Reading pips: the Pips-as-Trumps method

Lee

Maybe a silly question.
I'm starting to read pips with no book, which I am finding difficult, as I usually get blocked and have no idea about what the card meand. :(
I'm trying to learn the number associations, and for the number 10 you gave the keyword "adaptation".
Why?
The 10 can be the maximum expression of the suit, the consecution, son the 10 of coins would mean success related to the terrenal matters, abundance. Why adaptation?
Hi ivanna,

Thanks for the question!

You're quite correct, many people read with TdM pips by considering their numerological meanings. Numerological meanings of course can vary between different authors/readers quite a bit, but many do ascribe "maximum expression" or "success" to the number 10.

However, in this particular thread I'm exploring the method (which I did not by any means invent) of using the tarot trumps (Major Arcana) to inspire meanings for the pip numbers.

The 10 in the tarot trumps is the Wheel of Fortune. Many people see the Wheel of Fortune as indicating a change in circumstances. Additionally, when I came up with my particular implementation of this system, I decided to focus on potential thoughts, feelings, actions, and reactions, because many feel that the pip cards should represent everyday human states and interactions, as opposed to the archetypal energies of the trumps.

So, when it came to the 10, I looked at the Wheel of Fortune and thought of changes in circumstances. How do people react to changes in circumstances? They (hopefully) adapt in some way. Thus, "Adapt."

So then I thought about different ways of adapting, and came up with the 10s according to each suit's energy:

10 of Wands: Circumstances cause a change in plans (because Wands indicates plans and initiatives)

10 of Cups: Circumstances change feelings or relationships - a change of heart (because Cups indicates feelings)

10 of Swords: Circumstances cause you to change your mind (because Swords is the "mental" suit)

10 of Coins: Circumstances cause a change in physical surroundings/finances/value system (because Coins refers to the physical world and value systems)

So, in this system, the standard numerological meaning of 10 as "success" or "maximum expression" really isn't relevant, because we're taking our inspiration from the tarot trumps, not numerological meanings.

Please note I'm not particularly advocating for these particular keywords (although if you use them, you may find that you like them!), but rather I'm encouraging people to think about possible pip-to-trump correlations of their own and work out their own keywords for the pip cards as I describe in my first post in this thread.

I hope that helps clear things up -- please let me know if not!

Cheers,
Lee

ivanna

Hi Lee,
Thank you so much for your answer. I forgot the main thing, that is based on the correspondence with the majors. So sorry.
I agree with all the other correspondences, from 1 to 9, but with the 10, well, I can not say anything. Is a new different point of view for me and I will have to try it.
Now I am reading the Yoav Ben Dov book, and the 10 meanings are different from yours, and different from the RWS, and probably I will get mad one of those days. LOL
:D
Will your book be reprinted in the future? I would be very happy to get a copy.
Thanks again.

Lee

Will your book be reprinted in the future? I would be very happy to get a copy.
Thanks again.
I've been trying to get in touch with Lo Scarabeo, so far without success. I'll keep trying.

3ill.yazi

I saw a copy the other day, but does it only deal with majors?

Lee

I saw a copy the other day, but does it only deal with majors?
It doesn't list specific meanings for each pip card, but it does have extensive and in-depth material on how to arrive at your own meanings for the pips using a suit+number methodology. The section on the trumps covers suggested meanings based on historical iconography.

Pam O

I sometimes use the pip-trump method, but use trumps XI-XX for the reversed pips. And I think there CAN be a connection between the two (some of which can be very thought-provoking, almost as if they are meant to be connected):

I (Magician) and XI (Strength) - mental strength and physical strength, mind over matter/matter over mind etc
II and XII - knowledge and ignorance
III and XIII - life and death
IV and XIV - rigidity and fluidity
V and XV - speaks for itself!
VI and XVI - union and break-up
VII and XVII - war and peace
VIII and XVIII - clarity and confusion
IX and XIX - introvert and extrovert
X and XX - life's uncertainties and life choices

The Fool and World are special and stand alone. Not sure about how the courts play into this, but I do like the idea of it being a self-contained system and not reliant on 'outside' meanings (numerology, astrology etc).

I wanted to share that there is another study thread that these pairings really felt complementary to other posts, so I pasted this into post 23.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=224632

unravel101

I ordered it from the link and it arrived today but the book is in Italian. :/

Pam O

I ordered it from the link and it arrived today but the book is in Italian. :/

I ordered it from Lo Scarebo a few days ago, and they refunded my PayPal with no other info. (I had put a note in the Comment section of PayPal to confirm the book was in English.)

ETA: I emailed them. Here is their answer:

Dear Customer,
Tarot of Marseille set it’s only Italian edition.

Best regards

Jessica Laconca

Lo Scarabeo srl

3ill.yazi

I do wish there was some way to republish, get the rights to publsh elsewhere, or reissue this book. It is a gem in a fairly sparse field.