Gifted deck, interesting past.

Bearhands

I was recently gifted a vintage 60s French deck from a magician friend. He said there's a whole strange back story from its previous owner, but he didn't want to impress me on the past of the deck, he wanted me to feel it out myself. I reset and shuffled the deck, wrapped it up and placed amethysts on top.
I'm just going to leave it like that for a bit then do it over again.
Any other way to cleanse a deck without stripping it?
Thanks!

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

gregory

I don't know what stripping a deck means - but it will be fine - just use it ! It's just cardboard.

Bearhands

You don't cleanse your decks??

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

gregory

The only thing I have EVER done has been storing them in with lavender candles when they smelt bad.

Other than that - not a single thing, nope.

rwcarter

I have never cleansed a deck in my 25 years of working with tarot. Whenever I've bought or been given a used deck, the most I've done is to put the cards back in order to make sure they're all there. And then like gregory said, I've just started using it.

I'm not sensitive to energies on decks though. But if cleansing the deck feels right to you, go ahead and continue with what you're doing. What works or doesn't work for one reader may not work or work for another one.

Rodney

gregory

Which makes me think - there's likely no solution that works for everyone anyway, so this kind of thread gets tough :)

JustJazzie

I am extremely sensitive to energies on things. I would personally store it with Selenite for a bit. (probably in a grid, because grids are my mojo!)

Selenite is my go-to cleansing stone because of how bright and intense it feels to me. Things can't help but end up recharged/cleansed around it!

Grizabella

I'm another long-time Tarot user who doesn't see the need to "cleanse" any of my decks. And I don't know what "stripping" a deck means, either, but I'm sure I don't do it. :)

I like think I'm leaving all the energy from all the readings I do in the cards. And short of actually washing the cards, I don't see how anything could cleanse them even if I wanted to try.

As others have said, though, to each his/her own. If you're happy and you feel your cards work better the way you do it, then by all means, do whatever it is you feel is necessary.

And before doing your stripping and cleansing stuff, you might want to consider what the past of the deck is. You might be stripping and cleansing it of some awesome positive energy without realizing it.

Laura Borealis

Sounds like the magician friend is just trying to be mysterious.

I don't cleanse decks either, but y'know, do what works for you. :)

TarotTreat

For those who are curious about the meaning of stripping the deck, I believe in this case Bearhands means getting rid of that unique positive energy that comes with vintage objects and heirlooms--like when you get your grandmother's lamp and it sort of feels like her, or when you buy a vintage frame or and it feels extra-special because of that history.

On the topic at hand...
I use selenite too and frequently just let my deck sit out in the moonlight.
Also, if you're like me and believe you can 'program' quartz, you can take a small piece of quartz and ask it to cleanse the deck of negative energies, put it on top of the deck, and then later cleanse the quartz--since that will only be the negative energies, you have no worries for the positive history of the deck. I personally haven't done it, but its worth a shot.