Chrysalis tarot

Falcor

It is a deck that you need to learn about and yes, it is different from the usual RWS style. But I find this deck to be great in looks and readings. For me it is awesome and I don't see myself giving it away.

Sibylline

I, too, found the inclusion of Merlin as the fool to be odd...until I figured out how to read this deck. And it took me the better half of a year to figure it out.

I found the keys to working with this deck are to: 1) throw out all the traditional meanings we have associated with tarot, 2) engage in our very human propensity for storytelling, 3) throw out the Chrysalis LWB and guidebook meanings if you're not into them.

None of that was easy for me as I'm a Thoth and RWS reader. But, if you're looking for a completely different animal to help stretch your intuitive and creative muscles, then this deck might be right for you.

I remember listening to an interview with Toney Brooks that offered a significant gem in understanding what the deck is doing. It seems the creator wanted to do away with traditional patriarchal structures of religion and problematic gender associations he finds are the groundwork in the RWS. As I understood it, that means that traditional RWS meanings and symbolism don't apply to this deck.

If memory serves, he also mentioned that the decision to include the traditional RWS titles was the choice of the publisher rather than the creator. If we try to read the Chrysalis with RWS associations, the deck doesn't make much sense and we might start wondering whether the creator understands tarot at all.

But the thing is, this deck isn't even trying to be RWS. While it does rely on the traditional model of majors, minors, suits, and courts....I think that's where traditions begin and end.

For example, I read the Fool card (called "The Hero" in the Chrysalis) in a way I've never read it before. Rather than seeing Merlin as the Fool, the querent is actually a hero and Merlin is the first character the querent meets on his/her journey. Isn't it interesting that the first person we meet is a shrewd magician who can dazzle us with his magic and illusions? How many stories have we read where heroes must contend with someone who can either lead us or fool us? I could go on, but I'll say this...the Chrysalis makes me think about how tarot is the "Hero's Journey" rather than the "Fool's Journey."

In sum, rather than treating the deck as "work" that must include a lot of journaling and whatnot, I find that engaging my intuition and creative storytelling side is all that is needed in reading this deck. Given that's the case for me, I use it for personal growth readings rather than predictive readings.

Whether this deck can be classified as an oracle or a tarot is certainly up for debate. I just find that the deck does its own thing.

Hope that helps!