Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Lenormand: What Difficulties Do YOU experience?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Beyond Tarot > Lenormand


View Poll Results: "Lenormand: What Difficulties Do YOU Most Experience As A Learner".
Understanding one system or any for that matter. 0 0%
Certain cards when in a combo or spread. E.g. Sun/Cross. 11 40.74%
How to answer a question whether specific or general. 10 37.04%
I find it tricky reading them in pairs, threes, or more than 5. 10 37.04%
I cannot get my head around certain cards. E.g. Coffin. 4 14.81%
I find it hard to read when a card like Tree/Heart/Fish turns up for a question like Job. 10 37.04%
I do not know when I am the "Man"/"Woman"...or not. 4 14.81%
I do not understand the basics. 0 0%
I find it confusing as one source says this and another that. 6 22.22%
Other: State Reasons In Comments. 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

 
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
And what does he designate as the work card?
The Moon, along with its meanings of honor and fame.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #41
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticnoodle View Post
Yes, I'd like to know too. I often think about buying his book, but never seem to do so. I have Rana George's book though and found it very helpful. Does Andy also have a website?
Andy used to have an informative Lenormand blog but he seems to have changed and broadened it. I haven't found it as useful since then, but I haven't spent much time on it lately.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #42
DownUnderNZer's Avatar
DownUnderNZer  DownUnderNZer is offline
Time Traveller
 
Join Date: 20 May 2009
Location: In Between Dimensions
Posts: 10,772
DownUnderNZer 
Time Traveller

DownUnderNZer's Avatar

If the sitter is asking about himself or herself then I would look at the MAN and/or WOMAN first as well as their corresponding houses, then the S.O. if there is one, and that person is being asked about too.

Or...

If the sitter wants to know about "Work" first and upmost - I would looking for "Anchor" (German) or "Fox" (French) and their houses etc.

Depends on the situation.

DND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Witch View Post
I most always lay a 9 x 4. I use all the methods you mention for the 8 x 4 + 4 except for reading the last for cards.

I do not understand what you are saying about the 9 x 4 starting at the sitter's card or a main house and follow through from there. Can you elaborate? Thank you.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #43
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderNZer View Post
If the sitter is asking about himself or herself then I would look at the MAN and/or WOMAN first as well as their corresponding houses, then the S.O. if there is one, and that person is being asked about too.

Or...

If the sitter wants to know about "Work" first and upmost - I would looking for "Anchor" (German) or "Fox" (French) and their houses etc.

Depends on the situation.

DND
There was an interesting discussion with mkg a while back where Mary said she's careful not to offer a "complete" GT reading to anyone, and just hits the high spots (specific topic areas) as they come up in the conversation. It's all too easy to say "This means you," "This means work," "This means health," "This means money," "This means family," "This means love and marriage," etc, and then "OK, what do you want to know about?" In trying to sound knowledgeable, we can scuttle our own boat, since they will inevitably want to know a bit about everything!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #44
DownUnderNZer's Avatar
DownUnderNZer  DownUnderNZer is offline
Time Traveller
 
Join Date: 20 May 2009
Location: In Between Dimensions
Posts: 10,772
DownUnderNZer 
Time Traveller

DownUnderNZer's Avatar

I was taught to read it like that from the start. The GT was my teething ring, but all main areas were looked at if it was just a "general". If the person only wanted to know about one or two things - then one or two things it was for that GT. Only when a person asked further about it were other things looked at.

The GT is great for looking at all areas, but not for tackling a sitter's "many questions" if it is just on the one topic that is most on her/his mind. E.g. Extra Marital Affair. And it does happen. Who is this other woman? Is she still in the picture? What is she like? Is she young? Is she at his workplace? Is he still cheating on me? Is there more than one? I read a text message from her on his phone, so what.....?

I think if you are not a learner you might be able to answer most of these in a GT, but if the sitter wants to know the ins and outs of who s/he is dealing with whether it is a triangle, business, family - then it would be somewhat limited.

And that is why I progressed on to learn a more freer style of reading.


DND


Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
There was an interesting discussion with mkg a while back where Mary said she's careful not to offer a "complete" GT reading to anyone, and just hits the high spots (specific topic areas) as they come up in the conversation. It's all too easy to say "This means you," "This means work," "This means health," "This means money," "This means family," "This means love and marriage," etc, and then "OK, what do you want to know about?" In trying to sound knowledgeable, we can scuttle our own boat, since they will inevitably want to know a bit about everything!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #45
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderNZer View Post
And that is why I progressed on to learn a more freer style of reading.
As a more analytical than intuitive reader, I love the intricacies of the GT, even when I'm not trying to answer a specific question (which is most of the time, actually). I see a very strong "fluid dynamic" in the GT that doesn't have a whole lot to do with fixed structure, more with the interplay of reinforcing and countermanding influences. I like to talk about the "rocks in a pond" metaphor, but I really do read it that way - as interpenetrating ripples. Near/far does put some necessary restraints on my exuberance.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #46
DownUnderNZer's Avatar
DownUnderNZer  DownUnderNZer is offline
Time Traveller
 
Join Date: 20 May 2009
Location: In Between Dimensions
Posts: 10,772
DownUnderNZer 
Time Traveller

DownUnderNZer's Avatar

I do like GT's as they can look at a number of areas at the same time, a few, or just one and in depth.

But the random lay out of cards can answer each question one by one and in a direct way plus it is more flexible. However, I do think more than 3 cards is needed really not just one or two, as the Lenormand is about using the cards in the "plural" sense to tell a story. Even three sometimes is not enough I reckon.

The GT and Freestyle both have advantages and merit, also, when one can move easily between both - it is truly a Godsend. That was the hardest issue for me - transitioning from only knowing the GT to understanding how to read them in a more freer way.


DND




Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
As a more analytical than intuitive reader, I love the intricacies of the GT, even when I'm not trying to answer a specific question (which is most of the time, actually). I see a very strong "fluid dynamic" in the GT that doesn't have a whole lot to do with fixed structure, more with the interplay of reinforcing and countermanding influences. I like to talk about the "rocks in a pond" metaphor, but I really do read it that way - as interpenetrating ripples. Near/far does put some necessary restraints on my exuberance.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #47
celticnoodle's Avatar
celticnoodle  celticnoodle is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Aug 2006
Location: across from spook hill
Posts: 29,152
celticnoodle 
Citizen

celticnoodle's Avatar

I just thought of another difficulty with Lenormand.

When reading the Grand Tableau, one of the things you pay attention to are the 4 corners. Which IF you read the GT in a 9 x 9 layout, the 4 corners would be cards #1, 9, 28 & 36. But what if you use the 8 x 4 layout? Would the 4 corners be #1, 8, 25 and 32 or #1, 8, 33, and 36?

I use the 8 x 4 layout. I have been using the 4 corners as #1, 8, 25 and 32, but today while doing a G.T. for someone, I came to that part of the reading and I think, hmmmm...is it RIGHT to read the cards in 25 and 32 or is it better to read the cards in position 33 and 36?

What say you? I'm very interested to see what people do in this case.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #48
DownUnderNZer's Avatar
DownUnderNZer  DownUnderNZer is offline
Time Traveller
 
Join Date: 20 May 2009
Location: In Between Dimensions
Posts: 10,772
DownUnderNZer 
Time Traveller

DownUnderNZer's Avatar

For the 4 x 9 I do not read the corners, but for the 8 x 4 plus 4 I do. Feels like I am doing math! So,with the 8 x 4 I read "1, 8, 25, and 32".

I am sure others have their own ways of doing GTs, so it would be interesting to see who uses corners or not etc.

DND


Quote:
Originally Posted by celticnoodle View Post
I just thought of another difficulty with Lenormand.

When reading the Grand Tableau, one of the things you pay attention to are the 4 corners. Which IF you read the GT in a 9 x 9 layout, the 4 corners would be cards #1, 9, 28 & 36. But what if you use the 8 x 4 layout? Would the 4 corners be #1, 8, 25 and 32 or #1, 8, 33, and 36?

I use the 8 x 4 layout. I have been using the 4 corners as #1, 8, 25 and 32, but today while doing a G.T. for someone, I came to that part of the reading and I think, hmmmm...is it RIGHT to read the cards in 25 and 32 or is it better to read the cards in position 33 and 36?

What say you? I'm very interested to see what people do in this case.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #49
celticnoodle's Avatar
celticnoodle  celticnoodle is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Aug 2006
Location: across from spook hill
Posts: 29,152
celticnoodle 
Citizen

celticnoodle's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderNZer View Post
For the 4 x 9 I do not read the corners, but for the 8 x 4 plus 4 I do. Feels like I am doing math! So,with the 8 x 4 I read "1, 8, 25, and 32".

I am sure others have their own ways of doing GTs, so it would be interesting to see who uses corners or not etc.

DND
Thank you, DND for your quick response. It is how I have been reading the 4 corners myself, but I was just thinking about it while laying out the cards again for a reading for someone. It'll be interesting to see if the majority agrees with us!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #50


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.