they were pretty expensive - a luxury item, not out of reach for a poor worker, but a big expense. And trionfi was a game for the richer people, so it is worthy to search in the courts and among the wealthy for hints to the spread of the game. That's why when I look to Savoy, I look at Bona and her people. She was born in Savoy but raised mostly in France. There is no way that Savoy - including Turin at this time - did not know about trionfi before 1468. The rich loved it, and put it on their walls in frescos, and had extremely expensive decks made, both for themselves and as gifts for their friends.

I don't think we are in disagreement here, or on the possibility of a change in number of cards being made very quickly and very early.

And other experiments, which we don't know about or about which we have only hints and suggestions.

Only, the 22 number of trumps must have been made before the game got to all of these places, and before it took on mass-production. The first part means around 1450 (Ferrara, Bologna (inferring from Marchione), Milan and Florence), the second around 1480 (a wild guess, but maybe 1500). So there is less than a decade for the 5x14 by my calculation, and if Bembo's deck was a 5x14, then it was an old-fashioned deck.

If the earlier decks in Florence and Milan were 5x14, we have to think that there were very few of them, and that they all died out and were replaced by the mass-produced deck, which must have gone everywhere very quickly (which is probably true). No such game survives, but this is also not impossible, if it was a short-lived experiment with limited circulation.

The Imperatori deck also does not survive, apparently (unless it became part of the trionfi pack).

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
There are some documents, which are described by Dummett from Bologna in 1477/1479 in his Italian contributions ..

http://www.tarocchinobolognese.it/storia_2.php

.. I don't know the details, havinbg not access to the complete text of "Il Mondo et l'Angelo", but I know, that the production numbers in this time still are low, not very remarkable, not a real definte sign of a functioning mass market. As far I remember my informations, the productions reach the 100,s but not the 1000,s. Italy consists of 8.000.000 or some more inhabitants, how much did know already these Trionfi decks? That's the urgent question, and all, what I can think about it, is, that in 1479 they are still not too much, still it is a rare item.

This part of the Taroccino Bolognese website has the whole chapter and notes from Dummett's "Il Mondo e l'Angelo". He doesn't give the numbers of the production, but I dimly remember that it was not many of each, maybe not more than a few scores of trionfi packs, and maybe hundreds of regular packs.

I think my thesis of Milan's market being crushed by French imports around 1500 is strong, not only for the reasons I have given, but because Depaulis remarks (in his short history of cards that Alain sent to LTarot at one point) that the Milanese *regular* cards preserve the distinctive look of the Lyon pattern (the "portrait" of Lyon as it would become later). Only Milan suffered this in so short a time. Savoy was under the continuous influence of French cards, however, but even after adopting the TdM, they kept the Angel XX higher than the World XXI, and around Turin (Moncucco) and Annecy, they observed the four equal "Papi". The only thing that Annecy and Turin have in common is that they were once part of the Duchy of Savoy, and the force of those strange features of the Piedmontese-Savoyard game shows that they must have a common origin, whose only living relative is currently in Bologna.

Huck

The 4 papi inside the Bolognese Tarot don't tell anything about the old Tarot, they probably simply tell of a "replace Pope and Popess" - action, as it is observable in various other decks, for instance the Tarot Besancon.

Sophie

Ross,

Just read your piece on Jacquemin Gringonneur on Trionfi. How do you place those famous three packs of cards he made for Charles VI of France in the history of Tarot? You don't mention them here. Could Bembo just be a later artist? You also make the connection between Gringonneur (whoever he was) and Nicolas Flamel, the alchemist, but no further comment - in fact you call Flamel an "illuminator" (which he also seems to have been, as well, I saw elsewhere, as a bookseller, but such multiple functions were not rare, and his alchemy was discreet anyway). When I see tarot, illuminator, and alchemist all at one time, in one place, and connected to a known maker of cards for the court, certain little bells ring.

A little human conection too: 1492, that year when Gringonneur was said to have been paid for the three packs of cards, is also the year Pernelle Flamel died: given the closeness between her and her husband, it is probable that Nicolas would have thrown himself in all sorts of new projects to recover from the pain of her death.

I don't really know what to make of all those facts together, but are they not worth at least investigating, despite Bembo and his jeu averré? it seems to me that the connection between alchemy and Tarot, in the context of XIVth-XVIth century Europe, is a pretty sound one to make.

Also: There are traces of cards with images on them elsewhere in Europe before the XVth century. Are there any connections to be made there, too?

wandking

Ross, you mentioned "Some Mantegna like images (planetary images) also show up in the Tempio Malatestiana c. 1450, Lazzarelli "De Imaginibus Deorum" of 1471, and Ghisi's "Labyrinth", a game in a book form (16th century, don't know exact date)." think you refer to Tempio Malatestiana at Rimini, which is one of the first entirely classical buildings of the Renaissance and a book by Lazzarelli. Those "planetary images" occur in examples of Renaissance art too. What I find curious is no mention that Mantegna images (other than planetary) bear a striking likeness to examples of Trionfi cards of that period, which leads to my question: Do you believe The Fool in the Marseille Deck somehow derived from a Mantegna depiction of the beggar?

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
The 4 papi inside the Bolognese Tarot don't tell anything about the old Tarot, they probably simply tell of a "replace Pope and Popess" - action, as it is observable in various other decks, for instance the Tarot Besancon.

I don't think this is a good solution, for two reasons -

1) The Bolognese "Papi" continued to show a Papessa, or even two Papesse, depending on how you read the images -
http://geocities.com/anytarot/earlybologna.html
They are clearly papal figures, and are in no way an attempt to "replace Pope and Popess".

2) Other places, far removed, observe the same rule. Such a specific thing is unlikely to have been an independent invention, in these places, and Dummett calls it one of "unsolved problems of playing-card research"
http://i-p-c-s.org/problist.html
"Two questions relate to Piedmont. The first is this: Various features of Tarot games played in Piedmont indicate a connection with Bologna:
the treatment of the four ‘Papi’—Empress, Popess, Emperor and Pope—as of equal rank, any one of them played later to a trick beating one played earlier;
the superiority of the Angel to the World.
Can any early connection be found between Bologna and Piedmont, or Tarot players in both places, be discovered to account for this?"
(number 3)

I found a solution, which is that the earliest game among the Milanese nobility was the same as the earliest game in Ferrara and Bologna (and Florence?).

wandking

After posting my last entry I noticed you said "I work with the old books of this Bishop of Béziers" and wondered if you had ever come across any record of religious practices in Béziers in the decade prior to 1209 CE.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Helvetica,

Helvetica said:
Ross,

Just read your piece on Jacquemin Gringonneur on Trionfi. How do you place those famous three packs of cards he made for Charles VI of France in the history of Tarot? You don't mention them here.

Most people think they were regular cards - of course luxurious. But beyond a lost document from 1392, quoted by Menestrier in 1704, we can't say. Thierry Depaulis published the most on it, in an article in 1995 "L'As de Trèfle".

Could Bembo just be a later artist? You also make the connection between Gringonneur (whoever he was) and Nicolas Flamel, the alchemist, but no further comment - in fact you call Flamel an "illuminator" (which he also seems to have been, as well, I saw elsewhere, as a bookseller, but such multiple functions were not rare, and his alchemy was discreet anyway). When I see tarot, illuminator, and alchemist all at one time, in one place, and connected to a known maker of cards for the court, certain little bells ring.

I found a list of names of people living in various quarters in Paris in the early 1400s, and Flamel and his brother are listed in the same section with "Jean Gingonneur". Jean is a variant of Jacques (especially back then), so I thought it might refer to the same person. There was also a book written in 1834, IIRC, that talks about Gringonneur and Flamel, but I haven't seen it and don't know if the author had read - or heard - something else.

The connections between painters and alchemists are close - I'm not sure about France, but I think it is the same, but in Italy painters typically belonged to the Apothecary's Guild, which was under the patronage of St. Luke, who was both a painter and a physician. Both painters and physicians mixed potions and painters also had to make paint out of various substances, using chemical methods, heat etc., so the connection with alchemy is natural.

A little human conection too: 1492, that year when Gringonneur was said to have been paid for the three packs of cards, is also the year Pernelle Flamel died: given the closeness between her and her husband, it is probable that Nicolas would have thrown himself in all sorts of new projects to recover from the pain of her death.

Don't you mean 1392 for Gringonneur? Maybe it was a typo. But when did Pernelle die? Before Nicolas? I can't recall offhand.

I don't really know what to make of all those facts together, but are they not worth at least investigating, despite Bembo and his jeu averré? it seems to me that the connection between alchemy and Tarot, in the context of XIVth-XVIth century Europe, is a pretty sound one to make.

Also: There are traces of cards with images on them elsewhere in Europe before the XVth century. Are there any connections to be made there, too?

There is also the Visconti connection with Charles VIs court, so Gringonneur could have been influenced by Italian cards - or they could be "Saracen" cards, or simply a colorful invention, like Hofamterspiel.

Sophie

Ross G Caldwell said:
Don't you mean 1392 for Gringonneur? Maybe it was a typo. But when did Pernelle die? Before Nicolas? I can't recall offhand.

Sorry, yes, it was a typo! Pernelle is said to have died in 1392, which is also supposed to be the year those 3 packs of cards were made.

Thanks for the answers. I am interested in all those links, and the one you make with Italy. Looking forward to reading more, here and elsewhere.