The Distant Past Tarot by Jeri Totten

Le Fanu

This intrigues me. I have just ordered the large size. On screen it looks beautiful and the borderlessness really appeals. I saw it on instagram and it looked very readable. We'll see when it gets here. Very curious.

Tibor

I quite like the art style. Reminds me a bit of the Touchstone tarot. However, I feel as though it has a somewhat feminine energy and I like my decks a bit more balanced. Also, can somebody confirm to me that the Magician is female?

Le Fanu

Yes, it feels like a brighter, less brown Touchstone. And without the frames. I hadn't noticed it was quite feminine - but then the female portraits of this period are so much more flamboyant than the male ones so perhaps that's why I like it. I never used to be a fan of female Magicians - it was one of those things to tick or not - until the Tarot of Delphi and that one works well so I'm sold. Love that one, gazing into the mid-distance, feeling things solidify and come into being beyond the picture borders

Le Fanu

Well mine arrived today. I really like it. Yes the Magician is female, yes there's quite a feminine energy going on (and The Fool is female too) - but I really like it.

I have realised that I like what I call "shameless" collaging - collaging that embraces the whole mismatching aspects and doesn't try to be seamless. Despite its classical artwork, the Distant Past Tarot feels a bit psychedelic, a bit dizzy and theatrical - sweeping curtains and hovering cherubs - and what is most wonderful of all - despite the Botticelli 3 of Cups card - is that there are quite a lot of unfamiliar images for me here. The images don't come with baggage like so many collage decks do which draw on classical artwork. I know a lot of baroque and rococo artwork well but there are still a lot of surprises here so I can see this deck afresh as tarot. And then this lovely aquamarine hue over everything.

It's a lovely deck. I got the largest size available and it's a great size, really shows off the artwork - so big and borderless. I have nothing but praise and I'm such a grouchy old thing when it comes to collage decks. I'm intrigued and I find myself questioning and analysing just what this one does so right. Renamed Death and the Devil could have been dispensed with, but the artwork is so absorbing that you can overlook the titles and just lose yourself.

Gwynydd

Le Fanu, are you also happy with the card stock?

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, are you also happy with the card stock?
Yes, it comes from the same Hong Kong distributers as the Duck Soup decks (good as, weirdly, there's less likely to be a Customs charge coming from Hong Kong than the US) and (I think) Seven Stars decks. So if you have Mister Punch or the Deck of the Dead, it's that cardstock - less linen-y, but the same thickness. I'm very happy with it. Love everything about it.

I love these slightly "crazed" collage decks (I know what I mean) - jam packed with all kinds of unexpected out-of-perspective touches...

Gwynydd

Oh, that's great!

CharlotteK

I've had the poker size a little while, and it is a very lovely, well made deck to work with. It has a softness and warmth to it, but is rather quirky and definitely not bland. I've just ordered the large size and look forward to enjoying the artwork up close and bigger. The poker deck will make a great travel deck.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Le Fanu

I've had the poker size a little while, and it is a very lovely, well made deck to work with. It has a softness and warmth to it, but is rather quirky and definitely not bland. I've just ordered the large size and look forward to enjoying the artwork up close and bigger. The poker deck will make a great travel deck.

I was just looking at the different sizes on the website and the larger one has "superior smooth" cardstock so there will be a difference between the poker size and the large size in terms of cardstock. I personally love the large size and am glad I went for this one. The largeness adds to the sumptuousness and intoxicating colours!

CharlotteK

I was just looking at the different sizes on the website and the larger one has "superior smooth" cardstock so there will be a difference between the poker size and the large size in terms of cardstock. I personally love the large size and am glad I went for this one. The largeness adds to the sumptuousness and intoxicating colours!
That's great to hear, thanks Le Fanu. I don't have a huge collection and have only bought different versions of the same deck twice before (Anna K self published and MM and German Von Waite pocket and standard). But this is such a beautiful deck and pleasure to work with, I couldn't resist the large size. It's a plus for me too that the card stock is different as feel less like like I'm buying the same thing again!