mythic tarot question

starchild

Hi everyone, i have searched and scratched my head and was hoping someone here would have the answer. I own a mythic tarot, (not the new mythic but the old one with the hardback book) on the large deck and book box it says rider books, inside the book it says 1986 rider and yet on the deck review here at aeclectic it says the publisher of the deck is fireside, when i check out the new mythic deck review it says publisher rider and co 1986.
This has me a little confused and i may be staring the answer in the face but does anyone know if the publisher of the mythic deck of cards is Rider or Fireside ??
thank you in advance for any info.

starchild

just to add, i did an isbn search on the box isbn and the book came up as published by Rider and co. i don't have the deck isbn so unsure if it would be the same publisher?

Patrick Booker

I have the deck and book, which is black with a hard cover. Inside it gives Rider as the publisher, but also Eddison/Sadd Editions Limited 1986, and later Century Hutchinson Group (SA) Pry Ltd. Rider was an old established publisher of mystical and occult titles - I think that Hutchinson took them over. No mention of Fireside. The ISBN number is given as 0 7126 1270 X. I no longer have the original box.

Patrick

starchild

hi patric, i have the same deck and book then as our isbn numbers are the same, and no i also couldnt find any where that said fireside.
but do you know if rider is the publisher of the book and deck or just the book. Im looking for the publisher of the tarot deck. thanks for your reply x

G6

I believe Fireside is the second edition publisher. Cards have purple backs. 1st edition has black backs.

starchild

hi G6, mine are almost black although i can see a hint of dark purple (i think) they have an emblem on the back in gold of the four suits together in the center of the card, if the second edition is fireside do you know who published the first edition?
thanks for your reply.

G6

hi G6, mine are almost black although i can see a hint of dark purple (i think) they have an emblem on the back in gold of the four suits together in the center of the card, if the second edition is fireside do you know who published the first edition?
thanks for your reply.

Seems earlier editions are listed as Simon and Shuster and Century Rand. The Fireside editions I know about are later and have purple backs. You can do an Amazon search to try to find an exact match for what you have.

G6

This states that Firestone were part of Simon & Schuster:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/.../article/44381-touchstone-drops-fireside.html

All seems a bit convoluted. I've never heard of a deck and guidebook having different publishers when they come together as a box set.

Patrick

It does get convoluted tracking down older decks with multiple editions especially because sellers often use whatever stock photo they can find and/or mislabel decks/books.