Who wants a cheap, wipe-clean, on-the-go Marseilles?

Debra

Mine has the tiny blue triangle, too. It's for those who read reversals. The backs are a pretty line-drawn design in blue-purple ink. It's definitely paper, though, not plastic. So these may be the same images on different cardstock.

moderndayruth

Sould out in that bookstore, they had only three and won't be receiving more :( I rang a cousine in Belgrade to check out whether there are any decks left...*sigh*

Le Fanu

What a shame... if you really want one, I can get you one from here and we can trade for something, anything, a tarot bag maybe or fortune telling cards... let me know...

moderndayruth

Thanks, Le Fanu! :heart: If my cousin doesn't find it in Belgrade i count on that :)

Debra

From the description of the backs I'm certain that this is a reprint on plastic or plastic-y cardstock of the so-called "Thunder Bay" deck, which is based on a special edition of the Conver by Camoin published in 1960.

The backs feature dark blue line-drawn swords through crowns, big cups, raindrops, fire, flowers and vines, suns and dolphins. And on the pip cards, a tiny triangle to indicate which end is up.

Mine is printed on standard white cardstock. I trimmed around the pale yellowish edge of the original card borders. Trimming is a little uneven, as the cards would have been way back when. Sulis trimmed hers, too, as I recall.

A nice deck. Search "Thunder Bay" for more discussion in the forum.

:)

Logiatrix

Where is this tiny triangle? I can find it on mine (Thunder Bay version).:(

Debra

It's only on the numbered pips where you wouldn't otherwise be able to tell which end is "up"--not on the courts, aces or trumps.

On the bottom (or top, lol) edge, in the center, on the back.

Earlier editions of the deck didn't have the little triangle.

It's solid, small, unobtrusive.

Logiatrix

Thanks, Debra!:)

Okay, yes...my older edition doesn't have it. I have a newer edition that I just unsealed, and it indeed has the little dark triangle tipping a sword in the back design of those designated cards. Hmm. Interesting. Cool.;)

Yes, I do agree that this a reasonable, no-hassle Marseille deck to use on a regular basis. Le Fanu, thanks for reminding me about it!:heart:

Le Fanu

Yes, Debra, from your description of the backs, it must be the same one.

I don´t know whether the little blue triangle is a good thing or a bad thing. You know if it´s reversed, but you can also spot a mile off which cards are pips!

(by the way, my ace of swords has a triangle!)

What I would love to know (and which I never shall) is how different the cardstock on your edition is. This UK publication really feels like plastic...