Bonefire Tarot- From Schiffer Publishing.

nisaba

I didn't realize it was based on the tattoo art of Sailor Jerry.

I'm not entirely sure it is. I've had the good fortune to visit Wooden-eye in her home-and-studio once (hopefully again some day!), and the place was filled with her own art. Some of it originals of this deck, some of it originals from her follow-up oracle-deck, some completely unrelated garden-art, and a few pieces of unrelated house-art.

I think this is just Wooden-eye's individual artistic style: all of her stuff has the same fluid line, and richness of colour. Just as you can immediately recognise - say - a van Gogh or a Turner by style no matter what they're painting, I think you can with a Wooden-Eye, too, no matter what *she's* painting. :)

I'm going to have to get this from my daughter. I'm afraid though, that, she has so many tattoos that she could lay a card on any part of her body and never find it again! She reminds me of Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man ("a vagrant former member of a carnival freak show with an extensively tattooed body whom the unnamed narrator meets"). :joke:

<grin> We have a tattooed lady here at work, and a nicer and lovelier girl you couldn't hope to meet. I asked her once if she had any non-facial shin that wasn't covered, and she proudly showed me a long, thin, oval space of bare skin with a lovely Celtic knotwork frame on one forearm, deliberately left there so that her mother had somewhere to touch her. <laughter>

FLizarraga

NOT in love with the cardstock on this deck. It reminds me of the Son Tarot, which I shuffled more than 1500 times to break in and by the time I got it broken in, I'd lost interest in the deck. I've glanced through the book to look at what Gabi had to say about a card I might be stuck on in a reading, but haven't read the book. Bought the set predominantly for the book, so I guess I can't be too upset about the cardstock.

I was afraid that would happen. The original cardstock is, to my taste, heavenly: thick and sturdy enough, but nice and whippy.

<grin> We have a tattooed lady here at work, and a nicer and lovelier girl you couldn't hope to meet. I asked her once if she had any non-facial shin that wasn't covered, and she proudly showed me a long, thin, oval space of bare skin with a lovely Celtic knotwork frame on one forearm, deliberately left there so that her mother had somewhere to touch her. <laughter>

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

decan

This deck isn't a disappointment for me; I recognize that the card stock could be a bit different, and I think it is as well a deck that could be borderless without titles at the bottom (because there are in the images).
Well, the Bonefire is a bit apart. But it gives answers! (the most important thing)

decan

Look at the pic in attached file!

To the right it is the regular Universal Waite. The Bonefire is one of my favorite decks!
The Queen of Swords is my card for today, the reason I posted it.

Attachments

• Bonefire_Universal.jpg
    Bonefire_Universal.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 149

G6

To the right it is the regular Universal Waite. The Bonefire is one of my favorite decks!

Thanks, decan! 4.5 on the long end is good. I imagine the short is 3.5 or 4 inches because it's more square?

decan

Yes you are right, the short is 3.5!

G6

I got it and unfortunately I think it needs a trim, dang! I saw your borderless version. I think I'm going to keep the titles and a slim black border on the rest, so I can edge it in black with no marker touching the image. It'll be worth it if it's the size of my Dark Carnival.

Also, I feel like Schiffer's decks are lacking saturation or maybe the lack of vibrancy is from the lamination? I imagine the original art on this one like the Mary-El I is much more lively.

Pic of trim size I intend to do on the Bonefire...

Attachments

• IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 113

decan

Interesting!
Nevertheless be careful before you trim, all the images (paintings) haven't exactly the same size; I think the bigger is the image on the 9 of Swords, but I don't remember exactly, it's something to check.