Who wants a cheap, wipe-clean, on-the-go Marseilles?

moderndayruth

Debra said:
Is it this one, MDR? http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Set-Illustrated-Book/dp/1592231381

I have this one. It came with one deck of cards, which I trimmed down a bit to the off-white/yellow original borders. They look great. The book, I don't know what I did with it but I don't have it any more.

The book doesn't have anything to do with Marseille cards.
Yes, Debra, that's the set - but the box i got is indigo blue, really big one, like five regular decks can be placed inside, it has TdM courts on the top and it says "Tarot Box"... i mean, in comparison with other prices here - only the box is worth more than i paid for the whole set! ;)
(Another thing is that i really don't have where to place it - lol, if you by chance saw pics of my place in the "pictures of your reading space" thread - you know what i am talking about, i simply don't have any free room and i am, like, OCD about all the stuff being neat and tidy... For now, the set is at my parent's place, and i have to make up my mind quickly because they like it but don't have any room left either... :D)
rwcarter said:
A friend from here at AT gave me this set. (And yes, I hope that's the set we're talking about Debra cause that's the one I'm talking about.) I didn't really look through the book that thoroughly, so I had seen that the book was illustrated with both TdM and RWS. I just took another look and see that the TdM is only used to illustrate the Majors. All the Minor cards are illustrated with RWS. How utterly bizarre to not use the deck that comes with the book to illustrate each of the cards in the book.... So I can see why people are saying that the book is worthless (at least from a TdM perspective).

Rodney
Rodney, basically i am looking for an excuse to keep the box and now that you posted about TdM book being illustrated with RWS images... :mad:
I did notice that and it is bizarre (and i hoped no one would point that out lol )... but the box is absolutely beautiful!!! :D
(I did post in the de-enabling thread meanwhile! ;))

Debra

Keep the box. Put pens and papers in it, or just put it in a drawer with socks and underwear until you find a better use. :heart:

moderndayruth

Debra said:
Keep the box. Put pens and papers in it, or just put it in a drawer with socks and underwear until you find a better use. :heart:
Exactly! :D Great idea, btw, i do always have the pens and stuff laying around on the coffee table, i can actually place them in the box, its far more aestethic! :thumbsup:
Thanks Debra!!! :D :love:

rwcarter

moderndayruth said:
but the box is absolutely beautiful!!! :D
(Ducking) I daresay the box is the best part of the set.... (still ducking)

And every time I say "there's no more room" something else comes in and I manage to find more room for it. :D

Rodney

gregory

Photo of the allegedly nice box/es, please.... Mine certainly isn't worth keeping just for being a box.... :confused: I use it when packing, for things I don't want to get crushed..... ;)

moderndayruth

rwcarter said:
(Ducking) I daresay the box is the best part of the set.... (still ducking)
Lol, Rodney - that's 100% true, the book is... well, bizarre (can't think of another euphemism right now ;)) and it does fade in comparison with the box! :D

rwcarter said:
And every time I say "there's no more room" something else comes in and I manage to find more room for it. :D

Rodney

Oy, i've been doing that since i moved from 150 m2 house in Belgrade to 68m2 apartment here... And i also became very creative in terms of space-managing! :D I do have two huge balconies though, and i plan to put a glass wall on one of them... so, there will be a "plenty" of room for storage! :D

gregory

It's not the box on this amazon listing is it ? That's mine and it is horrid..... (IMHO)

But the deck's not bad at all - even untrimmed. The book, as I say, is.......

rwcarter

gregory,

Yes, that's the box I'm talking about. First off, it's purple. The card(?) board is a nice weight. It's purple. :) It's roomy. And did I mention it's purple? :laugh:

Taking a better look at the box, I can see how once it starts to go, it will disintegrate in very little time. But right now my box is in perfect condition.

And it's purple. })

Rodney

Sumada

Spot the differences!

I have both the Thunder Bay and the newer Bounty Books printings of this deck.
The Thunder Bay copy came with a book that has a cartoonish jester on the cover, but I must confess I have no memory of the contents; I probably just skimmed through it on arrival and decided it wasn't my thing. Also, the cards themselves are perilously thin!

But I really like the look, feel and larger size of the Bounty Books copy, although I have always been disappointed with those blue triangles on the backs of some of them. But now I feel really silly for not noticing which cards the triangles were on! Makes sense at some level, but I would still prefer that they were not there at all. The Aces of Batons and Swords hardly need them, neither does the 4 of Coins with its shield, nor the 4 + 6 of Swords with the flower in the centre. In fact, the 10 and all the odd numbered swords don't require it for that matter either, because I've always seen the central sword as pointing upwards as per the Ace.

Great to find people as interested in the minutiae as myself, (and some folk are obviously even more observant than I), but you know what? if you look really really closely at those backs there are subtle differences anyway, so the triangles are actually unnecessary. But you do have to look very closely...

moderndayruth

gregory said:
It's not the box on this amazon listing is it ? That's mine and it is horrid..... (IMHO)

But the deck's not bad at all - even untrimmed. The book, as I say, is.......
No, no - its not the same box, i did take the pics of mine and i am looking right now for a cable that i need to transfer the pics from the camera to my pc (because i don't know how to use bluetooth )...:rolleyes:

Sumada, I love the cards - i'd love to trimm them at some point of time, but than i am quite lazy for that right now... ( though i did have a manic-trimming phase last summer when half of my decks got rid of borders. :D)