Finding used decks, sigh.

Melia

O.K. I am confused! :bugeyed:

I have been using AbeBooks for years for inexpensive books. Wonderful bargains (except that copy of 'Day of the Triffids' for $14,500!)

How do you look up Tarot decks on Abebooks? :confused:

Use the search engine and type in tarot or the specific tarot deck you want. Then it will bring up a listing of what is available.

gregory

I've seen an old Bohemian Cats tarot set selling for $300, even though the new edition is readily available. Both of these sets are being spruiked as 'a collector's item', so there must be some 'collectors' of decks who really do pay such prices. Good luck to them, but to me this just smells of pure greed.
If is a FIRST EDITION BBC, it IS extremely hard to find now and people who want it want it because later editions WERE changed. (The borders are a deal-breaker for some.) Not that I think the prices it now fetches are reasonable, but for those who feel that strongly about the borders and a few things that were changed for later editions... I imagine the SECOND edition will get that way for people who want the blue dress card... ;) People who specifically want something will pay to get it, if they can.

tarotbear

Use the search engine and type in tarot or the specific tarot deck you want. Then it will bring up a listing of what is available.

Typing in 'tarot' brought up 39952 entries :bugeyed:
Typed in 'tarot cards' - 7900 entries
Typed in 'tarot deck' - 3500 entries

Any way to filter these if you are not looking for a specific deck - just looking? :confused:

cardlady22

How do YOU decide whether whether paying 5 times above retail price for a deck is reasonable as opposed to only 3 times above retail price, or is it the seller that decides this for you?

What do you do if a 2nd or 3rd printing of a deck is currently on the market, do you then still pay 3-5 times retail price for an older edition that you want?
The price range actually comes from a ratio that I use when purchasing individual cards from various trading card game rarities: 3 cards per the next level up. The "high end" of 5 times gets applied here on AT's Trading forum only. I don't mind helping people I "know" ~ I don't think any deck rates higher than a certain percentage of my income. :p Those making more can spend more.

The condition of the deck or set plays into it too. Very much a deck-by-deck, intuitive thing.

For the most part, I am content to get a single edition of a deck. No completionist tendencies can be indulged since I need to spread my dollars. :grin: But I have been known to snag multi-deck deals and pass them on to ATers at later dates. It all depends on the pricing hitting my sweet spot at a time when I have the cash flow.

gregory

Typing in 'tarot' brought up 39952 entries :bugeyed:
Typed in 'tarot cards' - 7900 entries
Typed in 'tarot deck' - 3500 entries

Any way to filter these if you are not looking for a specific deck - just looking? :confused:
US sellers only.

Price low to high. (that saves a lot of time - just keep reading till you hit your top limit !!)

That kind of thing :)

Cerulean

Wonder Books of Frederick, Maryland in the U.S. shipped me my miniature Albano on Jan

...shipped on January 7, 2012 and it was $35.00, plus a few dollars shipping.

I remember keeping the listing on hold to buy later for a few weeks, but the price remained the same.

A few years back I bought it used at a bookstore for $8.00, it was the U.S. Games version...but I wanted a backup, and waited until I located the $35 one.

The other 1971 without the copyright notice was a yellow box Rider Waite, but it for $8 at a used bookstore in February 2012.

Cerulean

I've seen a Tarot production Miniature Albano go for nearly £100 on Ebay, are these the same vintage decks your finding on abebooks?

Melia

If is a FIRST EDITION BBC, it IS extremely hard to find now and people who want it want it because later editions WERE changed. (The borders are a deal-breaker for some.) Not that I think the prices it now fetches are reasonable, but for those who feel that strongly about the borders and a few things that were changed for later editions... I imagine the SECOND edition will get that way for people who want the blue dress card... ;) People who specifically want something will pay to get it, if they can.

I knew it was the first edition gregory. I know there are collectors. But, even with the changes (yes even those that are a deal breaker for some people), the fact that there is a new version available makes the prices being asked for it ridiculous.

Melia

~ I don't think any deck rates higher than a certain percentage of my income. :p Those making more can spend more.

This is true, but those who make more income than you may not necessarily spend more on a deck. Obviously deck buying is an individual thing.

I am not a collector, and do not spend more than retail price on any deck. I'm just amazed at some of the prices I see, but esp. for decks where really good new printings are currently available.

gregory

I knew it was the first edition gregory. I know there are collectors. But, even with the changes (yes even those that are a deal breaker for some people), the fact that there is a new version available makes the prices being asked for it ridiculous.

I'd agree - except that if you don't WANT the other editions.... the fact that there are newer ones is no help at all ! (You wouldn't believe what I've been offered for mine. Or maybe you would ! "The third edition has the yellow dress back _ NOW will you sell.." Well - duh - if that makes the third edition OK - YOU buy it for YOURSELF...! }))

It all comes back to - anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it !

Le Fanu

I think I have a notion of when a price is ridiculous but then I think I have a pretty good sense overall of what a deck is worth, distinct from whether I have that money in my pocket. Many often confuse the distinction. I recently paid just over £100 for a Greenwood. That's cheap, believe me, but for someone who hasn't got £100, or needs £100 for winter clothes for baby, it isn't cheap at all.