Told you are wrong

Ace

I am sorry that happened, NamasteIndia. Sometimes we just can't read someone it happens to us all. So you just say, "sorry, sometimes I just can't read for you." make is your fault although it is really theirs: sometimes someone is not really open and can't be read.

Let it go and move on to the next person.

barb

IndigoWaves

Well i told him i will do a other reading he said OK

Then after i did that reading he paid and went off.

Does this happen with others??

How should i have reacted??
I'm sorry that this happened to you. I'd never be brave enough to do in-person/paid readings myself, so I admire those who can. However, I'm also curious about that "second reading" (if you don't mind sharing more details, that is)...

For it, did you consciously present card meanings that were closer to what he wanted to hear (an understandable reaction, if he was intimidating/unnerving)... Or did very different cards actually come out the second time, thus allowing for a more accurate read (without having to "stretch" meanings)?

If the latter is what happened, then maybe his first, inaccurate reading was just the result of some leftover vibes from the previous sitter... But this guy's "strange energy" also has me wondering what the cards initially said, which was (according to him) so "wrong": I'd be interested to know the topic/question of his reading, if possible. Cheers.

Saskia

To me it sounds like a scammer client, to be honest. It's quite unlikely that absolutely everything would be the exact opposite - it's more likely that what you say just doesn't resonate at all, or doesn't ring any bells. If he was happy after your second reading and paid, I think he simply wanted to get more for the same money and kept denying what you said, in hopes of getting discount or a free reading. Not everyone is honest out there...

alternatively, it could be that he was so guarded that you couldn't get anything right; or he hindered your reading by being hostile (it's more difficult to read when we get nervous).

Don't take to heart, it happens! However, it's easier said than done. I've stopped doing live readings because I couldn't handle the negative energy from some; nor the serial sitters who won't accept that for their life to change, THEY must change it, not sit and wait for divine intervention they expect the cards to somehow deliver.

Disa

I've only had this happen once. I haven't read face to face for a large amount of total strangers, less than 100 probably. Once I was at a relative's house who wanted a reading and she had gathered quite a few people there for me to read. One by one they came into the room and things were going fine. Then, a man came in who I had not met before. I asked if he had any questions and he said he didn't, so I just laid out the cards for a general reading. What came up and what I said seemed very clear to me, but he would say, "No, No none of this is making any sense for me, I don't think this applies, etc etc." He had never had a reading before, so I was more concerned that I had made a bad impression of Tarot readers in general and he would go on thinking we were all bad due to this one experience. Anyway, I told him I'm sorry that the reading didn't resonate and there was no need for him to pay me. Later after he left, one of my relatives (who was his girlfriend) came to me and said I was absolutely accurate with everything I said to him. He didn't know how to respond or how to face the situation and so he just said everything was off. He was uncomfortable getting a reading and uncomfortable with the situation being addressed.

So, I guess what I learned from that is, all we can do is read what we see. we can't be responsible for how the sitter takes the information or reacts to it. We've delivered the message the best we can, the rest is up to them. Of course we can always be wrong, but sometimes, as mentioned above, we don't really know that until much later. So, I'm sorry you had an experience like this, but as others said, don't take it personally. Use it as a teachable moment and just move on. xoxox

Barleywine

I'm in a slightly different situation with my professional readings. The shop I read at takes payment in advance, sets up the readings with my concurrence and then pays me when I'm done. So, essentially, "it is what it is" as far as the results are concerned, and I'm not aware of refunds being offered; but I've had no complaints so I guess I wouldn't know how that would go.

I do try to give complete satisfaction, though, and if the reading doesn't connect immediately from a practical perspective, I'll try a more abstract (usually psychological) angle, where there's a bit more "wiggle room". As I mentioned in another thread, I'll often say "I see your point" (as long as they make one and don't just flatly disagree), and then explain how I think it might fit into the overall picture, always trying to steer it back to what the cards are showing at some level of the sitter's personal reality.

As I see it, the best readings are a dialogue, not a monologue, and even after decades of doing it I almost always learn something new about the interaction between the querent's circumstances and the combination of cards every time I read. A big part of it is acknowledging that clients are much more aware of the details of the situation (even if only subconsciously) than I am, so I try to get them talking and build their observations into the narrative. But they still have to be willing to hold up their end.

JoJoCat

I'm so sorry you experienced that difficulty. My first thought was that he is a person who is never happy with any type of service. You know, the kind of person who finds fault with everything, super critical.

I think you handled it well, especially for an on-the-fly response where you were surprised. I've had a sitter kind of fight me on everything the cards and I were saying but no one come outright and say I was wrong. In addition to being unnecessarily critical, his behavior was also rude-- but if I were you, I'd feel proud-- you stayed calm and went above and beyond what you had to do and you gave him a second reading for free!

The only lesson I might take away from the situation might be to follow my gut-- you said you had a weird feeling from him so maybe if that happens again, you could say you were just about to use the restroom to maybe avoid reading for him (though of course he might have come back...)

celticnoodle

It is possible that you were wrong, and it is also possible that the guy you read for just refused to accept what you had to say. We can't be right 100% of the time and people often refuse to believe and accept the things going on around them.

I've had readings done for me by various people and it turned out to be incorrect. Then, I realize a day or two later that it was incorrect for me, but was exactly correct for my daughter or for my sister, to whom I was very, very close to. This happens A LOT to me, even with very seasoned and good card readers. So, maybe what you were getting in the cards wasn't for this man--but for someone very close to him?

Jen P

What great responses!!! I've learned a lot.

I am sorry this has happened to you, but try to see it as an opportunity/learning lesson.

The only thing that I can add to the wonderful previous posts are a few thoughts of my own.

Personally, I read better with some sort of context. I try to have as much dialogue as possible with the sitter. Once I went to a reader and noticed that she couldn't read the cards at all without me explaining the situation for which I was coming to her. After I explained, then she was great. If you can get them talking, that would help. For someone who is silent, you just have to be confident in your abilities. I agree with all the prior posts that you handled it very well. And the forum members had lots of good ideas on how to deal with this type of thing in the future. Listen to your gut; if it tells you something is wrong, you can always decline to read for that person. I do some quick astrology on the person before I do a reading, so I can and do say to them: "Sorry, your Sun is on my South Node - I don't feel comfortable reading for you." Or maybe you could do a quick one card pull and see what you get. If you get the Tower you can say you're not comfortable reading for them. Even if you get the Sun, you can say that. They usually don't' know any tarot and even if they did, you can still say it's just a feeling you get and that you'd rather not read for them. Or you can compromise and do a three card reading. Whatever you feel is right is what you should do. You'll get more confidence and build better boundaries as you do more public readings. Good luck to you!!! Namaste!!!

NamasteIndia

What great responses!!! I've learned a lot.

I am sorry this has happened to you, but try to see it as an opportunity/learning lesson.

The only thing that I can add to the wonderful previous posts are a few thoughts of my own.

Personally, I read better with some sort of context. I try to have as much dialogue as possible with the sitter. Once I went to a reader and noticed that she couldn't read the cards at all without me explaining the situation for which I was coming to her. After I explained, then she was great. If you can get them talking, that would help. For someone who is silent, you just have to be confident in your abilities. I agree with all the prior posts that you handled it very well. And the forum members had lots of good ideas on how to deal with this type of thing in the future. Listen to your gut; if it tells you something is wrong, you can always decline to read for that person. I do some quick astrology on the person before I do a reading, so I can and do say to them: "Sorry, your Sun is on my South Node - I don't feel comfortable reading for you." Or maybe you could do a quick one card pull and see what you get. If you get the Tower you can say you're not comfortable reading for them. Even if you get the Sun, you can say that. They usually don't' know any tarot and even if they did, you can still say it's just a feeling you get and that you'd rather not read for them. Or you can compromise and do a three card reading. Whatever you feel is right is what you should do. You'll get more confidence and build better boundaries as you do more public readings. Good luck to you!!! Namaste!!!
I was planning to do this pull out a card before next person comes in so i can be prepared to face the tune
Yesterday at charity event a lady just took reading and paid less and walked away.

NamasteIndia

About this guy i noticed next day that he had a stall in the same event and his sister was selling handmade jewellery.
Some of his relatives walked in for a tarot reading. I found that strange since he had disapproved the readings.
But his relatives agreed with the reading unlike him.

Also 2-3 other people also couldnt connect with the reading i had done they were saying its not gelling

So yes in some case its happening the reading is going off