Decans

Scion

I guess the question is (and this convo may belong in a separate thread) what's the reason for the curiosity? Is it for studying the Decans, for getting a handle on magickal history, is it theoretical or is it cause you want to summon something? It's a MASSIVE topic and the material runs the gamut. Specifyign the goal a buit will help enormously.

AW, why don't you start a thread on the topic (though what subforum I don't know, again that depends on purpose) and we can discuss there so others can participate in the convo... I'd love to recommend some books.

Always Wondering

I've been intrigued by the lastes Liber T threads. My interest is in the Decans, for now, which seems related to magical history.
Sorry if I got off topic. Just had an intresting forray in the world of google.

But I'm grounded again. :laugh:

AW

ravenest

Glad its bumped. Finished your post prod S? I've been patiently waiting.

I notice the old question has arisen in astro forum again ... but I wont be discussing things there again!

Anyway, this decan thing... it seems to me that stars were used in early astrology. A star had an influence, or perhaps I should say; a deamon had an influence and deamons related to many things, including stars.

Anyway, as was pointed out in the astro forum some time ago (to discredit my ideas?) 'signs' were considered to be like orange segments and included all that space up to the north pole (they said both poles but I doubt back then there was much knowledge of the south pole), ie. a 'sign' did not include just the band of the ecliptic (note; band - not path) but all space enclosed within that segment. That is why in old charts a particular star may be given as X degrees Cancer (for example) but that star may be several constellations 'above' the constellation of Cancer.

For me this gives the idea (outlined in above posts) that the signs themselves (as conglomerations of the decans) were given a certain influence which is a multiple of the 3 decans making it up, yet the decans themselves seem to to be doing the same, that is, it isnt the decan that has an influence but a star in that segment, even though the star may not be anywhere near the ecliptic, even up near the pole. If one draws a line from the star to the ecliptic (so it crosses the ecliptic at 90 deg.) that stars infleunce will be combined with any planets or planetary aspect in relation to the point that the lines cross.

IMO it all came about by the influence of stars (as I stated orignally sooooooo long ago that astrology was SUPPOSED to be about the study of stars moving and FIXED).

So then, it isnt so much that Virgo influences us because that aspect of the sky has an infleunce, nor that a specific decan of Virgo influences us, again, because that smaller part of the sky influences us (the decan). But if planetary aspects relate to, say, Spica, then that would have been seen as the influence.

But then again I have been called all sorts of names by astrologers be even suggesting that fixed stars have an influence.

Oh - hum!

I'd really like to get my hands on some more Ficino - he had it down I reckon.

ravenest

oooooooooopps

ravenest

Always Wondering said:
Can you nudge me toward something akin to "natural daemonic magic for dummies"? :|
Funky is good.

AW

I was trying to answer this question by linking you to a post I wrote in spirituality SOMEWHERE ... you think I can find it? NUP!

I have it on my mini drive if you want it via PM. It's called;

HEAVEN & HELL.
(A Psycho-magical Exploration of Angelic and Demonic Possession.) .

Buggered if I can find it here though .... maybe its mysteriously disappeared?
(insert Twilight Zone theme music)

sapienza

I have a question that's probably on a slightly different tangent but part of the reason I started this thread. If we are considering decans as they relate to tarot and therefore the associations made by the Golden Dawn, then what I want to know is WHY the particular decans were associated with each card. Now I get the Chaldean order of the planets and it makes sense to me that that system was used. What I find more puzzling is why the order was started where it was as opposed to in any other place. Is it just an arbitrary system? Does it matter? I guess at the end of it all I'm wanting to feel like there is some authentic, meaningful reason for the connection between number card and decan. Maybe there isn's any?

Always Wondering

ravenest said:
I was trying to answer this question by linking you to a post I wrote in spirituality SOMEWHERE ... you think I can find it? NUP!

I have it on my mini drive if you want it via PM. It's called;

HEAVEN & HELL.
(A Psycho-magical Exploration of Angelic and Demonic Possession.) .

Buggered if I can find it here though .... maybe its mysteriously disappeared?
(insert Twilight Zone theme music)

You big tease. Now I will have to PM you. :laugh:

Oh, there are several of Finco's works online.
If you can read Latin. :p

AW

Abrac

sapienza, Duquette says 0° Leo is supposed to be the traditional start of the Chaldean year. Is that what you mean?

sapienza

Yes, thanks Abrac. What I guess I'm wondering is WHY 0 degrees Leo is the start of the Chaldean year and not 0 degrees Aries? Sorry I don't have the info to hand but from memory isn't there a double up somewhere where Mars is in two decans beside each other? I guess I'd feel more comfortable knowing there was some solid reason for starting off in Leo and that it wasn't just an arbitrary choice. Maybe it doesn't really matter. Sometimes when I wade into this stuff I feel like I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about :)