Golden Tarot of the Renaissance/Estensi

AnemoneRosie

I often envy the purely intuitive readers who seem not to be so bound up in the doctrine. X

I sometimes read this way, although I find that because I started learning on playing cards that starts to creep in. I can go on a bit about how to read like that if you like, although I'm not a wild fan of it.

Spiffo

I sometimes read this way, although I find that because I started learning on playing cards that starts to creep in. I can go on a bit about how to read like that if you like, although I'm not a wild fan of it.

I've been reading through some of the older threads about intuitive reading, and find it quite fascinating. I've tended toward a Thothy approach, and find it somewhat difficult to not incorporate the Astro-Kabbalah-Numerological 'stuff' into my readings. Surprisingly it's the Tabula Mundi deck (that is a Thoth descendant and so much more) that is giving me a chance to explore the intuitive side a bit more.

I'd be fascinated at your observations, suggestions, and cautionary words. I'm also envious of those that can pick up a standard pack of playing cards and conduct a reading.

myrrhmyrrh

I use it as a sort of intuitive oracle.

I wonder about doing the same- did you ever even try to read for others with it or intend to? or from the get go did you just know that this was for personal extra curricular use?

myrrhmyrrh

Had I been a bit more observant I'd have seen you're based in France. Do please excuse my Anglo-centric bias. Oh gosh and your background/studies in Art must be a huge help. And oh yes yes yes, Greer is wonderful about getting one to think outside the box and to develop a trust in your own oracular voice. I often envy the purely intuitive readers who seem not to be so bound up in the doctrine. X

Not at all, I often miss these bits and pieces myself, but I appreciate what you did suggest. The art studies are both a blessing and a curse. Entering an image, understanding its symbols, detail, composition on the plus side, the cons being a need to document, source, analyze, footnote, everything and a rational bias to boot.

I would like to get to a point where I could just purely go with the image, to find a way to give myself that permission but old lessons die hard.

AnemoneRosie

I wonder about doing the same- did you ever even try to read for others with it or intend to? or from the get go did you just know that this was for personal extra curricular use?

I got it for me; I originally got into Tarot because I was obsessed with the transition from the Medieval period into Renaissance, and so I discovered the VS. And then that you can still own a copy of the VS! So, despite the fact that I'd been given the RWS for reading playing cards (on the logic of "if you like reading those, then you'll love this!") I never really embraced Tarot for Tarot, as much as for the art.

I would never bring this deck along with me to read for others. This is partly because I do themes (I will use Housewives for a Bachlorette party, or Dame Darcy's Mermaid for a beach party) and I cannot find a theme that involves castration and hairy men unless it was dirty hippies? But they might also appreciate the Joie de Vivre.

So I got this deck for me because I like the historical portion of the deck.

As for reading it intuitively, in essence let the pictures tell the story. If you see someone lying under a tree, then maybe they need a nap, or to connect with nature. If they're bleeding all over the place while doing so (thank you two of wands) then chances are that they've been hurt, and need a space to heal. Which has nothing to do with the two of wands, nor even the 2:club: But we're not reading that way. We're reading intuitively. Which is why I can't separate it from playing cards, and might say that they're having a form of writer's block (or whatever their passion of choice is) since that's a form of pain, and that they need to go outside for inspiration. Does that make sense?

myrrhmyrrh

I got it for me; I originally got into Tarot because I was obsessed with the transition from the Medieval period into Renaissance, and so I discovered the VS. And then that you can still own a copy of the VS! So, despite the fact that I'd been given the RWS for reading playing cards (on the logic of "if you like reading those, then you'll love this!") I never really embraced Tarot for Tarot, as much as for the art.

I would never bring this deck along with me to read for others. This is partly because I do themes (I will use Housewives for a Bachlorette party, or Dame Darcy's Mermaid for a beach party) and I cannot find a theme that involves castration and hairy men unless it was dirty hippies? But they might also appreciate the Joie de Vivre.

So I got this deck for me because I like the historical portion of the deck.

As for reading it intuitively, in essence let the pictures tell the story. If you see someone lying under a tree, then maybe they need a nap, or to connect with nature. If they're bleeding all over the place while doing so (thank you two of wands) then chances are that they've been hurt, and need a space to heal. Which has nothing to do with the two of wands, nor even the 2:club: But we're not reading that way. We're reading intuitively. Which is why I can't separate it from playing cards, and might say that they're having a form of writer's block (or whatever their passion of choice is) since that's a form of pain, and that they need to go outside for inspiration. Does that make sense?

Now I absolutely HAVE to know what the VS is!!!

But that is how I mostly try to read with this deck - for instance the 6 of coins, I believe it is has a man with griffin feet who seems unconscious of the coins falling out of his purse. When I pulled this for a friend I just went with it and asked if he had lost money - and indeed he had the week before been pickpocketed when he was sick-drunk.

Later too I found out that griffin feet were used as an antipoison which also seemed appropriate.

AnemoneRosie

Then you read it intuitively, or my understanding of it anyway. There's a man on youtube who does what he calls Tarot movies; it's a way of practicing weaving the cards into a story. That's basically all there is to it - which is why you then end up with people like DV taking that one step further and writing their own keywords on their Tarot.

The VS is the Visconti-Sforza.

myrrhmyrrh

Oh yes, I do have the VS just didn't know the abbreviation.

I will look for the man on you tube with his tarot movies- sounds fun!

Spiffo

I have an image of a horde of hairy hippies all demanding a reading.

Where I'm at with my readings is somewhere between seeing all the doctrinal information (the element, the decan or sign, planetary ruler ship, Kabbalah etc.) and then the actual image. A deck like this clearly has a conflict with that doctrine that I've spent years internalising versus my desire to let my intuition run wild. I know some would suggest that blend is fine, but gosh I'd like to be able to temporarily remove it from my mind and just see the image-art. Actually until this thread I'd never realised that's where my dilemma lies.