Which deck is this recoloured PCS Hanged Man from?

RichardG

A nerdy question, I know.... but I haven't seen PCS's The Hanged Man wearing a brown tunic before (please see the attachment)
Maybe it's just been 'enhanced' for the cover of the book....but....maybe there's a recoloured PCS deck out there that I don't know about yet!

I checked all the usual suspects - Albano Waite, University Press, even the much maligned Adam Frontreras 'Traditional Reinterpreted' deck - but no brown tunic to be seen anywhere! (I notice there's no Pam signature either)
Bill Butler's book "Dictionary of the Tarot" was fist published in 1975 - so the image of the card has to be from before then...
The book is available to browse at openlibrary.org, but there's no mention of where the image on the front cover comes from....

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Richard.

Attachments

• Mystery Hanged Man.jpg
    Mystery Hanged Man.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 230

gregory

I own the book, so I had to get it out...

It says "Cover design by Ivan Paslavsky".

Googling him - he's dead. But there are posters of his work to be had, from the 60s, so the time line is right.

The font is very different from any other repro I know, too - I would guess he put it together for the occasion ? There are loads of images from various decks in the book, and no note about copyright permissions...

RichardG

Gregory to the rescue!

Clearly, I was having a 'boy look' Gregory, because I just couldn't find the 'Cover Design By..' note anywhere :laugh:

Now I'll just admire Ivan's brown tunicked Hanged Man for the one-off that it is. :thumbsup:

And be thankful that he didn't plonk a ©1975 Paslavsky Inc up the side of the image...:smoker:

R.

gregory

It's tiny print on the back :) Bottom left.