Who wants a cheap, wipe-clean, on-the-go Marseilles?

Le Fanu

Yesterday I was in a bookshop here in Lisbon and came across a mysterious shrink-wrapped box merely labelled "Tarot Deck" for sale in the Esoteric section. It only cost 11 euros so I bought it. Nothing to lose etc.

And I was pleasantly surprised. It is the Convers Marseilles and the cards are big and thick and the quality of the printing is excellent; very sharp, rich colours, with a white border. The cards are very laminated and may indeed be plastic, but the reason Im posting here is that it makes an excellent carrying around deck. Taking away the lamination issue, the cards are actually sharper and richer in colour than the Héron Convers and the Scarabeo one (both of which I like.) It comes with a flimsy pamphlet with a few words (no meanings) by Jane Lyle which I chucked away. Not a beginner´s deck.

Here it is (published by Bounty Books, a discount publisher in the UK.). Part of the box only;

http://www.octopusbooks.co.uk/books/general/9780753715093/tarot-card-deck/

Those of you who want a seriously wipe-clean, good quality, cheap Convers Marseilles to sling in your bag, I think this is wonderful deck. The box is thick card and is like the Golden Tarot/ Pocket Universal Waite box; lift-off top. Very compact. The cards will last forever...

moderndayruth

Thank for this one, Le Fanu - i've seen it here but the box was sealed and i had no idea what's inside... Its a bargain - less than 9 euros around here :bugeyed:
I got Angels Insight Pack that seems to be from the same UK publisher, it's of very high quality though its printed in China.
It's weird becasue all the boxes are sealed, and nothing is written about which deck is inside - i mean, its obvious that it's TdM because of the non-illustrated 4oD, but that's all :confused:
I am so glad i read this post of yours, i do need another TdM apart from the Jean Noblet :D
Thanks! :heart:

ETA for modal verb that got lost in the translation into English :rolleyes:

Le Fanu

Hi, MDRuth You seem to be the only one around here who wants a wipe-clean Marseilles! :)

I do think it´s a good throw-in-the-bag deck. It is odd that there are no clues from the shrink-wrapped box what kind of deck it is. I guessed it was Marseilles too because of the box, but what surprised me was the sharpness and clearness of the illustrations, the quality of the colour. Hyper-resistant material and would also be good for meditation and contemplation (pinned up over desk at work, next to computer and the like; you can spill coffee over them and then just swill them under the tap!) The cards are a good size and the image looms large.

I really like them...

philebus

Ah, not the only one who is interested - the Marseilles is a good pack for game players and wipe clean toughness is a bonus for pub use. I may have to order one to see how it stands next to the Modiano Piedmontese (that's another tough cookie of a pack).

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
Hyper-resistant material and would also be good for meditation and contemplation (pinned up over desk at work, next to computer and the like; you can spill coffee over them and then just swill them under the tap!)
I am going tommorow to that shopping moll where i saw the deck - gawd, what a difference it'll make to once actually have the coffee at the coffee table... For now i am sipping it while standing at the kitchen - i am too terrified to spill the cofee over the cards to bring it anywhere close the coffee table :D

Debra

If it IS the one teomat posted, I've got it

In the US, it comes in a big heavy box (very long and thin, good quality box) with a stupid book. Cost about $12 or so at Borders bookstores, either on the shelves or shoved in the back of the locked tarot deck cabinets they have now.

I trimmed mine--took off the white borders, down to the "original" off-white card. I like it.

Le Fanu

Not sure it is this one. Firstly the colours are richer in the wipe-clean one I mentioned. Secondly, it says first published 2007 (Bounty Books), but then again the corners look as rounded as the one Ive got. Does your Strength card have faint blusher on the cheeks of the maiden?

Debra, did you think twice before trimming the borders? Youd have to with this deck because it feels plastic. Good quality, laser-thin, matt-finish plastic, but plastic nonetheless. I thought of trimming but it would interfere with the backs, an elaborate swords/cups/sun/moon/dolphins/swirly-wirly pattern.

Plus weirdly, the backs have a tiny blue triangle pointing upwards on the backs of cards you never know if they are reversed! Like the 10 of Wands...:)

I like it for - as they say - "study"

BrightEye

I saw this one for 8 Euros here. Do I need another Marseille? And it's big. Where will I put it? But, but .... I do need another Marseille because I only have two real ones.