Reading for yourself

bearfoot

Apologies in advance if this is a very tired topic or if I've posted in the wrong category (I'm very new to this site) but how do people feel about reading tarot cards for themselves? Do you find it accurate? Recently I'd decided to stop reading them for myself as I found it too biased and difficult to interpret without my own thoughts getting in the way. How do you guys feel?

bearfoot

That's great!! Thanks!!

Ace

I am sorry if I too am repeating other threads, but I find that after you start to get proficient at tarot, reading for yourself is as you say, too biased.

So if you MUST read for yourself. Get someone else to do it or use the LWB that came with the deck and follow the meanings there. That way you can't "cheat".
barb

SunChariot

Apologies in advance if this is a very tired topic or if I've posted in the wrong category (I'm very new to this site) but how do people feel about reading tarot cards for themselves? Do you find it accurate? Recently I'd decided to stop reading them for myself as I found it too biased and difficult to interpret without my own thoughts getting in the way. How do you guys feel?

I know some people can read for themselves and others can't.

I never had any real trouble with it, but at the same time I know better than to try to read for myself on anything super-emotional. I know better than to try as I don't trust myself on those issues to stay impartial enough. Usually I have someone else read for me on those kinds of questions.

But otherwise it's all fine. When I started out I read only for myself, for the first 8 months or so. Honestly, I was very happy going on that way. I had no desire to read for anyone else at all, just to use Tarot to figure out my life, my best paths, and well...life in general.

It was only when friends started begging me to read for them that I started reading for others at all. I was happy enough just reading for myself at the time.

The thing with reading for yourself well I think is that you have to be able to not care which cards or which answer comes up. You have to just want truth, no matter what that may be and not care what comes up.

The trick to that for me is to remember and trust that MOST things the cards predict in the future do not have to happen. I believe it's like 99% of the time that we can still change things in our future we don't want to come. BUT we can only take the steps to create change IF we know what is coming.

Put another way....most people are happy to hear predictions about the future that show the future as they want it to be. But imagine this: What if something WERE coming in the future that you did not want to happen? That is when you REALLY] want and need to know it. So that you can change it. If you don't know what it coming, there is nothing to work on to change.

If you don't know this thing you don't want it coming, then you keep on the same path and WHAM it hits, period. If you know you can take an alternative path and end up in a different place.

Let's say for example that a reading could tell you that your bf was going to get angry and something you said tomorrow night and leave you. If you didn't know, that would be the future, period. IF you were able to just ask the cards yourself with no fear and knowing what they say does not have to be (the future that the cards predict is rarely set in stone) and you had this information, THEN you could ask them what it was that would bring on those feelings, and how to avoid going there...and change the future. And voila you would still be together after tomorrow night.

I think the idea, for me at least, to not preferring one answer over another is to believe that what the cards say does not have to be permanent. It is JUST where you are heading now and no more or less than that. Where you are heading now does not have to be where you end up.

Those are my beliefs on that: that the future as predicted by the cards is not set in stone, that we can change it, but ONLY If we have that info that tells us we need to create change. That info is what saves us, what ensures we end up where we want to, and lets us change a wrong path to a right one. I WANT to know where things are heading no matter what comes up. Good news, great. Bad news, even better, Then I can act to change the outcome to a good one. But first I need to know. The knowing is hugely important.

So that is what it is for me, I really want truth only, no matter what form it takes. I'm not scared to see something in the future I don't want to be there. To me it's nothing more than a sort of stepping stone I need to climb over to get to somewhere better. I believe that if I put my "self" and feelings into things that I am getting in my own way of getting valuable info that can truly help me. I think if you really believe that, you train yourself not to, over time.

So yes, I find reading for myself very accurate. I don't put my own thoughts into it. I do have to be in almost a meditative state to read well.

In fact, I read mainly intuitively through card images. And I have over 100 decks that I use. I do that purposely so there is a long long time between each time that I use the very same deck. That way when a specific card on a specific deck comes up, I have no memory of what it's image said to me last time. That keeps it fresh for me, so I can see the image again almost as if for the first time.

...hope some of this helps,

Babs

nisaba

When I read for strangers I have no knowledge of them or their circunstances, so I have only intuition to go on.

When I read for friends, I know a bit about them, and sometimes that can get in the way.

When I read for myself, not only do I know heaps about myself, but I'm all emotional. And emotions shout a lot louder than the quiet whisper of intuition.

I take part in up to about three exchange-circles a month here. That gives me all the readings I could possibly need, without my own emotions getting in the way. Plus I get to read for others, always a bonus!

IndigoViolet

Sometimes you are all soaked with emotion, then later when you look at the cards again, you understand things better

:)

Barleywine

Self-reading is how I learned to put card combinations together, and it was the only way I read in the beginning since there wasn't much of a social outlet for it. (No internet and very little esoteric group activity.) It was a "side-project" to my astrological studies that eventually became my main interest. I don't read for myself much any more, preferring the objectivity of horary astrology.

Falcor

Since I have started to read for others it's harder and harder to read for myself. For all the reasons above. It upsets me sometimes.

Achlys

I haven't had any issues with reading for myself. But if it is something I'm overly attached to, I won't read regarding it.
It's good practice and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. They're great for looking back on and seeing how the card interpretations worked out.