Court astrological associations in books, not lining up.

Barleywine

You're, right. Tomato, tomatto. :)

Another way of looking at the Courts is as shorthand for three Minors, in this case the Four of Disks, Five of Swords and Six of Swords.

Truly, even if you know the system and know it by heart easily enough to deconstruct a Court on the fly, they're still maddeningly complex. But then, since they are meant to represent people, people are extremely complex. In the other classes of cards the attributions generally lead to one main idea but the Courts have different, sometimes contradictory sides to them that make them entire case studies.

And then, when we add in the non-representational angle in a divination setting (potential attributes of the querent's character or impersonal forces at work in his or her personal reality), that complexity can go off the scale. But it's all part of the fun! I kind of like the idea of the Prince of Swords having three little minions to fetch his supper, sharpen his weapons, see that his armor is cleaned and polished and keep his routine affairs in order. And there is also the Princess of Swords in the background to keep him honest. :)

Nemia

Yes, I agree, the court cards are complex, horoscopes are complex too, and even humans are complex :-D

So the simplistic birth sign-court card equation never worked for me. For Thoth-y decks, I take the very clever "trespassing" decans (three decans from two suits) into account, but also the birth sign, and if I have it, at least the ascendant sign. There is closeness between the "element families" of signs and court cards.

And then there is the little thing called intuition... we are never the same person and play different roles, and a Knight of Swords can jump from the skin of the pretty, softly spoken Pisces girl at times.