Is froud Sexist

cheekyminx

I don't have a creative bone in my body, so I'll let LB design a card just for me ;) I like them tall, blonde or light brown hair, blue or green eyes :D Just use a leaf to cover his crown jewels. Thanks :p

Grip Dellabonte

I don't know if anybody has already touched on this (so to speak) but...I used to work in a massage training school, and while the majority of women who came in for massages were indifferent about getting a male or female student - they mainly wanted a decent massage - the men generally did have a preference. The first reason is obvious, maybe...they wanted to be massaged by a woman student. But the other reason very often was because the idea of having a male student massage them sort of creeped them out.
Maybe Brian Froud just likes painting female faeries because he likes the female form, but he's not as comfortable drawing males.
Jus a thought...

Rosanne

Hi Caridwen! I took a careful look at my Froud- because I had really never considered the question before. 51 Cards have no nudity except a couple of bare chests. There are 15 cards with naked and semi naked bodies. The women are all shapes and sizes. The most sexually overt is Sylvanius I think, but not offensive. The only card with gratuitous nudity is Nelys the Alchemyst- her bottom need not have been bare :D I think if sexist it is to the male detriment, as all males seem distorted in someway- the females exude perfection. There is only one card with one detail that makes me go ouch! It is on Card 16 The Bright Mother where the male figure is looking with malevolent gaze upon the baby on the crystal ball. That is the only card I have any objection to. It all seems fitting- whereas I am not fond of the Gilded for the the question you asked- I find that deck covert. I like the deck (Froud), but my readings were always bitter when I used it so I put it away. ~Rosanne

room

cheekyminx said:
How could I forget Solus. But he isn't showing me much skin ;) He does have lovely features though :D

Oooh Solus, just BURNS sexuality and a penetrating mind. Very hot, doesn't need to be naked, he shimmers nudity in his mind.

Where is my fan. . . .

room

Little Baron said:
I don't think that anyone sitting there with their legs wide open and everything on show looks particularly good, male or female. Some modern photographers do this, but I think it more for shock value.

Or to garner attention, mistakenly fancying themselves iconoclasts and rebels. ;)

MysticalMoose

LB made me laugh too. I just had to get the deck out to have a look at these dirty little gnomes! :laugh: I think this is a beautiful deck & dont think there is anything wrong with bums & boobs they are part of the fae female form as they are ours.....I agree about Solus...hubba hubba ;)

Jewel

cheekyminx said:
I don't have a creative bone in my body, so I'll let LB design a card just for me ;) I like them tall, blonde or light brown hair, blue or green eyes :D Just use a leaf to cover his crown jewels. Thanks :p
Then you don't need the Froud deck, what you need is the Tarot of the Athennium *ROFLMAO* ...

So seriously, I have read almost all of this thread and have thouroughly enjoyed it and laughed my butt off. Trying to fit the fae into human societal norms and having them live up to our taboos will just never work. As humans we have a tendency to judge everything by our own sense of right/wrong and decent/indescent ... faerie is a different realm, our rules do not apply. I think the fae appear naked simply to emphasize that!

I do not think Froud is sexist in any manner, I think he paints what he sees they way he sees and senses it. And from what I have read we all agree he is not sexist.

Souls ....... mmmmmmmmm ...... that penetrating gaze is raw nakedness and sexuality. The Glanconner is another one,dark but sexy - temptation personified. Sylvannius has be great big sword *LOL*. Look not only for primary characters on the cards, but also those hidden ones. The cards are FULL of fae images.

Little Hare

Jewel said:
So seriously, I have read almost all of this thread and have thouroughly enjoyed it and laughed my butt off. Trying to fit the fae into human societal norms and having them live up to our taboos will just never work. As humans we have a tendency to judge everything by our own sense of right/wrong and decent/indescent ... faerie is a different realm, our rules do not apply. I think the fae appear naked simply to emphasize that!

Beautifully put Jewel

10 Kuduos :D

:heart: