Please help me decide between these three decks..

BeyondtheVeil

Please help me decide between these decks..

EDITED TO ADD- I decided to go ahead and order both decks! They sound good in their own ways. Thank you all who helped and responded to my thread! :heart:

I am wanting a new tarot deck, but not sure which one I would like best. I like a deck that is both positive and negative...no all positive, fluffy bunny stuff that isn't real in life. I don't like creepy, super depressing stuff either. :) lol

So.. IF YOU OWN ONE OR BOTH OF THESE....what can you tell me about these decks..

EVERYDAY WITCH TAROT

and

BONEFIRE TAROT

I'm wanting to know the good, bad, and the ugly. :) What you like about them .. what you don't...etc? Also how do they read? Are they too cheery... too negative... boring...etc?

I would like to keep this to opinions of people who actually own the decks please! :)

Thanks in advance!

BeyondtheVeil

I removed Triple Goddess Tarot as that is not what I am wanting. Thanks everyone!

JylliM

Out of the three, I own the Bonefire (self published edition). I'd thoroughly recommend it as a well balanced deck, which isn't 'themey', and therefore a good one for every situation. The images include lots of details which jump out at just the right moment to give an aha moment of recognition. It's also very appealing visually. It's RWS-based, and the mass market one comes with a book which I am sure is very well written. Gabi (wooden-eye on the forum), the artist, also writes very well.

Le Fanu

I'd go for the Bonefire - I think finding someone who has all three might be more difficult. I can only recommend one. But the Bonefire has a great vibe - colourful and energetic and readable. A good quality set.

Sassyinkpen

I have the Everyday Witch Tarot, and I really love it - however, this one may lean toward the light and positive side more than you would like.

It's not completely fluffy bunny, but it does tend to put a somewhat positive spin on the cards. The art it pretty light hearted and leans toward humerous - I'm sure you've seen some of the images.

Things I like about it are the down-to-earth vibe it has, and the way it's been geared to resonate with modern, ordinary life (The Hierophant is a yoga teacher).

BeyondtheVeil

Out of the three, I own the Bonefire (self published edition). I'd thoroughly recommend it as a well balanced deck, which isn't 'themey', and therefore a good one for every situation. The images include lots of details which jump out at just the right moment to give an aha moment of recognition. It's also very appealing visually. It's RWS-based, and the mass market one comes with a book which I am sure is very well written. Gabi (wooden-eye on the forum), the artist, also writes very well.

Yes, I have been really drawn to this deck. I don't have any tattoos, but there is just something about this deck that has a strong draw for me. It is just so rich in colours and details.

Thank you for taking the time out to respond! This deck is sounding just like what I am interested in. :thumbsup:

Do you know where I can see a photo of The Devil Card and The Death cards?

I wish I could see more from this deck.

I'd go for the Bonefire - I think finding someone who has all three might be more difficult. I can only recommend one. But the Bonefire has a great vibe - colourful and energetic and readable. A good quality set.

I miswrote my post. I was hoping people that owned any of them would chime in to let me know their experiences with whatever deck they owned.

I think the Bonefire is such a great looking deck! Thank you for responding and letting me know your thoughts about it's energy and how readable it is. I think this is one that I definitely am very interested in.

Brightest Blessings! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

I have the Everyday Witch Tarot, and I really love it - however, this one may lean toward the light and positive side more than you would like.

It's not completely fluffy bunny, but it does tend to put a somewhat positive spin on the cards. The art it pretty light hearted and leans toward humerous - I'm sure you've seen some of the images.

Things I like about it are the down-to-earth vibe it has, and the way it's been geared to resonate with modern, ordinary life (The Hierophant is a yoga teacher).

Hi Sassyinkpen!

Thank you for responding!

I don't mind positive spins on some things... I just don't like when it is all positive giving false hope where there is none. If that makes sense.

I really do like the cards that I have seen so far. I'm just wondering how it will read say.. I like this guy but he isn't ever going to like me back. Will the cards say that or will they be like.. Stay positive .. the future isn't set, etc. lol

Thanks for responding and helping me decide on new tarot decks!

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

Carojulie

Hello,

I have both the Bonefire and the everyday Witch. Both are RWS inspired and read very easily. Neither is dark.
I cannot talk for the Triple Goddess that I do not have.

The Everyday Witch I like for its lightness and sense of humour, and for the style of art and the way the characters are represented (funny witches of both gender, in pointy hats and striped pants, with many cats around). To me it is a nice change from the more conventionnal way witches are often represented these days, with floating robes and zen faces (I have nothing against that, I like it also ; I just welcome the change and the second degree humour of the pointy hat witch)
It is what I call a theme deck, and for that reason I would probably not choose it as my only deck if I had only one. The strong theme makes it great for readings when you are in the mood for young fun witches, but it is not a "generic" deck that will please all querents in all situations.
This deck reads very well, and, despite its general joyous illustrations, it can give a balanced reading, though it might lean a tad toward "optimistic" rather than purely neutral - but that depends also on the reader.
The cardstock is mediocre (not the worst, but certainly not very good - this deck I like "despite" its cardstock, not because of it like other decks). It is flimsly IMO, but some people will appreciate that because it will make it easier to riffle shuffle.

The Bonefire I love for the art, wich is beautiful in its own right. I have the mass marketed Schiffer edition.
It is a very balanced deck, that does not try to sugar coat the tough cards ; in that regard it might be more balanced than the Everyday Witch.
Despite the style of the art that is very stamped "tatoo-like", the deck itself is not themed, and in that sense it can more easily lend itself to all kind of situations and querents.
But, it is also very conventional in its interpretation (which is a good thing, just that I like diversity so I would not like to have only this deck to choose from). It is a "serious" deck, and despite the love I have for its art, it has happened in the past that I have found this deck just a tad slightly boring (sorry, boring is too strong a word....I do not know how to say that. What I mean is, this deck is very "reliable", wich of course is a good thing. But, sometimes I like an unexpected thrill....)
Also, the Bonefire cardstock is much thicker (I am only speaking for the Shiffer version here) than the Everyday Witches. The Bonefire cardstock is good but not the best (a little too shiny, not slippery enough) but it gives an impression of good quality, and at least it seems sturdy enough to stand the test of time (hopefully, because in that regard, cardstock can give you good or bad surprises). Cards are large and cardstock a little too thick for riffle shuffling with average hands, but that is very personal. I do not like to riffle shuffle my tarot decks, so I like this sturdy cardstock better than the flimsy kind.

Both decks do not show a lot of diversity when it comes to human representations.
I like that the Everyday Witch show witches of both genders, and I appreciate very much that the Bonefire occasionaly show same sex couples ; plus, in the Bonefire, you also see some variety in skin color (not much, but still)
But, both decks show characters that are young, thin, and conventionaly beautiful. It might be an issue for some people, or not at all for other people. Once again, it might also depend if that will be your only, main deck, or part of a wider collection.

If I were to choose only one deck between those two, the Bonefire would be my choice for its ability to cover most situations and moods. It is a more "serious" deck than the other one.
But I am glad that I have other decks in my collection and I am glad to have the Everyday Witch for its perky joyous humour.

I hope that helps you !

Alta

I only own the Bonefire and have used it a lot. I have the self published edition so I don't own the expanded book and have just gone my own way with the images.

Despite the rather 'gaudy' art style, the deck actually seems to speak to everyday feelings and actions. I think that is why I like it so much. No swirly ladies or deities or occult figures. Rather it strikes me as everyday people but looking underneath their masks.

I have never handled or even researched either of the others.

BeyondtheVeil

Thank you, Carojulie!

Hello,

I have both the Bonefire and the everyday Witch. Both are RWS inspired and read very easily. Neither is dark.
I cannot talk for the Triple Goddess that I do not have.

The Everyday Witch I like for its lightness and sense of humour, and for the style of art and the way the characters are represented (funny witches of both gender, in pointy hats and striped pants, with many cats around). To me it is a nice change from the more conventionnal way witches are often represented these days, with floating robes and zen faces (I have nothing against that, I like it also ; I just welcome the change and the second degree humour of the pointy hat witch)
It is what I call a theme deck, and for that reason I would probably not choose it as my only deck if I had only one. The strong theme makes it great for readings when you are in the mood for young fun witches, but it is not a "generic" deck that will please all querents in all situations.
This deck reads very well, and, despite its general joyous illustrations, it can give a balanced reading, though it might lean a tad toward "optimistic" rather than purely neutral - but that depends also on the reader.
The cardstock is mediocre (not the worst, but certainly not very good - this deck I like "despite" its cardstock, not because of it like other decks). It is flimsly IMO, but some people will appreciate that because it will make it easier to riffle shuffle.

The Bonefire I love for the art, wich is beautiful in its own right. I have the mass marketed Schiffer edition.
It is a very balanced deck, that does not try to sugar coat the tough cards ; in that regard it might be more balanced than the Everyday Witch.
Despite the style of the art that is very stamped "tatoo-like", the deck itself is not themed, and in that sense it can more easily lend itself to all kind of situations and querents.
But, it is also very conventional in its interpretation (which is a good thing, just that I like diversity so I would not like to have only this deck to choose from). It is a "serious" deck, and despite the love I have for its art, it has happened in the past that I have found this deck just a tad slightly boring (sorry, boring is too strong a word....I do not know how to say that. What I mean is, this deck is very "reliable", wich of course is a good thing. But, sometimes I like an unexpected thrill....)
Also, the Bonefire cardstock is much thicker (I am only speaking for the Shiffer version here) than the Everyday Witches. The Bonefire cardstock is good but not the best (a little too shiny, not slippery enough) but it gives an impression of good quality, and at least it seems sturdy enough to stand the test of time (hopefully, because in that regard, cardstock can give you good or bad surprises). Cards are large and cardstock a little too thick for riffle shuffling with average hands, but that is very personal. I do not like to riffle shuffle my tarot decks, so I like this sturdy cardstock better than the flimsy kind.

Both decks do not show a lot of diversity when it comes to human representations.
I like that the Everyday Witch show witches of both genders, and I appreciate very much that the Bonefire occasionaly show same sex couples ; plus, in the Bonefire, you also see some variety in skin color (not much, but still)
But, both decks show characters that are young, thin, and conventionaly beautiful. It might be an issue for some people, or not at all for other people. Once again, it might also depend if that will be your only, main deck, or part of a wider collection.

If I were to choose only one deck between those two, the Bonefire would be my choice for its ability to cover most situations and moods. It is a more "serious" deck than the other one.
But I am glad that I have other decks in my collection and I am glad to have the Everyday Witch for its perky joyous humour.

I hope that helps you !

Wow! It helps A LOT! Thank you Sweetie! I so appreciate the time you took to explain it. You definitely covered the finer qualities that I am interested in. The cardstock is important as it needs to be able to last for multiple readings. {If one likes reading with said deck].

I am looking for a more serious deck, but also not opposed to the lighter decks. I just don't want something unrealistically positive about everything. If you know what I mean.

I have other decks, but I am in search of a couple new decks to read from. I guess I have somewhat turned into a collector as I haven't gotten rid of the decks that I don't currently read with. I'm wanting to get back into doing more readings and finding several working decks for me is my goal. I think that is why I was looking at 3.. to try and figure out which ones fit which category. I haven't purchased a new tarot deck in awhile. Probably years actually.

So, thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge of The Everyday Witch Tarot and The Bonefire deck! I was looking at the mass market production of the Bonefire as I guess I didn't realize there was any other kind.

When you said the cards are larger on the Bonefire.. did you mean they are huge like Oracle Cards or the DruidCraft Tarot? Or more along the lines of just being a bit larger than normal sized tarot decks? I wish creators would stay away from the huge size oracle decks as they are super hard to handle.

Again, thank you so much for all of your help and for explaining in detail about the decks. {{HUGS}}

Brightest Blessings to you love! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Alta

I only own the Bonefire and have used it a lot. I have the self published edition so I don't own the expanded book and have just gone my own way with the images.

Despite the rather 'gaudy' art style, the deck actually seems to speak to everyday feelings and actions. I think that is why I like it so much. No swirly ladies or deities or occult figures. Rather it strikes me as everyday people but looking underneath their masks.

I have never handled or even researched either of the others.

Thank you Alta for sharing your experience with the Bonefire Tarot! I guess the mass market is the one that comes with the book? That is what I am looking to buy as I didn't realize it came any other way.

It sounds like the Bonefire is the type of deck that I am looking for. I am drawn to it and the way that you describe reading with it is what I am looking for.

I was looking up a deck and saw the "New Decks Available" so that is how I found these three. lol

Thank you for taking the time out to respond and share your knowledge of the Bonefire! {{HUGS}}

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil