Lenormand Recommendations

Tag_jorrit

Thanks for all the recommendations! I only seem to find 36 cards decks in English. Is there a version of the "big" Lenormand deck with the 54 cards?

thanks!

While possessing a similar name, what you are speaking of is known as the Grand Jeu Lenormand. One can be purchased on here .

It is quite different from the one discussed in this forum and if you google "Grand Jeu Lenormand" you will find many hits.

tapestry

If you are interested in seeing more obscure antique repros you can try here where you will find 15 more genuine old, c.1860 and later, decks rather than made-to-look-old decks that may have more fanciful illustrations than the originals..

I just got one of these gorgeous decks for my first Lenormand deck from Tag's website....it's the variation #2 Dondorf Lenormand c. 1889 with the white and gold backs and I must say that the deck is stunning! Now I just need to learn how to read the cards..... :)

Le Fanu

Obviously, I would recommend any deck from Tag's website in first place. Authentic, period Lenormands for the modern reader.

Of the mass market ones - I now have a new favourite - and nobody has mentioned it - the U.S Games Blue Bird Lenormand is beautifully done - a pastiche of a deck but it really feels so right.

I'm so glad this was released and made easily available. No more are readers limited to the dowdy Owls and frumpy Piatnik when it comes to choosing a Lenormand!

tapestry

Of the mass market ones - I now have a new favourite - and nobody has mentioned it - the U.S Games Blue Bird Lenormand is beautifully done - a pastiche of a deck but it really feels so right.

It's funny that you mentioned the Blue Bird because it was between that one and the repro that I ended up getting which I *love*, however, I've still been thinkin' a lot of the BB deck......also wondering why the BB doesn't get a lotta mention on here as it looks so quaint and beautiful from the pix I've seen......hmmmmm.....well, you've enabled me, Le Fanu, and I think I'm gonna get this one, too! :)

Tag_jorrit

I wanted to want the Bluebird. I really did. I am afraid I see it as another collage deck done in the Daveluy style. And I like the Daveluy better.

Barleywine

I currently have four Lenormand decks: the traditional Piatnik, Laura Tuan's Lenormand Oracle (large format that I use as "foundation" cards for the GT house system since I haven't fully internalized the progression yet), the Gilded Reverie (not entirely traditional but the one my sitters warm up to the most) and the Pixie, which I've yet to use in a reading. But frankly, I've been lusting after the restored Wust.

tapestry

Is the Blue Bird deck the only one that has both English verses and playing cards together?

Emily

I struggle with Lenormand cards but my favourite at the moment is Pixie's Astounding Lenormand in a tin. They are all illlustrated with Pamela Colman Smith's artwork, some of it not on the Rider Waite and the colouring is just right, no jarring yellow - it looks like a vintage deck, very nice. Also there is a large LWB that fits nicely in the tin with the cards.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pixies-astounding-lenormand/

I did also like the Blue Owl Lenormand with the English verses until I realised that the verses were distracting.

Le Fanu

I wanted to want the Bluebird. I really did. I am afraid I see it as another collage deck done in the Daveluy style. And I like the Daveluy better.
Oh I think it is. But I open my arms warmly to pastiched fakeness on this one. However, I would say that it is really the composition which is copied from the Daveluy. Whereas the Daveluy is watercolours (I think - or is it etching?) this one is collaged from Victorian salon painting - some really rather fey and languid. And I love the non-playing card inserts - portraits taken from Goya and the like. It isn't pretending to be a historically authentic Lenormand - it could never rival yours :heart: but I really do prefer this one to ALL the other mass market ones. I love how some images flow out of the frame - see how the Rider is already trotting out of the confines of his picture frame. I would have lessened the yellow on the Sun card but that's a minor thing.

Somebody was asking me about the LWB on this one but I'm afraid to say I can't find it. I took it out, stored it somewhere safe - no idea where - and never felt the need to look at it.

Joon

Somebody was asking me about the LWB on this one but I'm afraid to say I can't find it. I took it out, stored it somewhere safe - no idea where - and never felt the need to look at it.

That was my question. Thanks for your answer. No worries - I usually chuck the LWBs myself. :)