horseshoe spread

daisyb

I have a question about the descprency in meanings with the 4th card...
now is seems like this can either be the querent's card (in some explanations) or it can be the answer. I have found that often for me it seems to represent what's on my mind when I ask the question, so more in line with the querent's card. Does anyone have any insights on this?

rwcarter

Hi daisyb,

As with many spreads, there are many variations of the Horseshoe Spread. Is the one you're using 5 cards or 7 cards? It would also help us to help you if you listed what all the positions were.

Generally, I would say that if the spread indicates the position means one thing, but in your experience it points to something else, I would go with your experience.

Rodney

daisyb

Hi,

I'm thinking of the 7 card spread

1.past
2. present
3. near future
4. **** this is the one I'm unsure about-- is it the card representing the querent or is it the answer as some say??
5.others
6. hopes/fears/advice
7. future/answer

thanks!

rwcarter

daisyb,

In the context of the other positions, it makes sense to me that position 4 would represent the Querent in the situation because there's already a position (#7) that addresses the answer. Cards 1-3 seem to discuss the situation itself. Cards 4 and 5 seem to be about the Querent and other people in relation to the situation. Card 6 seems to address the Querent's hopes or fears and/or gives advice to the Querent. The final position is the answer or how the situation will play out.

The great thing about tarot cards and tarot spreads is that you're free to use what makes sense and discard or change what doesn't. If a particular position in a spread (or a particular meaning for a card) doesn't make sense to you, then you can change the meaning (of the position or card). I promise you that the tarot police won't come knocking on your door late some night. ;)

HTH,
Rodney

daisyb

Thanks everyone! You have been very helpful!