Pictorial Key to the Tarot--"misprints"

Cerulean

I was going through my copies to winnow down to a chosen few reliable...and found the sacred text versions online is almost the most valuable and likely without error.

Sacred text link:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/index.htm

Edition to edition,when I consult my printed copies, some grin-and-bear it misprints

"heel of Fortune" on page 108 of the 1973 Causeway Books edition

Some sad/sighs

Omission of the World Card description in the PKT reprint of 2009 U.S. Games Centennial Edition

Rather than gritting one's teeth, care to share your misprint find in your print version of the Pictorial Key to the Tarot text, originally by A.E. Waite, circa 1910?

It might assist those are searching or want to pick up a print edition...and find something lacking...

Cerulean

rwcarter

I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but only just got around to it today. I went to USG's website to look for an errata for the PCS Commemorative set and couldn't find one, so I used their "Contact Us" feature to ask the following:

Since the write-up on the World is missing from the Pictorial Key in the PCS Commemorative set, is there an errata that folks can download and print out to put in their book to make it complete?

Thanks,
Rodney

I'll share the answer when/if I get it.

rwcarter

Still no response from USG....

rwcarter

Surprise, surprise! I just got an email from Stuart Kaplan himself. Per the email,
The Pictorial Key has been reprinted with correction to the omission.
I'm getting a free copy of the reprinted book. I would guess that others who've purchased the Commemorative set and would like a replacement book should utilize the Contact Us feature off the USG website as I did.

Rodney

rwcarter

Just when I was starting to wonder where my replacement copy was for the PCS Commemorative set, it appeared yesterday. It's better, but still not perfect. Unlike earlier versions of the book, the Fool is now at the end of the Majors instead of being placed between the Last Judgement and the World. So I'd still consider this to be a misprint.

I haven't had time yet to look through the book to see if there are any other issues with it.

Rodney

Abrac

I just noticed in the online version at Sacred Texts, the first two sentences for XVl The Tower say, "Occult explanations attached to this card are meagre and mostly disconcerting. It is idle to indicate that it depicts [min] in all its aspects, because it bears this evidence on the surface."

Is "min" also how it appears in the hard copy? If so, does anyone think it's a misprint? If not, what could it mean?

KariRoad

Waite 1910: re XV The Devil

"There is a ring in front of the altar, from which two chains are carried to the necks of two figures, male and female. These are analogous with those of the fifth card, as if Adam and Eve after the Fall. Hereof is the chain and fatality of the material life."

The fifth card? Hereof is a doozy of a "misprint" from the pen of Grand Orient.

rwcarter

Abrac said:
I just noticed in the online version at Sacred Texts, the first two sentences for XVl The Tower say, "Occult explanations attached to this card are meagre and mostly disconcerting. It is idle to indicate that it depicts [min] in all its aspects, because it bears this evidence on the surface."

Is "min" also how it appears in the hard copy? If so, does anyone think it's a misprint? If not, what could it mean?
"min" is "ruin" in the University Press copy that I grabbed off the bookcase.

Rodney

rwcarter

KariRoad said:
Waite 1910: re XV The Devil

"There is a ring in front of the altar, from which two chains are carried to the necks of two figures, male and female. These are analogous with those of the fifth card, as if Adam and Eve after the Fall. Hereof is the chain and fatality of the material life."

The fifth card? Hereof is a doozy of a "misprint" from the pen of Grand Orient.
Welcome to Aeclectic, KariRoad!

There are numerous examples of Waite's descriptions not syncing up with Colman Smith's art. But that is an out and out typo that also appears in my University Press PKT. Unless he was cryptically referring to the two acolytes in the Hierophant.... :bugeyed: at the thought....

Rodney

KariRoad

rwcarter said:
Welcome to Aeclectic, KariRoad!

There are numerous examples of Waite's descriptions not syncing up with Colman Smith's art. But that is an out and out typo that also appears in my University Press PKT. Unless he was cryptically referring to the two acolytes in the Hierophant.... :bugeyed: at the thought....

Rodney
Hello Rodney,
The University Press LWB has a truly amazing "typo" in that it also appears in the early (Waddingtons era) Rider Blue Box LWBs. Since the University Press LWB employs English spellings (labour, catalogue, and such) my feeling is, somehow, University Press "borrowed" the text for their RARE little-white-book. Do you have copies to compare? It's a cute little duplicated mistake, in the front part (hint, hint).
:) KariRoad