Best cardstock ?

Carojulie

I've said it before and I am glad to be given another opportunity to share: the Vachetta by Il Meneghello is the best on this whole planet! Really! It is like if you were shuffling whipped cream. I'm not even exagerating, try it! And if you don't have this deck, buy it! The cards are light, light as feather!

Woaw, whipped cream, that image speaks to me ! I will look into it, thank you for the tip !
Do you know if all decks from Il Meneghello have the same cardstock, or just the Vachetta ?

Carojulie

Cardstock is never a dealbreaker for me, but of course I do like nice cardstock!

My favorites are:
Fountain Tarot
Prisma Visions Tarot
Serpentfire Tarot

My all time favorite would be the cardstock of an oracle deck, the Animal Kin. :) It's amazing.

I prefer a bit of a thinner cardstock, and really liked the older Llewellyn cardstock (which I know many people disliked hehe), their new one is way too dry and cheap feeling! :(

I know a lot of people love thick cardstock, but I really dislike it. The Starchild Akashic, Wild Unknown first edition, and Lumina Tarot first edition, are all horrible and make my hands hurt. :( They seem luxurious, but to me they're not practical.

Yes, the Animal Kin ! I have this deck, it is very very beautiful - and gives beautiful readings ! And it is true that the cardstock is very special. A little thick but still manageable... like I love... and it gives this soft "shh-shh-shh" when moving the cards, wich I also love....
This cardstock almost seem plastiquy, but in a good way. It seems water resistant (though I will not wet my cards just to make sure !)
I know that plastic cardstock does exist for decks, and I was wondering if someone has tried it ?
I also have the Connected and Free oracle deck which cardstock is similar to the Animal Kin, but a tad thicker (all the better for me)

I understand what you say about the WU 1st edition is too thick for you and hurts your hands.
I know some people love this thick cardstock, and some people dont because too rigid, to hard, difficult to shuffle.... but I am in the first category, I love it !

PS : nothing to do with tarot decks, but I work with papers all the time in my professionnal life, and I know for a fact that keeping my hands well moisturised helps to reduce the occurence of paper cuts. Maybe it would help protect your hands from the decks that are hard on you ?

Carojulie

I really do not like the card stock of Fountain, Wild Unknown, Starchild etc. The deck needs lots of shuffling to break in, otherwise cards keep somewhat sticking together. Also the thick cardstock makes it a big package, which isn't easy to handle with my small hands. I see the paper is of great quality, but I just cannot work with it properly. I prefer Pagan Otherworlds: smooth, not too thick. Regular LoS stock works fine too.

Yes I see what you mean, this type of cardstock is really not the best for shuffling. It is no problem with me because I like to shuffle slowly and at length, and I love the luxury feeling of this type of thick and fine cardstock, but I see why many people do not like it for shuffling reasons.

Many of you commented on the quality of the Pagan Otherworlds. I have been looking at this deck for months, the art is so beautiful And now, through this thread, I learn that it has beautiful cardstock too ! That is what make a winner as far as I am concerned. But, getting it shipped to France is really costly.... It stays on my wish list for now !
Thanks everyone for sharing !

Carojulie

Pagan otherworlds card stock is amazing, it can survive been vomited on and the subsequent cleaning and disinfecting. Only two backs effected and a couple of fuzzy sides, otherwise, a perfect deck, well it was after a lot of incense.

LOL ! That is good to know ! I am glad you managed to save it !

FLizarraga

It's interesting, albeit predictable, to see how subjective this topic can be. Someone's trash is TRULY another one's treasure.

For moi, off the top of my head:

All time winner: Pagan Otherworlds

Second place: Marseille Sophistiqué

Third place: Bohemian Gothic 2nd ed

Honorable mention: Bohemian Gothic 1st ed (too flimsy, IMHO, but otherwise incredible to the touch)

Conversely, one of the very worst I have ever seen is the Efflorescent's. As much as I like this deck, I have not dared shuffling it yet, for fear that it might just disintegrate. I printed a couple of Greenwoods at Office Depot, and their stock was a lot better than this garbage.

FLizarraga

Pagan otherworlds card stock is amazing, it can survive been vomited on and the subsequent cleaning and disinfecting. Only two backs effected and a couple of fuzzy sides, otherwise, a perfect deck, well it was after a lot of incense.

Don't tell me you let your cat near it... :bugeyed:

Michellehihi

Woaw, whipped cream, that image speaks to me ! I will look into it, thank you for the tip !
Do you know if all decks from Il Meneghello have the same cardstock, or just the Vachetta ?

I have several if his decks but only the Vachetta is so special!
Try it and tell me!

Michellehihi

It's interesting, albeit predictable, to see how subjective this topic can be. Someone's trash is TRULY another one's treasure.

For moi, off the top of my head:

All time winner: Pagan Otherworlds

Second place: Marseille Sophistiqué

Third place: Bohemian Gothic 2nd ed

Honorable mention: Bohemian Gothic 1st ed (too flimsy, IMHO, but otherwise incredible to the touch)

Conversely, one of the very worst I have ever seen is the Efflorescent's. As much as I like this deck, I have not dared shuffling it yet, for fear that it might just disintegrate. I printed a couple of Greenwoods at Office Depot, and their stock was a lot better than this garbage.

Sorry Fliz but this Pagan otherworlds, in my view, has plain and boring plastic playing cards cardstock. Think Anna K self published....oooooooh. Think limited deluxe edition of the Legacy of the divine, that's something.
Even my beloved Granny Jones has crisp cardstosk.
I may sound harsh but I sold the the pagan otherworlds the very day I received it....not my thing.

FLizarraga

Sorry Fliz but this Pagan otherworlds, in my view, has plain and boring plastic playing cards cardstock. Think Anna K self published....oooooooh. Think limited deluxe edition of the Legacy of the divine, that's something.
Even my beloved Granny Jones has crisp cardstosk.
I may sound harsh but I sold the the pagan otherworlds the very day I received it....not my thing.

Like I said, one person's trash, etc. :)

I do agree on the self-published Anna K. Thick and just yummy. And I have sold marvelous decks as soon as I received them, too. The Isidore was one.

Don't tell me you let your cat near it... :bugeyed:

Who says it wasn't a rugrat? :p ;)

Even worse! 😳 😱