Robin Wood Tarot - 8 of Cups

spinningspider

Gap in Cups

Ocean Light said:
I tend to notice that gap on the top row where a cup should have been but isn't. It makes me wonder... was it never there to begin with? Maybe he's leaving to search for it- for something to complete him, so to speak. Or was it there before but now gone? (Possible with the arrangement of the cups and how the position is "in-between") If so, maybe he's searching for what he feels is missing.

Yes!! Excellent observation and something to ponder, Ocean Light! Thank you.

autumnsdaughter

I agree with all that has been said before, and have a couple of things to add to the discussion.

This card speaks to me of following instinct- the full moon is calling the man to follow his instincts, just as the autumn coolness calls the geese to journey south. The call of instinct is indisputable in this case, and there really isn't a choice to be made. One MUST go, or else suffer the sensation of stagnation.

He wears the red cloak of his passion- he feels deeply, and so he might be leaving to follow a dream, or to crusade for a cause. The feathers on his walking stick speak of the soul, so whatever his quest is, it will lead to soul growth. Even if it has material dimensions, the quest is a spiritual journey. The path with be rough and unforgiving, it will test him, there's no question of that. But there is also no question in his mind of whether to forge ahead. He is on the Grail Quest.

spinningspider

Oh! Beautiful insight, autumnsdaughter. So glad you've joined the Robin Wood Study Group!!

Ravenne

Hello!
I've just read this thread as I'm looking for a particular meaning of this card. I also work with Robin Wood.
I would like to add something. Autumsdaughter mentions that the moon is full on this card, but it is not; it's a crone's amulet: depicting both waning and full. The waning moon is far more prominent and the Full Moon is basically only a glow.
Waning Moon stands for letting go, release, banishing. Seeing the Full Moon fading out, could mean that that what was at it's peak, the fruits of what you had sown before, is decreasing, becoming less important, less fulfilling.
The Waning Moon is congruent with leaving that what you have behind, letting go of it, seeking new things.

At first this card meant to me what I've read here too: leaving and not coming back at all anymore.
Now I have a wider view on it, it also feels as if the person is (temporarily) turning away from the what he has to do soul searching. (In this sense having nothing do to with a relationship but with a person's self). So less focus on material things, the emphasis on soul searching. In this sense I see the probably return to this "spot" in the fact that the chalices are neatly stacked. Kind of like cleaning your home before you go on holidays, so it's nice and tidy when you get back.
Actually, it can also mean he leaves well prepared, not in a huff: He doesn't make a mess of what he leaves behind, he's got a cloak to keep him warm, he's got a walking stick with which he can defend himself, but it also supports him so he doesn't trip so easily.
The (I think) bay leaves stand for protection as far as I know.
The determination in this person to do what he's doing, I see in the red of his cloak.
The seemingly missing chalice makes me feel as if he took some of what he had with him (the chalice), wisdom for instance?
Feathers and birds are connected with Air. Not sure what to make of that yet. Maybe meaning that his thoughts, his mental side, is stable, so again he's leaving in "an orderly fashion", not leaving in a craze?

Another card reader had yet another explanation to this card in a reading he did: seeking things without, not within. So in that sense it can be a *bad* thing, i.e. holding others responsible for stuff, but not yourself. Or turning to others for your own stability instead of finding it within. That kind of thing. So basically the advice to look within, not without.

Looking forward to your views on mine, eager to learn :)

Warm wishes

Ravenne

Mnx4

I was going through my cards last night and noticed that in the upper left hand corner of this card there's a flock of birds. Is there any connection between this card and augury? Or was that just an artistic embellishment?

starrystarrynight

I don't think anything on these cards is just artistic embellishment, so that's a good pick up, Mnx4.

I remember reading (I believe it was in Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis) that the Eight of Cups can signify that something will come to pass or work itself out in one lunar month, so in that way, it could be predictive.

I (almost) always see birds as harbingers of things to come or the messages, themselves.

Mnx4

I had the Anthony Louis book right in front of me and you're right, it said it should take one month's time to work itself out.

I did a little googling and came upon this little tidbit (from here )

The object of augury was not so much to foretell the future as to indicate what line of action should be followed, in any given circumstances, by the nation. The augurs were consulted on all matters of importance, and the position of augur was thus one of great consequence. In what appears to be the oldest method, the augur, arrayed in a special costume, and carrying a staff with which to mark out the visible heavens into houses, proceeded to an elevated piece of ground, where a sacrifice was made and a prayer repeated. Then, gazing towards the sky, he waited until a bird appeared. The point in the heavens where it first made its appearance was carefully noted, also the manner and direction of its flight, and the point where it was lost sight of. From these particulars an augury was derived, but, in order to be of effect, it had to be confirmed by a further one.

The part in italics I felt described the card very well, almost too well!

Anyway, the point which I forgot to elaborate upon was the decision to change circumstance is based on looking around you and finding tell-tale signs indicating that perhaps it's best to move on, rather then "hey, let's try something new."

Jay-Bee

Hi, I now have my signed :D copy of the Robin Wood Tarot book. Just thought I would pop in and say that the birds are geese and according to the artist are there to *signify that this path is inevitable and as necessary as the migration of the geese*. I wonder about the fact geese fly in formation and take turns at the front so they can help each other complete the journey is also relevent, although there is nothing in the book to that effect. She does say to go with your own intuition, so I expect if I need this in a reading at some time the geese will jump off the card at me.

I had never noticed either till I read this in the book that there is a stream between the Cups and the person climbing the hill. Its amazing how many times you can look at the cards and still see new stuff :)

colorwalk

Jay-Bee said:
Hi, I now have my signed :D copy of the Robin Wood Tarot book. Just thought I would pop in and say that the birds are geese and according to the artist are there to *signify that this path is inevitable and as necessary as the migration of the geese*.
Oh, thanks for sharing that! I don't have the book, so I'm pleased you shared this tidbit with us. I love the meaning behind the inclusion of geese. :)

I wonder about the fact geese fly in formation and take turns at the front so they can help each other complete the journey is also relevent, although there is nothing in the book to that effect.
I see this to a lesser extent (personally) probably because I tend to see the 8 of Cups journey as the kind that one takes alone.... so the helping each other complete the journey part wouldn't apply for me unless other cards indicated support is needed.

Its amazing how many times you can look at the cards and still see new stuff :)
I know what you mean. :) I reckon that's also largely why I still feel like an excited newbie being introduced to the Tarot for the first time even though I've been reading for roughly 20 years now. There's always something new to discover, especially in lovely decks like this one!