Arthurian Tarot - which edition has the white borders?

RavenOfSummer

Yes that is correct.
All the very first versions had plain black arched shaped borders. The deck came in several box types - a clam shell, a cardboard slip case and a boxed set with a plain journal and book. I could find pictures (probably) if you need them. The backs have the figure of a seated woman on them and are not reversible. Dated around 1990 plus a few I would think.

Then there was a reprint of the deck in 2006 - it was done by "Connections" it was called the 'new edition', and it came in a green box that is deck-sized. It had white arch shaped borders with gold curlicues, green backs and a small purple coloured paperback LWB. It's ISBN is 978-1-85906-210-4.
I don't know that it came in any other format, but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Then is 2014 came "The Complete Arthurian Tarot" - also by Connections. It's the same artwork, but the cards are black arch shaped borders with the gold curlicues and green backs. Bigger box, and an expanded book to include stuff from previously separate volumes. ISBN 978-1-85906-388-0.

I'll see if I can find images...

PathWalker (the Arthurian tarot nerd :) )

Thank you so much PathWalker! I could not make heads or tails of all these editions :)

So it sounds like the black with the gold is the most recent version and probably the most easily attainable at this point. I'm trying to figure it out because I've been wanting this deck for a while, and I have been offered a trade of the deck, but it's the black with gold which I think is actually my least favorite of the versions. I would prefer the white or the plain black. BUT, maybe I should take the trade and maybe try to work on getting another edition at a late date, since it seems like the others may be hard to come by. I especially love the white borders, but it looks like they can be quite expensive at this point. I think based on your information that this version on Amazon is the white borders: https://www.amazon.com/Arthurian-Ta...5055&sr=1-3&keywords=arthurian+tarot+matthews. So, quite expensive :(

I really appreciate your help!

PathWalker

They are all lovely, once you have them in your hand - and if it comes with the large book inside the package I'd grab it.
The other versions do come up on ebay sometimes, I'd look there is I was after any more copies! :)

Enjoy.
Oh, my avatar is a card from the deck :)

RavenOfSummer

They are all lovely, once you have them in your hand - and if it comes with the large book inside the package I'd grab it.
The other versions do come up on ebay sometimes, I'd look there is I was after any more copies! :)

Enjoy.
Oh, my avatar is a card from the deck :)

Thank you PathWalker! I really appreciate it, and now with your encouragement I am going to go for the trade :) It does in fact come with the big book which I'm excited about. I've always loved Arthurian legends so this deck has been calling to me for a while. I also checked ebay and there are indeed some more reasonably priced earlier editions compared to what's on Amazon! So that's good to know as well :) Excited!

Morwenna

*sigh* I have versions one and three; somehow I passed up version two, and now I'm regretting it. I almost bought it back when, too...

Morwenna

Bumping because I'm jumping (for joy)! Today I hit my local esoteric shop and found--or realized--they had a copy of version 2 above!! It was the only one in the display case and I wonder if it's the last one they had. So now I have the complete run!

(Look out, PathWalker, I'm almost as much of an Arthurian nerd as you are! :D)

PathWalker

That's great :)
The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, no worries.

Enjoy

PW