Is a printed, cut and paste Tarot deck okay?

Astrum_Stultas

Hi!

I'm rather new to Tarot (I just posted on the New members board) and because my mom would be extremely upset if she knew I was involved in Tarot (long story...and by the way, I'm in my teens), so I can't go out and buy an actual deck. So what I did was I printed the entire Art Nouveau Tarot deck off Tarot.com, cut the cards, and pasted them onto notecards. I asked the "magick guru" of my school if this was fine, and she said that handmade anything has more power than store bought, so my biggest fear is that the cards will deteriorate quickly. I did my first "daily reading" today, and the situation and advice it predicted was pretty much perfect.

However, that's only one reading, and I'm still skeptical as to its accuracy. Will it be just as good (or better) than a storebought deck? Will it deteriorate?

Oh, and since I've read reviews about the Art Nouveau Tarot saying that it's a bad starter deck, don't worry...it's easier for me than the Rider-Waite and its clones.

~Nicky (I'm a guy, it's short for Nicholas)

Alta

It probably won't last as long as a laminated deck, but if you handle it carefully, you should have a good run with it. And, now you have the technique, you could always make another. There is a thread in Decks on "Sites that show the whole deck", so you could have a big choice. :)

As far as accuracy goes, it will be fine. As far as the actual deck, not one of my favs, but others here have posted that they read successfully with it.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Home Made

Nicky,
Anything homemade has your own "energy" attached to it. Thats why it works very well for you. Some people paint, crochet, make totems, whatever it may be, it shows your energy into a project and your project picks up your energy you put into it. In other words, your Guru is correct. :)

As for the Tarot being something to hide from mom, well, all I can say is I was there once upon a time! I didn't want my children into it either! (My oldest has been into Runes, Tarot and astrology for along time and I never knew it.)
Now that I am older (51) and much wiser (I hope) I understand the Tarot alot better. I know the cards only have the "power" if you give it to them. Its your energy. The cards understand this and thats why they work. (My humble opinion, only!)

There was once a really sweet guy that was shy and very humble who lived in our area. He picked up a tarot deck and found he had an awesome gift! As time went on, his health declined. People said it was those cards. If you heard him read, or knew him at all, you knew it was the energy HE put into his cards. (Actually, it was a give and give situation with them.) He went on to eventually end up hurt very badly in an accident. He still won't blame the cards, like all the nay sayers were saying.
The moral to my long story is this, this sweet guy would scare the bejeebers out of me when he read. LOL! But, he had a gift and negleted his other responsiblities. Like eating, sleeping and being safe in a vehical!
No bad cards, just unsafe readers? LOL!

Barbara

Astrum_Stultas

Thanks for the input! Since I'm completely new, I wasn't sure if there were some kind of rituals performed at the printing company or something that gave the cards power...I'm glad I know that it's what I give to them.

Barbara-it sounds to me like that guy in your story, since you said he neglected his other responsibilities, devoted pretty much his whole life to Tarot, forgetting to eat, shower, etc...sounds ridiculous, I know, but that's the impression that I got. If he gave them that much energy, wouldn't they give him that much back? I've often heard that anything magickal only has as much power as what you put into it. If you pray sincerely and faithfully, your prayer will be answered...if you pray simply to pray, nothing will happen. I've been on both sides, and can attest to it.

Anyway, one ritual that I had thought up involved (basically) meditating with the cards and visualizing my energy permeating through them, so they would become more "mine"...even though I don't know what I mean by that. But what could it hurt? ;)

floracove

Not that i've ever attempted creating tarot cards...
I use to work in the Graphics Dept. in college, and we used a laminating machine, I loved that sucker!
Laminated every reasonable thing, that could go thru the rollers. :)

They make laminating kits, and even desk top laminating machines, i do believe, why not use one of those, for laminating the cards?

grrlfrommars

Hi Nicky,

Welcome and good luck with your journey.

The home-made cards will certainly become a good start for you to study with, particularly in regards to card meanings. I am a big fan of the Art Nouveau and it will probably be my next purchase!

It will certainly benefit you if you can purchase a deck however. It will allow you to make a connection with the cards and have a life long relationship with them, rather than having to throw out your printed ones when they get tattered. If you want to part ways with them you can always sell them or trade them for another deck. And don't forget... the artist/creator has put a lot of time and money into the deck, so it's nice to be able to contribute and say thanks by purchasing it. Art Nouveau is relatively inexpensive in comparasin to a lot of other decks, so I encourage you to save your pennies, for as long as it takes, and eventually buy a deck, get a friend to buy it for you, or order it over the internet (deliver to a friend perhaps?).

Sounds like there are some concerns from your mother, it is nice to see that she cares about you and your well-being. Best not worry her or cause conflict if it's not needed. I hope that you have a locker you can keep your cards safe in, or a nice quiet untainted spot do do your readings in, like a library or place in your community.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Meditating

<Anyway, one ritual that I had thought up involved (basically) meditating with the cards and visualizing my energy permeating through them, so they would become more "mine"...even though I don't know what I mean by that. But what could it hurt?>
Meditating with your cards/or a card helps you a great deal. You know them, they know your aura. Its a relationship. Your on the right track.
Barbara

Little Baron

Firstly, I would like to say how nice it is to read the posts of new members in both this thread and some others. There has been some great ideas and opinions expressed.

As I said in another thread, I think that there is something very special about making your own deck and the energy that you put into it with care and interest.

I was wondering though, Nicky. Is one of the reasons why you have printed out your own deck due to lack of funds?

Since I have been on this forum, I have been lucky to receive the generosity of many members. I have traded decks, and also, people have sent me decks for 'nothing in return', just out of kindness because they knew that I wanted them. Recently, a member sent me a beautiful calendar of her own deck as a gift. There are some very self-less and kind people out there!

So with this in mind, I would live to give something back to the universe.

Nicky, as I have already said, I have a Matt Myers deck here, which I havn't used for about seven or so years. It is packed away with others in a box somehwhere so I am not sure what the box and lwb is like, but am sure the condition of the cards is good since I never used it for that long. It seems such a waste to have it sitting there, getting no use when someone could be enjoying it. If you would like the copy, it is yours. Just send me your address in a 'private message' and I will pop it in the post. There is no need for you to pay postage or anything. I am not Paris Hilton, but I am sure it will not be that expensive to send to the USA. As someone else suggested, if a friend could take delivery so that your mother does not know about it, then ask their permission to use their address.

Of course, if you prefer your home-made one, then I won't be offended. Let me know.

Best, LB

Barbaras Ahajusts

Oh LB

Oh LB,
What a truely generous gift! I am so deeply touched by you. I know when I was reading your post-reading for Elfven, I could see you were indeed gifted, but you just keep amazing me, with your spirit!
What a truely lovely person you are.

This group of people, here at Aecletic, just keeps amazing me! I'm kinda sorry I never joined a year ago, now! LOL! Such kind and awesome people! (Even I have been "gifted" by a dear sweet spirit!)

I am so moved!
Barbara

Little Baron

Thanks Barbaras.

My kindness has just been inspired by others here who have done the same to me. I think that it is good to keep the energy alive and moving on the forum and I saw this as a chance to do my bit. Besides, being someone that loves tarot and different divination decks, I can appreciate how much others love them too. I don't believe all of the mumbo-jumbo about your first deck having to be a gift but I do believe that it should be special in some way. If gifting someone a 'first deck' takes them deeper into the world of tarot, enlightens them and gives them an opportunity that they might not have had otherwise, then it makes me feel good about myself as well. So passing a deck on in that way is special.

And also, I hate waste. I am not a collector. I have many decks because I have tried different systems and have been curious about decks many times. There are many decks that I no longer use but will not part with for one reason or another. But there are some, that even though I appreciate, may be appreciated more by someone else. And I would rather that than them sitting in a basket, not being used. I havn't heard from Nicky, so am not sure if he is interested yet. We shall see.

Thanks for your kind response.

LB