Who wants a cheap, wipe-clean, on-the-go Marseilles?

Debra

Nice list of decks you've got, le Fanu. The card stock is about like the Llewellyn--thin, light varnish.

Not as nice as the Holitzka I-Ching, for example.

moderndayruth

Yay, a friend of mine is getting the deck for me (elswhere, not in Serbia) !!! :D

moderndayruth

Bumping the thread, since my decks arrived! :D
I managed to get them here, in Montenegro; anyway, i have now the deck Le Fanu posted about and something more - the same deck, in luxurious box, with a book "The Illustrated Guide to Tarot" by Jane Lyle?!
It's from the same bookstore where i spotted the first deck which was sold out immediately, i left my phone number there so they can contact me; yesterday the manager calls and says "we have the deck you wanted, but we have something more, a set which includes another deck, do you want that one too?" Well, of course! :D Anyway, to my dissapointment, the decks are identical; i didn't have the time to read the book which comes with the set - i just read briefly couple of pages, but it seems to be a good begginers book; the box is absolutely beautiful so the set is an ideal present for someone who is just starting their Tarot journey! :D
(I do have in mind a friend with upcoming birthday! ;))
And, its really low-cost, at least around here, the deck is eight euros and the set is twelve e. ;)

Le Fanu

Gosh, that is cheap. I paid 11 euros... And I didn´t get a book, just a hopeless LWB which I chucked away immediately...

Im so glad it arrived (quite a while ago now since I posted...) I also thought that it would make a nice present for someone; it has a substantial luxurious feel to it, doesn´t it? And the quality of the reproduction is superb. It is like having a zoom lense permanently focussed on a Conver Marseilles! I often get it out to look close up at stuff.

I bought an extra one for my desk drawer at work (where I also have a Thoth; equipped for any eventuality!) and have been "consulted" by colleagues :D

gregory

Don't fret, Le Fanu - the book is JUST AWFUL. (The purple faux-satin reading cloth I got with mine is OK, though !!!!)

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
Im so glad it arrived (quite a while ago now since I posted...)
Lol, Le Fanu, in Balkans things do take time... :D
When i moved here, a decade ago, i also had that "central-European" thing for timing, but i did learn meanwhile that the time is an illusion and i developed patience... That's - after of couple of 'on the edge of nervous breakdown' situations, but - better late than never! :D
OT, but... I am forever grateful to Em, Sidhe Ra, for the patience she had with our ToBM project, we (that's - publisher, print etc.) were late for a year ... You know, at the end of things - in my experience - in Balkans one gets the best deals at the end, but, one has to realise that 'couple of days' can mean 'couple of months' and that 'couple of months' can easily strech out to over a year... :rolleyes:

Le Fanu said:
I also thought that it would make a nice present for someone; it has a substantial luxurious feel to it, doesn´t it? And the quality of the reproduction is superb. It is like having a zoom lense permanently focussed on a Conver Marseilles! I often get it out to look close up at stuff.
Yes to all, exactly! Awww, i am so happy we are sharing the excitment about this deck! :D :thumbsup:

Le Fanu said:
I bought an extra one for my desk drawer at work (where I also have a Thoth; equipped for any eventuality!) and have been "consulted" by colleagues :D
Well, maybe i can get another set for the friend's birthday and keep both of these for myself... })
The more i think about it, the more it sounds like a great idea... :angel:

gregory said:
Don't fret, Le Fanu - the book is JUST AWFUL. (The purple faux-satin reading cloth I got with mine is OK, though !!!!)
:shhh: Greg!!! C'mmon, it's not that bad... :D (Haven't read it thoroughly, but i think i did read many worse! :D)
Why didn't i get the cloth?! :mad:
Right, it is obvious that something is missing - because inside the box there are like wholes for both Majors and Minors since they come separately and there is different place for the book and than there was that area which was empty... My mom did say 'something is missing here' and i was like 'naaah'... Yep, mom's are usually right, especially in such cases! :D

gregory

I bought a second copy once when I wanted a cheap Marseille to keep over here - and the book was missing so I got it half price.... The box isn't great for making sure it all stays put....

But come ON, MDR - take another look at that book...... :eek:

moderndayruth

gregory said:
But come ON, MDR - take another look at that book...... :eek:
I will, Greg, but the box is really beautiful... I guess this is more suitable for the de-enabling thread, so i'll post there about it! :D

Debra

Is it this one, MDR? http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Set-Illustrated-Book/dp/1592231381

I have this one. It came with one deck of cards, which I trimmed down a bit to the off-white/yellow original borders. They look great. The book, I don't know what I did with it but I don't have it any more.

The book doesn't have anything to do with Marseille cards.

ETA: The kit came with a terrible little piece of purple cloth. I save cloth for various projects but this bit was so sleazy that I threw it away. I couldn't think of a single thing it would be "nice" to use for.

Jane Lyle seems to be involved in a lot of projects with quality control problems.

rwcarter

A friend from here at AT gave me this set. (And yes, I hope that's the set we're talking about Debra cause that's the one I'm talking about.) I didn't really look through the book that thoroughly, so I had seen that the book was illustrated with both TdM and RWS. I just took another look and see that the TdM is only used to illustrate the Majors. All the Minor cards are illustrated with RWS. How utterly bizarre to not use the deck that comes with the book to illustrate each of the cards in the book.... So I can see why people are saying that the book is worthless (at least from a TdM perspective).

Rodney