A Pre-Tarot Papessa in Padova?

kwaw

conversus said:
Here is a black and white image I found while using ArtStore. Perhaps it will help tide us over till after the Nativity Hols.

PADUA.jpeg

Cheers:
CED

I can't see the image (perhaps because geocities links are banned in Turkey, would it detect an inline reference?)

Ross G Caldwell

kwaw said:
I can't see the image (perhaps because geocities links are banned in Turkey, would it detect an inline reference?)

I'll copy it to my site and post it for you kwaw.

Ross

Ross G Caldwell

padua.jpeg

Can you see it now, kwaw?

Ross

kwaw

Perfectly, thanks Ross (looks like an arm and hand lifting up her skirt!? Though I thiiink its just the fold of her dress...).

Rosanne

The partial picture on a postcard I have, it appears that the central figure is holding a candle in a dish as if it is haloed.
~Rosanne

re-pete-a

just cruising past, but did notice that those paintings display two doorways or portals the rest are like windows .

With the little that is known of the cycles of the stars it feels as though the Goat is capricorn , the other is quite odd ,looks like a horn and a trumpet used in the nostrils.(perhaps first breath and last breath.)

The point that is being made is that the two doorways may be linked to the start and the end of the cycle of the signs.

Some hermetic lore says that it's capricorn start with a pisces finish, though in the times mentioned, the names and symbols may well have been different.

Just thought to mention it.

Ross G Caldwell

Rosanne said:
The partial picture on a postcard I have, it appears that the central figure is holding a candle in a dish as if it is haloed.
~Rosanne

Could you scan it for us Rosanne?

Ross

Ross G Caldwell

I just received Daria Mueller, "Guida agli affreschi astrologici del Salone di Padova" (2007), printed through Lulu - http://www.lulu.com/content/1515488

It is nicely done little book which tries to account for all (I think, I haven't counted them) of the frescoes, and offers a theory for these details which seems to base it on Firmicus Maternus' "Mathesis Libri Octo" (sometimes written "matheseos").

An outline of her theory is given at her page -
http://www.dariamueller.com/articoli/saloneastrologico.html

The bad news is that she does not provide pictures of every fresco, and those that are there are small. Among those not provided is ours.

The good news is that she describes ours:
"Vescovo seduto, onorato da due dame". A seated bishop, honored by two ladies.

She considers that this, along with the one above it, represent people born in the second decan of the sign of Aries, ruled by the Sun. This means people who rise to the heights of nobility and power.

So... it still looks like a FEMALE bishop to me, and I think it should be unusual to have two ladies waiting on a bishop. But, the facial features on even conversus' image are not distinct enough to make me bet the farm on it being a woman.

Ross

kwaw

Ross G Caldwell said:
The good news is that she describes ours:
"Vescovo seduto, onorato da due dame". A seated bishop, honored by two ladies.

She considers that this, along with the one above it, represent people born in the second decan of the sign of Aries, ruled by the Sun. This means people who rise to the heights of nobility and power.

So... it still looks like a FEMALE bishop to me, and I think it should be unusual to have two ladies waiting on a bishop. But, the facial features on even conversus' image are not distinct enough to make me bet the farm on it being a woman.

Ross

Thanks Ross... still looks like a woman to me...

so these two panels (this one and the one above it with the man with a hawk and other person - continuing the theme of hunting with the centre panel?) - are the sun decan (? - not convinced).

Are the other eight panels round the central hunter with horns figure representations of decans too? The nude man with a chariot pulled by a goose (?) would that be Mars? (first decan of Aries), the reclining female nude suggests venus (third decan).

Bernice

Wonderful thread!
Very disappointed that I cannot contribute.... but I'm lapping it up!

Bee :)