Told you are wrong

NamasteIndia

I was reading at a charity event. A guy came up for reading. I felt a strange energy. But i read for him anyway

He said that my readings are off. Whatever i mentioned everything is opposite of that.

How do you react when this happens???

Well i told him i will do a other reading he said OK

Then after i did that reading he paid and went off.

Does this happen with others??

How should i have reacted??

rwcarter

Sometimes Querents don't want to hear what the Reader has to say. So instead of facing something they don't want to hear, the Reader is automatically wrong. Depending on what you revealed to him, he may have been too embarrassed to acknowledge or admit it right then and there.

It's possible you were wrong, but it's also possible that you were right and the issue was with the client, not the reading. Sounds like you did the right thing by offering another reading. You also could've offered a full or partial refund. (Which you effectively also did by reading again for him because by giving him a second reading, you weren't making any additional money from reading for a different person.)

Rodney

Smiling

When people are being really fixed in their opinions, I find that saying "Maybe you're right" is helpful. It's kind of non-committal and agreeable at the same time, and seems to do the trick of smoothing out ruffled feathers.

i agree with the points that Rodney makes, as well. And I find that if I'm not attached to my own opinion, it's easier to let it roll off me after they leave. Hard one to do, I know, but worth trying! :D

NamasteIndia

Sometimes Querents don't want to hear what the Reader has to say. So instead of facing something they don't want to hear, the Reader is automatically wrong. Depending on what you revealed to him, he may have been too embarrassed to acknowledge or admit it right then and there.

It's possible you were wrong, but it's also possible that you were right and the issue was with the client, not the reading. Sounds like you did the right thing by offering another reading. You also could've offered a full or partial refund. (Which you effectively also did by reading again for him because by giving him a second reading, you weren't making any additional money from reading for a different person.)

Rodney

i dont collect money beforehand.

after reading is over they pay me. this was first time after several years i did public reading.
so since he complained about poor reading so i did another reading.

it was disheartening and hurting.
need thick shell to deal with such issues.

NamasteIndia

When people are being really fixed in their opinions, I find that saying "Maybe you're right" is helpful. It's kind of non-committal and agreeable at the same time, and seems to do the trick of smoothing out ruffled feathers.

i agree with the points that Rodney makes, as well. And I find that if I'm not attached to my own opinion, it's easier to let it roll off me after they leave. Hard one to do, I know, but worth trying! :D

maybe i could have re read the reading and asked him about each and every card and reinterpreted them.

probing more deeply on the same spread would have done a better effect
or since i was scared off by his standoffish behaviour i just went onto do a other reading.

Grizabella

I know how it can feel and I'm sorry you had that kind of experience.

I think the most important thing for you to do is NOT take it personally. We don't always get the messages right. And often, as others have said, the sitter will deny the reading when it's spot on. Also, way down the line somewhere, you may see that person again and they'll say, "You were right on that reading! I just didn't believe it at that time." I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that.

You reacted exactly right, as your instincts guided you to do. Don't let readings like that take you down. As long as you read the cards to the best of your ability, you've been successful even if your sitter doesn't admit it. And often they aren't "not admitting it" anyway. They just don't see how it could be right.

think

Sorry you had to deal with that, how awful.

It seems a very odd response to just tell a reader they are wrong. Well even when a reading doesn't really resonate, it's not because they are point blank wrong, but perhaps they didn't quite grasp the situation as it is or they didn't answer specifically what the querant really wanted to know.

Unless you made exact statements like "you're a teacher" or "you met your wife travelling in China".

Anyway, whatever the reading was and whatever his reaction, move on and remember that most other querants get value from your readings. Even if you were wrong, it happens to everyone.

ravenest

What the big deal, we all make mistakes and no one has a perfect sport, hobby or work record.

I had a reading the other day that was very wrong .... in many ways .

Tarot isnt infallible , nor is the reader .

teawoman

He sounds like he might be one of the scoffers, who are out to prove readers wrong or fake. Listen to the good advice from the others here, and then phooey on him!

SunChariot

I was reading at a charity event. A guy came up for reading. I felt a strange energy. But i read for him anyway

He said that my readings are off. Whatever i mentioned everything is opposite of that.

How do you react when this happens???

Well i told him i will do a other reading he said OK

Then after i did that reading he paid and went off.

Does this happen with others??

How should i have reacted??

I don't read in person, so how to handle it may be a bit different if the person is there in front of you.

BUT, just to say I remember once GETTING a reading that I thought was exactly the opposite of the truth for me. I thought everything in it was upside down and inside out, and just the opposite of the truth. It really upset me too that the querent could see that in me or my life. I told her she could not be more wrong and did not want to have anything more to do with her.

It was a written reading, and it upset me. I kept feeling drawn to reread it...Within a week I realized that she could not have been more write. I couldn't believe I could not see it all along.

That is the thing sometimes ...that I learnt from that...a querent can be really sure that what you told them is the opposite of the truth. And yet it could still be spot on. Sometimes we don't see ourselves clearly, have some mental blocks about things we do not want to see or recognize in ourselves, ...are in denial about some facts in our lives. That happens.

Of course it also happens on occasion that a reader is wrong. I also remember years ago seeing the topic was about confidence. I went the wrong way, I told them how very confident they were and they said the EXACT opposite was true. And they were actually in therapy for it. Maybe it was wrong, or maybe the reader wanted them to focus on the positive, not the negative. To put the focus on the times they WERE confident and not focus on the times they weren't. All the same it did not go over big with the querent. That's IS uncomfortable. But well, NO ONE and no reader is going to be perfect. No human being is.

But it can still also happen that we can tell someone the absolute truth and they can swear we are wrong.

If it was a reading on the future, of course the querent can't know for sure if it is truth of not. As the future has not yet unfolded. I would tell them to wait and see.

If it is on the present, that's a bit harder. As you don't know for sure if it is right or wrong just because they say so. I think I might tell them about my experience (above) and ask them for now to let it settle and take time to see how the topic that came up pertain to where they are right now in relation to the question asked. I think I'd let them think it over for a week or so and if they don't see truth in it, then I think I would do another reading for them to replace the first.

But how YOU should react...in a way that it true to you, to who you are inside, and that reflects the kind of reader you want to be in this world. Obviously, the answer to that is not the same for everyone as we are all individuals.

Babs