Malkuth Restored to Daath

Richard

He was probably aware of different Tree's, but used the Kircher Tree in his own work because of the necessity that (a) human consciousness, (b) the universe, and (c) the path of initiation, be represented by one common model.
Which also accounts for HOGD's use of Kircher. Every once in a while I get the urge to consider the Gra because of its delightful symmetry and apparent conformity to the three natural divisions of the Hebrew alphabet, but when (as always) the headache commences, I retreat to the Kircher with profound relief.

GnosticTarotCards

Ari's tree is based upon the "work" that he recommended to be done by ascending through the eight gates of the Kabbalah. He was a great commentator on the Zohar and his work is mainly seen in that respect, although he is considered by some to be obscure its because he wrote in enigmatic ways that are based upon Oral teachings. He expounded lots of work in the "gates" but few are available in English translations.

On the topic of what is the difference from the two main trees Ari and Gra is the "work" that is done through Meditative , and Magical Kabbalah. The actions discussed by the Ari give the "Operative" methods of the Zohar and Torah. Its all a Hierarchy and the entire purpose of the Jewish Kabbalah is to "receive" this Kabal.

The texts are "veiled ways of encoding instructions" on Merkabah

Aeon418

Which also accounts for HOGD's use of Kircher.
The Kircher Tree is an integral part of the Golden Dawn's initiation rites. The various temple layouts are meant to portray the Paths that are being crossed along with the 'revelation' of the corresponding Tarot keys. If you change Tree's you would have to do a complete top-to-bottom rewrite. But why reinvent the wheel when you don't have to?

Of course if you're working within a completely different tradition that has already been mapped to a different Tree why bring in other Trees? It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Every once in a while I get the urge to consider the Gra because of its delightful symmetry and apparent conformity to the three natural divisions of the Hebrew alphabet, but when (as always) the headache commences, I retreat to the Kircher with profound relief.

Sometimes it's enjoyable to make pretty patterns and neat theoretical contructs. But then you come back down to earth when you're faced with the question of practical utility. What does it do? What does it map? How do you use it?

That's one area where Frater Achad got lost IMO.

Zephyros

Sometimes it's enjoyable to make pretty patterns and neat theoretical contructs. But then you come back down to earth when you're faced with the question of practical utility. What does it do? What does it map? How do you use it?

Thanks for saying that. Sometimes I feel a twinge of guilt at not being versed in other Trees, which I keep meaning to come to, really, but never do. But the whole literature I'm immersed in at the moment and have been for two years is geared towards a very specific one.

Aeon418

Sometimes I feel a twinge of guilt at not being versed in other Trees, which I keep meaning to come to, really, but never do. But the whole literature I'm immersed in at the moment and have been for two years is geared towards a very specific one.

Why feel guilty for studying a certain tradition that is keyed to a specific version of the Tree of Life? So what if it's not the one preferred by other schools of Kabbalah. If you're not working within those traditions, why should you feel the need to justify your theories and methods according to their standards? Even if they are not strictly kosher, so to speak.

But there's nothing stopping you branching out at some point and taking a look at other traditions. You never know, you might like what you find. But in the mean time don't let it stop you enjoying the journey, wherever it takes you.

Richard

Thanks for saying that. Sometimes I feel a twinge of guilt at not being versed in other Trees, which I keep meaning to come to, really, but never do.....
I would guess that there's a cultural factor involved? It wouldn't hurt to get Aryeh Kaplan's book on the SY. It seems to be highly regarded by "everybody." However, the closest it gets to anything remotely GD-ish is a reference to Westcott's translation of the SY.

Aeon418

It wouldn't hurt to get Aryeh Kaplan's book on the SY. It seems to be highly regarded by "everybody." However, the closest it gets to anything remotely GD-ish is a reference to Westcott's translation of the SY.

Aryeh Kaplan's version of the Sepher Yetzirah is very good indeed. :thumbsup: But it's practical value to the student of the Hermetic/Golden Dawn Qabalah and it's derivatives is somewhat limited due to Kaplan's reliance on the Gra version of SY.

The Gra version was the synthetic creation of Hebrew Kabbalists from the 16th to 18th centuries, who were particularly careful to bring its technical details into conformity with The Zohar. Many of the correspondences between Hebrew letters, elements, planets, and zodiac signs familiar to Hermetic Qabalists (usually based on some variation of the Short version) are entirely different.

It's still worth a look though, as is most of the stuff written by the late Aryeh Kaplan. You just have to bare in mind that he was writting from the perspective of the latter day reinvention of Rabbinical Kabbalah.

GnosticTarotCards

The "tree" used depends entirely upon what is to be done with it. If one uses the Golden Dawn version of the tree of life, its not a matter of which one is the right one, its a matter of what is to be done with the tree given. Is is to be used for inner alchemical work? is it a Kabbalistic one? Are you using the tree in conjunction with Astrology like the OGD recommends? These questions are essential to figure out "why" one is using a particular tree. It is simply a map and there is no wrong way to get to where someone is going. That being said Kircher was a avid catholic, he detested anything NON Catholic, so its entirely possible in the perpetuation of his version of the Tree the correspondences were destroyed because of the reasoning behind Kircher. Although this is just speculation at best.

I would simply say to anyone using the Order of The Golden Dawn system, to evaluate what the symbol really means. To look at it as not a algebraic symbol of spirituality and intellectual curiosity , but as a real working guide to show different perspectives in everyday life. That was the original purpose of the Sefer Yetzeriah to bring to light the Metaphysical content behind words to the front of a practitioners conciousness. This kind of attention makes the letter have more than just a "symbolic" meaning but the letter will take on a "mind" of its own, a sort of intellegence that seeps through everyday life. Although the real benefit of the Metaphysical content in specific relation to letters comes by extensive knowledge of the Hebrew words and is similar to Vajrayana Buddhism when the Tantric practitioner realizes that all the words in a Mantra are symbolic of seed ideas and powers behind the word. This they call the "Speech Mandala" and it makes the words impregnated with meaning. When taken in a ritualistic context the words of the ritual take on the powers of the Metaphysical system of the letters.

GTC

treedog

The "tree" used depends entirely upon what is to be done with it......
...That was the original purpose of the Sefer Yetzeriah to bring to light the Metaphysical content behind words to the front of a practitioners conciousness. This kind of attention makes the letter have more than just a "symbolic" meaning but the letter will take on a "mind" of its own, a sort of intellegence that seeps through everyday life.

After a long pause, all I can say now is, thank you. There is such great thinking here, and it always comes back to "what am I going to do with it." Ah, the priviledge and responsibility of the path.

Richard

......That being said Kircher was a avid catholic, he detested anything NON Catholic, so its entirely possible in the perpetuation of his version of the Tree the correspondences were destroyed because of the reasoning behind Kircher. Although this is just speculation at best........
Kircher was not just a Catholic, he was a Jesuit. The Jesuits, being scholars and educators, are not known for being excessively narrow-minded. Besides, the relations between the Papacy and the Society of Jesus have not always been cordial.