Llewellyn's new card stock

G6

Dear Llewellyn...

WoW! I was just going to post a thread on this today and there already is one, perfect! I have decided not to buy Llewellyn decks anymore. It started with the Classic Llewellyn, then I forgot about it until I grabbed a cheap Linestrider on eBay. I realized after I got the deck (for a very small price) that someone probably bought the box edition for the book and didn't want the deck, so without further ado here is my open letter to Llewellyn...

Dear Llewellyn,

I am no longer buying your Tarot decks because your cardstock has passed the threshold of minimal acceptability for a Tarot deck. To be more plain, your cardstock is too cheap and we all know it. We talk about this on this forum all the time. Most recently everyone cried with disappointment about your Modern Spellcasters Tarot. However, I have a couple of simple suggestions to remedy this issue for the customers you have alienated through you business decisions and production practices of late.

1. Use better cardstock/lamination and increase the price of your decks or cut your profits.

2. See if you can wing ding a deal with Lo Scarabeo to print your decks for you.

I thank you in advance for your thoughtful condsideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

G6
Former Llewellyn Customer

G6

PS

To be fair though you seemed to want to make an improvement with your Lindstrider deck, which is not quiet as painfully cheap as some of your other recent decks.

G6

Wow. Mine is almost thick enough for coasters ! Maybe they heard you and now I get.... It's like Schiffer's worst stock.

Be fair. They got rid of the organza bags that fell apart when you put a card in them, and the boxes are HUGELY improved.

Themes - they know what sells for them. Any publisher will roll with that. But card stock from good to dire - that really isn't OK.

I think these are the two types of cardstocks that perhaps Katey is referring to? The Llewellyn Clasic, Modern Spellcasters, etc. MOST Llewellyn decks have the cheapest of cheap THIN cardstock. For a box kit retail brice of $34.95 that most of their go for it is shamefully poor product quality. The Linestrider is of the later type Gregory referred to that seems "coaster" like. I'm afraid to use it because I know it will get damaged easily plus it is all white, so I will likely pass it on.

G6

I did buy the Animal Totem and DO NOT like this kind of cardstock at all :( . I prefer the old ones, even only with its gliding propety alone.

Could anyone please describe the cardstock of the Linestrider Tarot (recent edition published by Llewellyn)? I've seen some have already got their Linestrider deck, but don't know whether the cardstock will be the same as the Animal Totem's or not.

:)

Linestrider is thicker than most Llewellyn paper thin decks, but stiff and it seems that it will show wear and damage easily. If you love the deck and plan to keep it, wear it out and buy another one you should be fine. Would be curious how long it holds up over heavy daily use.

G6

I'm really hoping to experience this new stock sometime soon. I wonder how one can have the best luck in doing so while ordering online...? I'm not sure if the deck or the seller is the more important factor in the product turning out to be on the new stock.

Advice, opinions? :)

I don't know that this is "new cardstock" I think the Linestrider cardstock might be a one off for that deck.

Does anybody have another Llewellyn deck with coaster cardstock vs. painfully paper thin?

Ruby Jewel

WoW! I was just going to post a thread on this today and there already is one, perfect! I have decided not to buy Llewellyn decks anymore. It started with the Classic Llewellyn, then I forgot about it until I grabbed a cheap Linestrider on eBay. I realized after I got the deck (for a very small price) that someone probably bought the box edition for the book and didn't want the deck, so without further ado here is my open letter to Llewellyn...

Dear Llewellyn,

I am no longer buying your Tarot decks because your cardstock has passed the threshold of minimal acceptability for a Tarot deck. To be more plain, your cardstock is too cheap and we all know it. We talk about this on this forum all the time. Most recently everyone cried with disappointment about your Modern Spellcasters Tarot. However, I have a couple of simple suggestions to remedy this issue for the customers you have alienated through you business decisions and production practices of late.

1. Use better cardstock/lamination and increase the price of your decks or cut your profits.

2. See if you can wing ding a deal with Lo Scarabeo to print your decks for you.

I thank you in advance for your thoughtful condsideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

G6
Former Llewellyn Customer

I just bought the Llewelyn Classic Tarot and you are right....the card stock seemed a little thin and cheap...but I let it slide....now I am taking note of it for the future. Thanks.

Dogs&Coffee

To be fair though you seemed to want to make an improvement with your Lindstrider deck, which is not quiet as painfully cheap as some of your other recent decks.

Improvement? they printed my copy on single ply toilet paper....

Essjay

I bought a linestrider a couple of weeks ago, and the cardstock is awful. I've never experienced anything so bad.

Argh! Am so disappointed for both of us. I was hoping it may have improved with subsequent printings.

I have never had a deck bow so badly and that was pretty much out of the box. I have the Fools Dog app and use that for the Linestrider. How infuriating to not be able to use the physical deck at all.

Essjay

I don't know that this is "new cardstock" I think the Linestrider cardstock might be a one off for that deck.

Does anybody have another Llewellyn deck with coaster cardstock vs. painfully paper thin?

My Animal Totem and Modern Spellcasters is thin but at least it sits flat and I've used the Animal Totem almost daily since it came out last year. I'm not sure how it will last but both are easy to shuffle.

My Linestrider is coaster thick, unpliable and bowed.

Dogs&Coffee

My Animal Totem and Modern Spellcasters is thin but at least it sits flat and I've used the Animal Totem almost daily since it came out last year. I'm not sure how it will last but both are easy to shuffle.

My Linestrider is coaster thick, unpliable and bowed.

My Linestrider is super duper thin and bends too easily... It's like shuffling copy paper. Also compared to what I've seen posted of the indie printing and the artist's website where you can buy prints of some of the cards, the colors are really washed out.

The book is wonderful but I've never been so disappointed in an actual deck before. She's got a new deck coming out and you can bet I'll be getting the self published version before Llewellyn ruins it.