Urban Tarot

ana luisa

I have been REALLY tempted to take the plunge and buy this deck. I NEVER spend more than 30 dollars on a deck (shipping included) so this one, adding up to 54 is quite a stretch... I would love to know who uses it and how it works for you. I know some think it's a bit "restrictive" in the sense that the courts assign specific roles to each card. But still, some cards in it are simply phenomenal. The Devil and the Moon are SO graphic and visceral, love it ! Oh, and before I forget, how small are the images ? I saw videos and calculated the actual size of the cards but how small are the actual images if you disconsider the borders ? Can you see them clearly ?
Thank you for ANY input !!! :)

ana luisa

Nobody ?

starlightexp

You'll find that people tend to post here on the weekdays more but for what I can offer I do own the deck it's about a 1/4 inch shorter and a 1/4 in wider then a normal RWS deck. If you cut the border off you'll end up with something about the size of a regular poker deck.The card stock is wonderful and the printing is very very well done. Its' a deck that reads quite well right out of the box with it's blend of everyday and Thoth.

gregory

I have it; I like it a lot; I was holding off posting, as I don't have it WITH me, but I think it would read very well, and certainly the images don't feel "small" if that makes sense. When I get back I will give it an outing and let you know.

Enlightenment23

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this deck.

Where do I start? Okay let's start with the downsides. At first, I was a little disappointed when I got this deck. The images were a little dull and a little hard to see. And the border is very distracting. I was like "noooooooo! what happened? This just doesn't match the beautiful art I saw on the internet!!" But I eventually got used to it.

Also, a lot of the minors mimic the Thoth deck. But if you're totally into Thoth, this will be an awesome deck for you. But personally, not really my thang.

The upside is that the art is phenomenal (I, too, LOVE the Devil and The Moon!) and I'd say 90% of Robin Scott's depictions of the cards are spot on and damn-near powerful. However, I still have difficulties connecting with some cards, particularly Aeon (Judgement) and some Thoth-inspired minors such as the 3 of Wands and the 6 of Swords. I'd totally suggest purchasing because there's a possibility you can be lost without it. Some of the cards, such as the 7 of Disks, can't be deciphered without Scott's explanations.

I think that, because it's a modern deck, you'll absolutely will connect with this deck like peanut butter and jelly. I'm sure readings will make much more sense.

As for the court cards, I love them. At first, I did not. I just don't see the Queen of Swords as a "painter" or the Knight of Disks as a "chef." But what I noticed is that the court cards' expression, not the actual by-the-book meaning of the court card, is what I extract from the spreads.

For example, I once gotten the Prince of Disks (The Day Trader) as what a querent wanted the most in her life at this point in time. The Day Trader is your average joe standing in an office giving a "thumbs up." I guessed that the querent wanted approval from her husband. I was spot on. Or the Queen of Wands, who is usually this popular, smoldering hot, sociable woman, is a scowling public defender in the Urban Tarot deck. I've gotten this card as a querent scaring the dickens out of other men because of her "Resting b***h face," as they call it.

Overall, I absolutely recommend this deck. It's my fav. :)

BlueLotus

I have been REALLY tempted to take the plunge and buy this deck. I NEVER spend more than 30 dollars on a deck (shipping included) so this one, adding up to 54 is quite a stretch... I would love to know who uses it and how it works for you. I know some think it's a bit "restrictive" in the sense that the courts assign specific roles to each card. But still, some cards in it are simply phenomenal. The Devil and the Moon are SO graphic and visceral, love it ! Oh, and before I forget, how small are the images ? I saw videos and calculated the actual size of the cards but how small are the actual images if you disconsider the borders ? Can you see them clearly ?
Thank you for ANY input !!! :)

If you have an iPhone, I suggest you check this deck on Fool's dog llc. app if you haven't already.

Try to play with it on that app and then decide whether you want to get it or not.

That was just my humble opinion ;)

I've just checked that app again and found that there's a book to match the printed edition

BodhiSeed

If you can spring for a book, get it; it is one of the better ones I've seen that tell you what's in the card instead of just how to read it (as well as large, color images of the cards). The only downside to this deck that I've found is that a few of the cards are darkish color-wise, but other than that I would say this is one of the best sets I've bought in years. If you do a search on my blog, you may get an idea of how it read for me if you're interested.

Enlightenment23

If you have an iPhone, I suggest you check this deck on Fool's dog llc. app if you haven't already.

Try to play with it on that app and then decide whether you want to get it or not.

That was just my humble opinion ;)

I've just checked that app again and found that there's a book to match the printed edition

This is a great idea. You can get a feel for it on the Fool's Dog app. Its around $4-ish if Im not mistaken.

VGimlet

I can only add a bit more to what others have said - I do like this deck, and it immediately went on my list of decks I want to use more extensively.

If you are looking for a deck with modern symbolism, this is a very good one, IMO. I also like that it would be good for both beginners and more advanced users.

Sphynx131

Been looking at this deck for a while and bought the app the other day. And now I've ordered the deck and book because I really wanted to work with a physical deck for this one. I can't wait to get it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk