Vaticination

Barleywine

I learned a new word today while reading Joseph Maxwell's observations on the nature of intuition in his generally excellent book, The Tarot. Although the dictionary definition of "vaticination" means simply to foretell the future or prophesy, Maxwell fleshed it out in terms of its subconscious, astral and spiritual dimensions:

" . . .the faculty of being able to read the information possessed by the enquirer about his past, present and future. Coming events cast a shadow before them; each individual has a presentiment about his own destiny, which may remain latent: the normal processes of consciousness do not include such presentiments."

"To understand the presence in each individual of a detailed record of personal consciousness it is necessary to take into account the fact that an individual being exists, as it were, on several planes simultaneously, or is capable of so doing. What is loosely termed the subconscious is actively interleaved with the astral levels; the mental and intellectual processes, emanating from the intelligence, link themselves in a living web to the spiritual levels."

In other words, the subconscious is a “conduit” delivering insights from a more universal order of self-awareness. I've always felt that tarot divination works through "subconscious induction," by which sitters impart specific information into the arrangement of the cards through the shuffle and cut, based on their prescient knowledge of the developing situation. Maxwell's observations support this, and also merge it with the viewpoint of many people here that the true origin of tarot insights regarding a sitter's future is the realm of spirit.

But he is also clear on one of my other "sticking points" in reading for others: the active engagement of the querent in the validation of the reader's intuitive perceptions. Here is the full quote that I extracted from the book.

Attachments

• Maxwell on Intuition.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 165

CrystalSeas

I saw the thread title and thought someone had misspelled vaccination

Barleywine

Haha, maybe a reading about the safety of modern vaccination practices? My kids only had a small handful of pre-school immunization shots back in the early '80s and my understanding is that it's far more than that (at least in the US) these days. It's another conspiracy theorist fixation, but one that seems to have legitimate merit. Maybe I should offer a tarot service: "Vaccination Vaticination," that offers to tell parents what the complications of government-mandated vaccinations might be for their offspring. No, scratch that, health risk questions are dicey territory unless one has some credentials.

ETA: Oops, seriously OT, but it doesn't look like this thread is going to get much comment anyway.

CrystalSeas

I'm intrigued by the phrase "coming events cast a shadow before them".

So vaticination is the ability to see and understand those shadows. Tricky. Think about shadow puppets on the wall. Now think about deducing the hand positions needed to cast those 2d shadows.

nisaba

I saw the thread title and thought someone had misspelled vaccination

And me, "Vatican-ation", as in making Tarot more Catholic. :)

Interesting subject, but I don't have much to offer.

Barleywine

I'm intrigued by the phrase "coming events cast a shadow before them".

So vaticination is the ability to see and understand those shadows. Tricky. Think about shadow puppets on the wall. Now think about deducing the hand positions needed to cast those 2d shadows.

I don't think he had any kind of extraordinary psychic sensitivity in mind here, more the ability to correctly relate the cards appearing in the spread to the querent's implicit but probably unconscious understanding of the likely turn of events (related ideas are hunches and premonitions, but on a subconscious level that is ideally more closely attuned to the source). I assume he meant "cast a shadow" on the querent's "inner radar screen;" it becomes a matter of properly interpreting how the cards selected tap into that prescient knowledge, with the active participation of the querent.

Barleywine

And me, "Vatican-ation", as in making Tarot more Catholic. :)

I also thought of a possible "Vatican" association for the word, but didn't pursue it. But I like your allusion: just think about all the Catholics in the world moving to some small country like Ireland. Instant "Vatican Nation." (Apologies to any Irish Protestants here; I didn't mean it, honest!)

Grizabella

When I first read title of the thread, at first glance I thought it was "vaticanization" too. I know the new Pope is pretty unconventional as Popes go, so I thought maybe he'd made a ruling in favor of Tarot or something. :p