New deck The Disciples Tarot

deb13b

I've been following the progress of this deck for a while and it is now available for preorder. I am, as usual, unable to buy it due to lack of funds but I thought I'd put it on here as I can't find any threads on it and I wouldn't want you guys to miss out!

https://north-witches-tarot.myshopify.com

RiverRunsDeep

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am smitten, and simply had to preorder it. I don't entirely follow the idea of the images being "disciples", but I do love the symbolism of bones and skulls in tarot. Plus, all of those masked, faceless figures make the images surreal and dreamlike. Not being able to see the facial expressions/emotions/identities of the figures lends an interesting ambiguity and sense of the unknown, which I think will give a unique twist to readings. Also, I see lots of purple. Purple is always good! The artistic style vaguely reminds me of the Starchild Akashic Tarot.

Tarotwolf

I too was wondering what "disciples" had to do with this deck; and then found this explanation by the artist:

"Lacking any real “ah-ha” moment I decided the best thing to do was to start pulling cards from my deck and just start experimenting. I began to see glimpses and parts of the feel I wanted for this deck , but still card to card I struggled to create a real connection. A few weeks before Halloween on some of our feverish decoration hunting I brought home a very realistic looking longhorn cow skull. I was instantly inspired to start photographing it! It reminded me of the skulls that adorn the side of my mothers house. It reminded me of the antlers my father would hang on our shed growing up. It reminded me of a trip out west with my husband. It felt bohemian, it felt on trend. It made me think about the cycle of life, what we start with and what we leave behind. Using the image of the skull like a mask on the characters in my cards gave them an androgynous and very esoteric look. Deciding the characters in my tarot deck would be a tribe that wore the mask of horn and bone was very much the “ah-ha” moment I had been waiting for, the skull with horns was my muse.

The Disciples are the wise ones to travel with in the cards. The mask worn by the characters throughout the deck represent their teachings, their position on their journey. The are the receivers and givers of the knowledge, they are the keepers of magic and the guardians of life’s mysteries and they have been my guides as I become a disciple of tarots teachings."

gregory

It's lovely. BUT - customs charges....

deb13b

It's lovely. BUT - customs charges....

I'm skint anyway but I think I would probably be the one that gets pulled up by customs and have to pay charges lol. I'm just going to have to admire it from afar.

aquestionmark

I really want to love this deck but this one feels too samey for me...

gregory

If there are copies left when I next get to Canada....

RiverRunsDeep

Just received this deck last week, and wanted to post my first impressions (haven't actually read with it yet).

The tarot box and card stock remind me of Gamecrafter decks. So, basically, the card stock is flimsy and the tarot box will fall to pieces if I look at it too harshly. Not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but I know these things are important to others.

My main disappointment in the deck is the use of the Longhorn cow skull in the artwork. I assumed all of the figures would be disguised by the skull, but only some of them are. Many of the figures only wear a crown with horns, but their faces are visible, so it ruins the theme of androgyny/ambiguity. They stick out like a sore thumb. Such a letdown!

The colors are on the dark side, lots of purples and navy blues, so it is the perfect shadowy, twilight deck. Pretty artwork.

Hmmm....no doubt I will enjoy the deck and use it for readings, but if you missed out on purchasing it, you needn't be too heartbroken. :)

Dogs&Coffee

Just got my Disciples Tarot... and I have mixed feelings... It's got such beautiful imagery, and it's a game crafter deck (says so on the inside of the box)... for what the deck costs, I was expecting a nice indie printing... not game crafter :(

It reads well though, and the images don't feel like they were rushed or anything. I give the deck a C+ / B-... it would be an A+, but Game Crafter?..... ugh.

JadePixie

I ordered this, before I'd heard of the quality issues (hasn't arrived yet). Kind of feeling like a moron for paying so much (AUD wasn't cheap!) oh well, hoping I fall in love with it regardless. The imagery appeals to me more than the similarly coloured Starchild deck.