LXXXI - The Quareia Magician's Deck

delinfrey

Holding it in my hands right now!

Very fast delivery, I was seriously impressed. The package contains a small book with the deck in bubble wrap (yay!).

I was very impressed to see that Josephine had signed the book with best wishes, what an amazingly nice touch!

The deck is printed by WinGO (which seems to be a boardgame producer/publisher), so the cardstock reminds that of boardgames. It's sturdy and the cards have this specific "new boardgame" smell. There are the cutting marks (little dots) visible on the sides of the deck (as visible on several videos), but I think I will edge the deck and that will do the trick.

Shuffles wonderfully and feels good to hold otherwise. Doesn't give the Tarot vibe at all, in fact, the deck itself feels literally like cardboard (not in a bad sense), it seems to "activate" when you use it.

I must say I am not a fan of the font or the faux parchment at all. I am working through the Quareia modules currently and Josephine seems SO to the point, clear and "no BS" type of person, the LotR font (it seems to me that it is, literally, the same font used in the movies on maps and books) and faux parchment looks kinda tacky and cheap, and draws away from the mystique. I think this deck would have benefited immensely from Mary-Elesque approach of going with black borders (if borders are deemed necessary). Then the golden thin border around the image itself could have born the colour code (green, red etc) for the different realms.

Off to do my first Mystical Map now!

cynthea

Why not included in Tarot deck Reviews on Eclectic Tarot?

Has anyone requested this deck to be added? I hesitated because on contact form states she receives a lot of mail and I want to make sure I am not missing something. I searched under alphabetical listing at top with numbers, under L and Q and I do not see LXXXI - THE QUAREIA included? I just discovered this deck recently, and did start the first module yesterday :) I see this thread was started months ago. How is everyone liking this deck and/or modules? Thanks :)

rylla

From the quareia website:

"LXXXI - The Quareia Magician's Deck is not based upon any tarot system, but rather it draws upon the mythic, mystical and magical powers that underpin the magical systems that tarot eventually developed out of. It is based upon real inner realms, real inner contacts, beings and forces that the practitioner of magic is very likely to involve themselves with. "

It seems more like an oracle deck than tarot. It doesn't have the 'tarot DNA' (an expression I just learned from a post on AT by nemia and I'm loving it)

ivanna

The Quareia's deck is a magical deck specially designed for magical or deep questions. My recommendation is not to use it to mundane questions, as this deck is not designed for that. In that case a RWS is better
The Quareia's deck match better with questions about magical stuff, knowing about energies on a place/person, some health questions, and for death.
IMHO I wouldn't use it as an ordinary oracle or for mundane questions because it's going to give non-understandable answers, but for magical or deeper stuff is amazing.

baconwaffles

Has anyone requested this deck to be added? I hesitated because on contact form states she receives a lot of mail and I want to make sure I am not missing something. I searched under alphabetical listing at top with numbers, under L and Q and I do not see LXXXI - THE QUAREIA included? I just discovered this deck recently, and did start the first module yesterday :) I see this thread was started months ago. How is everyone liking this deck and/or modules? Thanks :)
This is a bit late as time has elapsed but how did you find the modules? I plan on starting them within the following month and buying the deck.

Siavahda

I have this deck, and it is beautiful and powerful, but I think if you're considering getting it you should know they have a printing issue, the cards are all nicked along the top and bottom of each side all through the deck. It bothers someone like me a lot, I get anxious when my cards aren't in perfect condition.

I emailed them about it and they told me it was a mistake at the card-cutter's and not a one-off flaw, all the decks are like that. They were very nice about it, but could only offer a refund, not a replacement (I didn't take them up on it, because it's still a beautiful deck, but they were very polite and apologetic.)

Just something to bear in mind if you're considering buying it!

Mittkait

This deck is extremely powerful. If you aren't ready for it, it will knock you down. In my case, it dredged up a lot of shadow stuff that surprised me, some I wasn't aware of consciously.

I agree that it isn't deck you use like a regular tarot or oracle.

My deck was in relatively good condition when it arrived to me. The box had a few dings received during mailing. The cards are large and yes can be prone to chipping. But so far, it has held up well.

baconwaffles

Thank you both for the wonderful feedback. I will definitely be acquiring the deck once I begin the Quareia course this summer, hopefully. I look forward to using it!