Golden Tarot of the Renaissance/Estensi

myrrhmyrrh

Does anyone read with this deck?

I'm not an old tarot hand tho not an absolute noob and I love this deck, am even quite attached to it, but I am a bit at sea as to how to interpret it. Its images rarely, if ever, match up with the RWS system or even suit/number systems that I can make out. I don't want to give this deck up for a pretty on my shelves, I want to keep using it. I've had some good results with it in which I kind of go free-form with some RWS thrown in for good measure.

What do you do? Free form? Old School traditional Italian fortune telling? another system?

I think I'm going to face this problem a lot because the decks I'm drawn to are the pre-Golden Dawn, Minchiate, Sola Busca, etc. so I could use some advice.

ps If I don't answer immediately it's that I'm not getting my notifications

Barleywine

If this is the one I'm thinking of, I have it on my wish-list but the consensus here is that the 2 of Wands "castrated man" card is a deal-breaker for many, and the 8 of Swords "execution" card isn't far behind. I'll be interested to see what current opinion is among those who own and use it.

To answer your question, I don't read with my historical decks much (other than the TdM), but I'm buying the Mystical Tarot, which looks kike a re-imagining of the Sola Busca in a livelier style, with less of the "fly-in-amber" quality that some "art" decks convey. That may change my mind.

myrrhmyrrh

yes, that's the one... I don't mind the strong images, even for negative, if I were more confident and I've lost the LWB- which I've heard is not very helpful anyway.

I'll take a peek at the Mystical Tarot, now I'm curious

myrrhmyrrh

The Mystical is lovely, Barleywine and might be a nice compromise for someone in love with the old Italian decks but needful of the supporting system of RWS.

Spiffo

The 9 of Swords always gives me pause for thought.
And that Fool could do with some manscaping.

I've not read with it, but do like it as an attempt to 'complete' an otherwise partial deck.

I don't wonder if you did some reading on Ferrara and the 15 th Century Italy in general it might help you come to grips with it.

May I also suggest Ronald Decker's book The Esoteric Tarot, Quest Books, USA, 2013. He does a fine job of exploring Tarot through history, and this book in particular looks, in part, at the Tarot in Italy. It's one of the few books in English which looks at the variety of Italian decks in a comparative way.

Perhaps some of the other TdM books may be of use too. I also wonder if you've read Yoav Ben-Dov's The Open Reading, or maybe even Enrique Enriquez's Tarology.

Given you have a strong connection with the deck it would be a shame to tuck it away because it doesn't match up with the all pervasive RWS 'system'. It's only one system in a myriad of systems. Plus your own oracular voice should be your ultimate guide.

And thanks for reminding me I had this deck, albeit tucked away. I've got it out, with sunglasses on, for a good browse. Ooh that 2 of Wands is, um, very, yes.

Barleywine

The Mystical is lovely, Barleywine and might be a nice compromise for someone in love with the old Italian decks but needful of the supporting system of RWS.

I learned with the non-RWS Thoth and used it exclusively for over 40 years, so that wouldn't necessarily be a draw for me. What I like about the Mystical is the sense of movement I get from many of the images, and the naturalistic handling of the background skies.

myrrhmyrrh

The 9 of Swords always gives me pause for thought.
And that Fool could do with some manscaping.

I've not read with it, but do like it as an attempt to 'complete' an otherwise partial deck.

I don't wonder if you did some reading on Ferrara and the 15 th Century Italy in general it might help you come to grips with it.

May I also suggest Ronald Decker's book The Esoteric Tarot, Quest Books, USA, 2013. He does a fine job of exploring Tarot through history, and this book in particular looks, in part, at the Tarot in Italy. It's one of the few books in English which looks at the variety of Italian decks in a comparative way.

Perhaps some of the other TdM books may be of use too. I also wonder if you've read Yoav Ben-Dov's The Open Reading, or maybe even Enrique Enriquez's Tarology.

Given you have a strong connection with the deck it would be a shame to tuck it away because it doesn't match up with the all pervasive RWS 'system'. It's only one system in a myriad of systems. Plus your own oracular voice should be your ultimate guide.

And thanks for reminding me I had this deck, albeit tucked away. I've got it out, with sunglasses on, for a good browse. Ooh that 2 of Wands is, um, very, yes.

Hi Spiffo,

I don't know the books you mention but will put them now on my wish list.

I am working through some Mary Greer who wants you to be able to free yourself from rigid by the book definitions and read in a personal way so maybe I'll get there.

I do have a doctorate in Italian medieval and Renaissance art so I have read a great deal on the culture and mentality, and this is one of the reasons I love this Schifanoia based deck, with Aby Warburg as a kind of tutelary figure haunting anything to do with Schifanoia.

I just don't trust myself enough to go entirely free form and simply read from the heart as the image speaks. And these images do, um, yes, speak.

myrrhmyrrh

QUOTE]

I'm also a taker for any recommendation in Italian or French as well, thank you again for your recommendations

AnemoneRosie

I use it as a sort of intuitive oracle.

Spiffo

QUOTE]

I'm also a taker for any recommendation in Italian or French as well, thank you again for your recommendations

Had I been a bit more observant I'd have seen you're based in France. Do please excuse my Anglo-centric bias. Oh gosh and your background/studies in Art must be a huge help. And oh yes yes yes, Greer is wonderful about getting one to think outside the box and to develop a trust in your own oracular voice. I often envy the purely intuitive readers who seem not to be so bound up in the doctrine. X