Legend: Ten of Shields: Camelot

Lyones

All the good things in life culminate in Camelot. The food is cooking ... hmmm ... I can almost smell it, roast. It's warm and sheltered from the elements and the gracious host, Arthur, is very generous. Everyone is chatting and the children run around without a care in the world - it's perfect, a little piece of paradise.

This picture appeals to the senses and seems to have something for everyone - the hall has luxuious tapestries on the wall and has high ceilings, it doesn't feel crowded, but it still has a cosiness. It's inviting and looks most enjoyable. There appears to be no world outside these walls, and who would want to venture from the safety?

Traditionally, during medieval times, the Lord and Lady would eat together with their family, friends and servants' families in the kitchen. There was no segregation nor privacy. It was a very social, closely knit communal way of life. http://www.castlewales.com/life.html#Part II

This seems to be about the things we generally take for granted - a roof over our heads, food and drink, family and friends. The abundance of abilities we each have, wealth - even in the seemingly ordinary things.

WalesWoman

I like this card a lot too, it seems so welcoming and warm, like being embraced with acceptance. Realization that you have become part of something much larger than yourself, more than a family, but a true member of the whole clan. It feels more like the 9Cups RWS card, one big happy family joining together for the Thanksgiving feast. Since in the book, it's the beginning of winter, that sounds about right, the Harvest feast would probably be more like it or even Christmas/solstice, when everyone gathers together for warmth and to raise their spirits, for there isn't much else to do during the long, dark, cold winter days, but share the warmth and bounty with food, stories, laughter and song. I'm sure it was a joyful time, since the women and children finally got to spend some quality time with their men, romances begun in the summer could finally have time to develop, men could recooperate and revel about everything they had done during the summer and relax in the safety and security of the keep and simply enjoy being there. Home, sweet home.

It's solid and looks like it can withstand any storm or calamity, nothing can breech it, so it is secure and lasting, a place where you could come to as a bride, raise your children, watch their children grow up and generations coming after that would still have that same strength of security that lasts through the ages. It is ageless and timeless.

I think this card is much more than that, it's the final commitment to the realization of everything we strive for and the satisfaction of attaining it, the release of the stresses we have undergone to get here, maybe even counting our blessings, appreciating everything that brought us to this place in time. Sort of a mini Universe only completion on the physical plane. The arches above the doorway, seem to let us know the only place to go from here is up. This isn't as good as it gets, it's the way it's supposed to be!

Sophie-David

I enjoyed the link on medieval life, Lyones - which then lead me to a fascinating description of the Beaumaris Castle in Anglesey, Wales.

I am still puzzling over who the players are in this scene. The man in purple looks very much like Arthur, and since this is Camelot I suppose the lady could be Guenevere, but in other pictures Guen's hair seems a lighter blonde and finer in texture. Since the lady is serving food from the kitchen it is likely that this lady lives in this castle, but perhaps she is one of the ladies of the court. The lady may be introducing or recommending her son to Arthur as the boy presents the king with a tray of food. This "networking" is an aspect of hospitality that has always been important. Two smaller children play around the lady's skirt - the young boy is pulling on her sleeve for attention.

The scene is relaxed and natural as the servants prepare to serve dinner in the great hall. An ample fire blazes in an open hearth to the left of the arched entrance from the kitchen. The card evokes an atmosphere of warmth, comfort, good food and good company, as a Ten of Shields (Pentacles) should.

Lyones

Originally posted by Sophie-David
I am still puzzling over who the players are in this scene. The man in purple looks very much like Arthur, and since this is Camelot I suppose the lady could be Guenevere, but in other pictures Guen's hair seems a lighter blonde and finer in texture.

Yes, I also puzzled about that, and the purple clothing of the man would suggest royalty - Arthur ... but the colour also reminded me of Merlin's purple cloak, and the woman in red also reminds me of Igraine (Queen of Shields) and Percivale's mother (3 of Shields) - both homely ... so I'm not sure of their identities either - they could be guests or the hosts.